Author Topic: Have to bring up roman armour again  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Re: Have to bring up roman armour again
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 02:41:21 am »
Look, more than most folks, I love historical accuracy.  But personally, I think it'd be great to have Roman or Greek weapons and armor.  With all the talk of folks being Hoplites... it'd actually be awesome to wear the armor and use the weapons of true Greek Hoplites.  I'd love to see a Xiphos (or roman Gladius) in game.  I think the Throwing Lance and Huscral Shield could easily substitute in the Greek Hoplite armory.  But there's really no short sword to substitute for the xiphos/gladius.  Also, Roman Banded armor and Greek Breastplate would be nice to have.

And folks arguments seem to be that the Roman armor/weapons would be out of place in a game that is based on Medieval European weapons/armor.  However, that's not the case for cRPG.  Maybe the original M&B... but not cRPG.  First off, the Middle Ages (Medieval) spanned from the 5th century AD to the 15th century.  For 1000 years.  To even have armors from the Mid-Medieval up against armors from late-Medieval is out of place.  To have Norseman (Vikings) up against folks dressed in Gothic Full-Plate (which is actually 16th century, post-Medieval) is way out of place.  Much less mix in Japanese Samurai armors/weapons... having folks play ninjas and everything in between.

Personally, I wouldn't be against seeing the Samurai and Eastern armors out of the game.  But that's not going to happen.  So why not bring in the Roman/Greek armors & weapons?

With all that said... I understand that there's more pressing matters at hand than adding new armors & weapons.  But I ask... are those matters going to get addressed?  If not, then why not spend that time on adding new armors & weapons.  Also, if you can just borrow the skins for the armors & weapons from an existing mod... then I'd think it wouldn't be that time consuming (at least I think... I don't have such experience to really say so).

I think two of the most important aspects to keep the game fresh is...  (1) New game modes   (2) New inventory.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:56:59 am by Mallets »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:03 am »
Personally, I wouldn't be against seeing the Samurai and Eastern armors out of the game.  But that's not going to happen.  So why not bring in the Roman/Greek armors & weapons?

So basically, because you can't get rid of the shit on your left shoe, you want to cover your right shoe in shit as well, just to re-establish symmetry?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:51:29 am by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:26 pm »
So basically, because you can't get rid of the shit on your left shoe, you want to cover your right shoe in shit as well, just to re-establish symmetry?

Or you could say it as... if one group wants to eat shit, the other group should have to eat shit as well.

Or you could say it as... if one group gets to eat pie, the other group should get to eat pie.

We could use endless metaphors and riddles to make it our arguments should justified.  But the plain truth is... that by no means is cRPG weapon & armor selection represent a certain historical era.  And it's no just the Samurai stuff out of place.  It's early Medieval, mid-Medieval, late Medieval (Europe) mixed with Eastern and Arabian armors (each from different time periods).  Renaissance armors (a lot of the full plates).  And many more.

With such variation... how could we say that Roman/Greek armor is out of place.  Out of place from what?  An armory that already stretches a vast time period and many cultures.  Then why not include Roman/Greek.

Though I'd surely have fun looking like a true Greek Hoplite... at the end of the day, I'm personally cool with no Roman/Greek weapons & armors.  But just saying, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander!"

Wait... not sure that one works!   :P