Author Topic: remove ladders from battle  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
Re: remove ladders from battle
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 12:17:46 pm »
It's not possible to make it so ladders can't be destroyed but you can lower them just like a normal ladder?

This would pretty much solve the campers that destroy the ladders so no one can attack them.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »
yeah but that would mean a ladder spam all around the map, so don't know if that would be a good idea. Is it possible to make torches set fire to buildings maybe?   Of course not as in really letting the buildings themselves burn, but sorta make people close to/on them take burn damage?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »
If map makers don't want people on roofs, they'd put invisible walls on them.

If map makers wanted people on roofs, they would place the in-game ladders at those roof tops.

Hoisted on your own petard!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:58 pm »
I make maps and I put barriers on roofs I don't want to give access. I also leave 1-2 roofs open for archers. But those roofs always have a permanent access point. Because of the way people will exploit anything, I am also forced to put barriers around the entire map as well as a ceiling to prevent ladders to heaven.

If ladders are not removed, the people in charge of putting maps on servers should reject all maps without these precautions and retro-fit old maps to meet this criteria. I'd even volunteer to do that shit because I hate ladder campers so much. If you see a problem on one of my maps, please let me know so I can patch it up. Heavy laggy forest map, bloody/smokey/fire battlefield, and two keeps over a river with rope bridges connecting are mine.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:00 pm »
No.

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:52 am »
You can't take ladders out, archers do need to be on the roof because they can't defend well in melee.  Not everything in this game should be for 2h crossbow or lancers. 
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 12:49:38 am »
You can't take ladders out, archers do need to be on the roof because they can't defend well in melee. 

No.
2hers require 1 wpf to be used efficiently so your can't melee comment is full of shit.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Armitage_Shanks

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 14
  • One kind word, can change the World.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA & Krems!!!
  • Game nicks: Armitage_Shanks
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:41 am »
Imho ladders are very good to have in the game to spice things up and they arent abused too often. If archers are camping on roofs, either bring ur own ladder or pull out ur xbow or throwing weapons. Shields also offer protection from arrows/bolts until the kick votes force them off the roof. The community usually gives very negative vibes to the roof campers in game and I mostly carry a small ladder to sneakily get behind them.

Ladders for President xD

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 03:27:41 am »
If admins can't be on enough or if they can't agree on how to enforce leeching/delay/ladder rules yes they should be removed  from battle.  I actually like the dynamic they can add to a battle map but latley things are just getting out of hand.

I think this is the crux of the issue for me.  Right now enforcement is hard to pin down.  I mean, the rule is that you can't stay there if you are the last one, but then we get into this issue of enemy teams breaking ladders to force the come-down (which seems up in the air based on another thread where someone got kicked for doing that) and a bunch of constructed rules to try to enforce this issue.  Where do you draw the line between inaccessible and just really really hard to access? For example if you can get to a place easily with a ladder but it requires lots of rooftop hopping from someone who knows a lot about a map, what happens if the ladder is destroyed?  I'll tell you what, it will be dependent on the current online admin's knowledge of the map, and I'd bet that not all admins will know every map's nook and cranny and be able to make uniform decisions.

I agree that ladders can add a dimension to maps, but unless the rules around them can get hammered down they seem ripe for abuse.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:37 am »
most rooftops are still campable without player ladders

infact player ladders make it easier to get to campers generally.