Poll

Having your shield at the ready should reduce the damage from horse bumps

Yes
15 (60%)
No
10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Horse bump and shields  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Horse bump and shields
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 05:21:37 am »
This thread is about damage done to someone being reduced by 50% because they have their shield up, which is completely retarded. It reminds me of those cold war videos that tell you if you duck and cover under your desk you will be safe from a nuclear bomb. Shield or no shield you get hurt badly, and with a shield it can be slammed into your face or it can break you arm as i already stated doing more damage to you.

Oh wait! I get to use your own argumentative style against you now!

Ahem! "I did not know that having a horse hit you was like having your body blasted by a nuclear shock wave, fireball and radiation!"

Once again. Energy imparted on impact is the same. Except with a shield the energy is diffused across the entire body. Without it, all of that energy is imparted to ONLY the area hit, ie, your knees, your shoulder, your face, your arm. All of which would shatter from the same impact that an entire body can absorb and shrug off when diffused by a shield. If you can't get that concept, we are done.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 05:23:52 am »
The main problem as far as I'm concerned is that armour reduces damage from horse bumps by a lot. Which doesn't make sense. I can understand armour proecting you from a strikes blah blah blah that all makes perfect sense. But getting hurt by being thrown violently to the ground by a massive animal is something else all together. Horse bump damage needs to be reduced and needs to bypass armour rating.

Also on a personal note. I've been run over 3 times by cars and I've been lucky enough to come out of all of them with no injuries. One car ran me over when I was 6 while I was crossing the road, it was doing about 50kmph. I got thrown through the air and landed on my knees and some how only got scratches on my knees. The second time I was about 10 and a car came up behind me while I was on my bike and ran me over, I got hit by the bumper and thrown over my bike as it got sucked under the car and destroyed. I cat rolled the landing and didn't get hurt at all. The 3rd time I was riding down a hill when I was 15 and a car drove out of its drive way very quickly (the drive way ran almost parralel to the street so the car came straight out on to the street facing me) and got onto the road and was doing maybe 20 when I slammed into the front of it and bounced of the windscreen, again I didn't get hurt.

Now admitedly that was all luck, I broke my left arm in a fist fight and blew the cartalige out on my left knee falling off a bike going about 5kmph. And it proves very little, but it does demonstrate that being thrown about doesn't = DOOM.

Also the point about the shield isn't that the SHIELD is reducing the damage, the idea is that your facing into the impact, bracing and then taking the fall properly. Crushing some doof running away should deliver more damage than hitting some one thats ready for it.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:24 am »
Oh wait! I get to use your own argumentative style against you now!

Ahem! "I did not know that having a horse hit you was like having your body blasted by a nuclear shock wave, fireball and radiation!"

Once again. Energy imparted on impact is the same. Except with a shield the energy is diffused across the entire body. Without it, all of that energy is imparted to ONLY the area hit, ie, your knees, your shoulder, your face, your arm. All of which would shatter from the same impact that an entire body can absorb and shrug off when diffused by a shield. If you can't get that concept, we are done.

If your trying to make that argument, the surface area of a sheild is less than that of your body, so the force is being displaced less when you have a sheild up meaning you would get hit harder. Technically it doesnt even matter, you get hit the sheild will be driven into your body and your body will still take the full brunt of the impact so the surface area that the force is being displaced over is still the same, the sheild will not displace any of the force. It would only be decplaed if you could actually hold the sheild up against the force of the horse, which you can not, and again even if you could you would just be getting hit even harder. And phyiscs does not take account for density in the Newtons = mass * acceleration, but it tends to hold true that an object that has alot of mass is also very dense, and a horse is dense, but it is not as dense as a steel sheild that would be slammed into your face, so you would take even more damage than physics might tell you, its still a shit ton either way.

Also all plate/chain mail armor had leather padding on the inside, making the armor function similar to football pads, which do in fact work in cushioning the blow, which is why armor reduces the damage taken when being hit by a horse. The devs are smart people and they know there stuff when it comes to this. If you think that you are right and they are wrong thats just arrogance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:24:42 am by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 07:25:16 am »
This is upsetting me. Listen to Rumblood, he's the only one that's making sense :\

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:06 am »
So what about padded leather?

Anyway, this isn't about REALISM. This is about game balance. The amount of damage a soft target takes vs an armored target is too extreme. With 29 Armour and 42 hp 2-3 horse bumps were killing me. When I went to 38 armour it went up to 6-8 with the same amount of health. That is just stupid. And that is what I have a problem with, the magic line in ultra light inf under which you die when people on horses look at you funny.

I don't want the damage removed but there is this line under which being naked and having Armour against horse bumps are the same bloody thing.
Fammi un pompino!

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »
The only thing cav has on me is bump damage.  99 percent of the time that is how I get killed by cav.  It is cheap and retarded. 

If I am going to get hurt by getting run over by a horse.  The the rider should get hurt if we kill the horse while he is riding at full speed.  The fall should hurt the rider.

Also I should have a chance to hit the rider off the horse without killing the horse.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »
So what about padded leather?

Anyway, this isn't about REALISM. This is about game balance. The amount of damage a soft target takes vs an armored target is too extreme. With 29 Armour and 42 hp 2-3 horse bumps were killing me. When I went to 38 armour it went up to 6-8 with the same amount of health. That is just stupid. And that is what I have a problem with, the magic line in ultra light inf under which you die when people on horses look at you funny.

I don't want the damage removed but there is this line under which being naked and having Armour against horse bumps are the same bloody thing.

Going back to the analogy of football padding, in the earily 1900s they used just leather pads like leather helmets. Now they use helmets that have a hard exterior and padding on the inside as its much more effective at absoring the blow and protecting the user. Its the same thing with plate armor vs padded leather armor. More bump damage with ligher armor is just part of the standard trade of you get with heavy vs light armor in all situations. If you wanna have cheap repair bills and be able to move really fast you can wear leather armor, but you will take more damage from everythign weather it be a sword hit or being run over by a horse, its balance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:23:16 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:54 pm »
The the rider should get hurt if we kill the horse while he is riding at full speed.

Also I should have a chance to hit the rider off the horse without killing the horse.

Both are already possible. quit complaining

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 07:13:25 am »
He means when you jump the horse with your shield up.

TBH I always thought it would be cool that if when I jumped over other cav I could clobber them off there horse with my horse.

Perhaps this http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,26982.0.html could be merged with this hate of agi chars being bumped off. Reduce the damage taken from falls and horse bumps.
Fammi un pompino!