Author Topic: Thrower/1h Shielder Hybrid Build  (Read 946 times)

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Thrower/1h Shielder Hybrid Build
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:02 pm »
So I'm thinking of making a change from my usual 24/15 shielder build and after messing around with the builder I have this :

STR : 21
AGI : 15

PS : 7
PT : 7
Shield : 5
Ath : 5
WM : 5

1h : 110
Throwing : 116

How does this look?  I'm slightly concerned that no IF combined with having to wear lighter gear will make me too slow and squishy  :shock: but this is my first real attempt at creating a hybrid  :|

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
Re: Thrower/1h Shielder Hybrid Build
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:31 pm »
I just was trying it on shielder, with good 1h sword killing is easier then with heavy throwing axes, and my opinion will be allways that 5 ath is too slow,
i dont know on what server you play, but on eu1 more people go agi.
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
I just was trying it on shielder, with good 1h sword killing is easier then with heavy throwing axes, and my opinion will be allways that 5 ath is too slow,
i dont know on what server you play, but on eu1 more people go agi.

I'm EU too, 99% of the time EU1 or 2, I've been a high str low agi shielder for about 12 gens now  :? had a break from the game for a bit until recently but before that I could crank out some very respectable performances when I played well, I find that 5 ath holds up pretty well unless I'm in a situation where I'd be dead with higher anyways (I dont run away enough lol), 5 shield can be iffy though  :(

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,29149.msg429000.html#new

I used this guide quite a bit towards making the build I have above, very nice guide btw  :D, anyone able to comment at the size of the reticule at around 95ish effective wpf?

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »
+1
My build is

21 str
15 agi

2 IF
7 PS
5 PT
5 WM
5 ATH
5 Shield

112 1h
111 throw

usually I wear some leather type armor, cuz I want to run a cash surplus. Total gear value on my light setup is 26k, protect is 40 head/28 body/28 leg. If I want to a bit heavier I have room on my build, just enough WPF throwing to keep using my 5 PT with 40 head/46 body/44 leg. That's about the max I can wear before I start taking PT penalties. Personally I think you are going too high at PT7, you will never be able to wear more than 25-30 armour then (maybe you could wear some bigger bodypiece, but no helmet or gloves). Anything about PT 5 or maybe 6 (if you really want spears) is for pure throwers not hybrids.

As for 5 athletics, I think you'll be fine, that is what your shield is for, just learn your range and close your distance with your shield up to absorb those long range hits  while you move in. Personally I use a very short range weapon (1h broad axe - 73 length) and fight with a facehugging style, no problem at all. This is part of what throwing solves, is some super AGI guy with a long poleaxe trying to keep you out of range? turn around, back off a bit, pull out your throwing weapon, and pop him with it! Now he will come back and run in to keep you in melee!

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
you'll find throwing quite innacurate at some times sadly

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:59:58 pm »
My build is

21 str
15 agi

2 IF
7 PS
5 PT
5 WM
5 ATH
5 Shield

112 1h
111 throw

usually I wear some leather type armor, cuz I want to run a cash surplus. Total gear value on my light setup is 26k, protect is 40 head/28 body/28 leg. If I want to a bit heavier I have room on my build, just enough WPF throwing to keep using my 5 PT with 40 head/46 body/44 leg. That's about the max I can wear before I start taking PT penalties. Personally I think you are going too high at PT7, you will never be able to wear more than 25-30 armour then (maybe you could wear some bigger bodypiece, but no helmet or gloves). Anything about PT 5 or maybe 6 (if you really want spears) is for pure throwers not hybrids.

As for 5 athletics, I think you'll be fine, that is what your shield is for, just learn your range and close your distance with your shield up to absorb those long range hits  while you move in. Personally I use a very short range weapon (1h broad axe - 73 length) and fight with a facehugging style, no problem at all. This is part of what throwing solves, is some super AGI guy with a long poleaxe trying to keep you out of range? turn around, back off a bit, pull out your throwing weapon, and pop him with it! Now he will come back and run in to keep you in melee!

Nice post, useful info  :) I was thinking of 5PT and 2IF myself before I posted, though tbh I think I got a bit carried away with the RAWR PT NOM NOM aspect of the build lol.  The whole forcing close combat is a big factor in my looking at this build, along with stopping runners and bringing down the cav players who don't leave themselves exposed to my short 1hander.  Out of curiousity what throwing weapon do you use? I'm looking at javs, maybe spears, depending on what I decide regarding the armor thing.  Is one stack enough?

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »
I used Jarids for a long time now switched to heavy axes. I didn't like Javelins I found them a bit too weak, I find they didn't have the stopping power of jarids and even with pierce damage, heavier players just laughed off Javelins.

Heavy axes don't hit tincans as quite as hard as jarid (still hard enough), but hurt everyone else pretty bad, and unarmoured horses too. They have a few other advantages over jarids, they have a much faster wind-up speed, which is important tactically cuz sometimes you have really have a good chance to get a shot in, but not much time. Also they are a bit more accurate. Not much more but it was pretty noticable and nice when I switched to them. Axes are also much easier to retrieve off the ground, they really stand out while Jarids and Javs get lost easily, which is a small +.

I spent a long time using just 1 stack and a big 2 slot shield. Recently switched to 2 stacks and a 1 slot shield. I bought a set of +3 axes and wanted to get more use out of them, and found a 7.5 weight shield to be enough.  I really like the extra axes (sweet sweet +3 ones), and get about half my kills now on battle with them, bring down a lot of horses too. if you're just starting as a thrower tho you can just stick with one, saves you a bit of money, and it will teach you to use them better & more carefully if you have a more limited supply.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:31:56 pm by Turboflex »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »
As a 1h/thrower hybrid, I also prefer Heavy Axes to Jarids. Main reasons:

1. Because their trajectory arcs more, you can throw them over teammates into the enemy
2. They tend to find people's heads more. Can't explain why, they just do
3. Cheaper
4. More likely to one-shot people in very light armor with only 4-5 power throw
5. Secondary mode allows you to bring a sword/mace/pick as main weapon and still have a shieldbreaker available. Turbo, I assumed that you would prefer Jarids since you already use an axe as your main weapon
6. And now, loomed Heavy Throwing Axes look badass with Final Boss' heirloom pack

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:40:33 pm by Phew »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:40 pm »
So I'm thinking of making a change from my usual 24/15 shielder build and after messing around with the builder I have this :

STR : 21
AGI : 15

PS : 7
PT : 7
Shield : 5
Ath : 5
WM : 5

1h : 110
Throwing : 116

How does this look?  I'm slightly concerned that no IF combined with having to wear lighter gear will make me too slow and squishy  :shock: but this is my first real attempt at creating a hybrid  :|

too much PT for a hybrid, dont go over 5 at the most.

you can wear about 15lb body armor if you wear medium helm and light gloves

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:44:32 pm »
You will need no less than 98 effective WPF to take advantage of 7PT and be able to pick up missed projectiles from the ground.  That's why 7PT is a bit too high for a hybrid unless you don't mind running around half naked.  This is my build:

Strength: 18
    Agility: 18
    Hit points: 53

Skills to attributes: 2

Power Strike: 6
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 6
    Power Throw: 6
    Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 120
    Throwing: 117

With this I can wear gear that provides 26H, 53B and 42L armor without penalty.  Oh, and jarids for the win.  40 pierce damage with a good missile speed and it still does bonus damage to shields.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »
Wow lots of good replies, thanks all, gonna listen to advice and go with 5PT, I'll give both javs and axes a whirl just to see if I have a particular knack for one above the other but axes seem the favorite right now, now I just need to find a new gear set that looks good  :P

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:36 pm »
5. Secondary mode allows you to bring a sword/mace/pick as main weapon and still have a shieldbreaker available. Turbo, I assumed that you would prefer Jarids since you already use an axe as your main weapon

Like I said I've used both extensively and found the faster wind up speed, better accuracy and big cut damage make it the better weapon in a lot of situations except stopping power vs heavy armour (even then 48 cut still hurts). Lower cost and easier pickup don't hurt either.

The secondary doesn't really factor, I use a broad axe as a 1h for other reasons, tho I could see it being nice if you carried a sword or pick as your 1h and had the option to use the axe alt-mode as a shieldbreaker.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:06:52 pm by Turboflex »