Author Topic: Pikes & longspear need to be adjusted...  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Re: Pikes & longspear need to be adjusted...
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »
+1
You know those ninjas from 80s B movies, where one and the only skilled ninja beats up whole group of ninjas using teamplay :wink:

This is the rule of the ninja. A lone ninja is a formidable opponent, a group of ninjas are useless. http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/17p70/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »
You need to do some research on newtons, area, and impact damage. You clearly have no idea what you talking about. I like physics and currently in college for it

Theory meet Life

http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/audiemurphy.html

My Dad was shot 7 times with a .357 Magnum and lived for another 35 years as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:02:50 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »
You need to do some research on newtons, area, and impact damage. You clearly have no idea what you talking about. I like physics and currently in college for it(far from being done, however I do know enough). A longbow would fuck your world up with a 100lb draw weight(Max estimated 200lb on longbow). Bullets pierece the body, but cause relatively little impact damage due to size until you start getting into larger rounds(ie 50 cal sniper that can cut a man in half). If you are shot 30 times and still living/moving, it isnt a big round. Arrows/crossbows and bullets are no where near close to the same type of damage.

.22 caliber rounds can be extremely deadly even though they're tiny.  Having a piece of lead bouncing around off your bones inside your body is very dangerous to organs and arteries.  And the impact may be small, but the exit wound could be the size of a softball (or basketball depending on the round and location).

It's all down to luck really whether you survive a gun shot wound or die. 

If I had to take a guess I'd wager that arrows and bolts would be a much slower death than gunshot wounds, and would also do less internal damage (if the bullet and arrow or bolt hit the same location).  Arrows and bolts were so deadly because of their barbed tips, not to mention lack of antibiotics, if a piece of cloth got lodged into your body from the arrow, it was a death sentence.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:40:43 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »
Yes bullets piece flesh like I said, causing little impact damage until you get into larger rounds like what an AK shoots. An M4 shoots tiny rounds, closer to a .22, and soldiers in our military complain they lack stopping power. They can bounce depending on size, speed on impact, and if it hits bone. Bullets are certainly deadly but the damage types are 100% different. A wider, heavier, longer projectile is going to cause more impact unles the speed is insanely different, but the projectile still has to be large enough to cause impact damage or it will mainly pierce flesh. Also an arrow is more likely to go straight through because once in flesh it cannot be displaced as easily by bone as a bullet would, add that with a barbed arrow designed to pull things with it, you are going down. By down I mean no longer combat effective, not necessarily dead.

Anyways this has gone way off topic, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:16:52 pm by Crazyi »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »
I should mention that this is the game balance forum, not the realism forum.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2012, 08:15:01 am »
+1
That would be luck then, those arrow headshots are hardly "on demand" otherwise half of the enemy team would be dead 40 seconds out of spawn from range.

As for the firearm "pistol" comment: A Glock has an effective range of about 50 meters, and heavens knows you can "lob" luck shots farther then that, just like you can "drop" shots with an AK-47 at a kilometer and a half or more if you know what you are doing, despite it being farther then the "effective range." Either that, or the base security squadron is hacking real life. Now compare with modern longbows that have an effective range of 180 meters, and even "era appropriate" longbows had more then half that effective range (Actually era appropriate bows have ranges near-dead on with the 180 meter/200 yard figure I gave.)

TL:DR Version: Modern pistol bullets go really damn far if you don't care about accuracy, c-RPG arrow headshots from half way or across the map are largely luck, and most bows, ancient or modern, have effective ranges far above that of pistols.

This is where the conversation deviated from the thread. *points finger*

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:18 am »
+2
Joker.. I'm suffering from same illness as you with writing too long posts. Anyhow.. Try to write shorter.. No one can be assed to read anything in that wall of text.

I typically scroll past his posts lol, they are always essays. This guy could handle an essay ban every few minutes I could imagine.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:54 pm »
Down with pikes! Up with hope!