Author Topic: Does shield skill increase "arc of protection"?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: Does shield skill increase "arc of protection"?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
Does the shield skill increase shield's speed? I mean, it should, shouldn't it?

Wiki says it does, but how much?

Offline Scrambles720

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Scrambles_Astralis
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »
Ive only really ever noticed a huge forcefield for a shield on horseback. Ive blocked attacks that i would never block on foot on horseback. does being on horseback affect the shield forcefield or am i completely insane?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:54 pm »
Since shield speed and protection arc are virtually impossible to measure empirically, we're probably at the mercy of the devs to release the actual formulas.

Of all the skills, Shield skill is definitely the least understood. The 8% durability per point is known, but everything else is a mystery.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »
best shield ever is brown lion heater. loom it and be like balbaroth (unkillable)
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 07:29:12 pm »
although im not a shielder myself , and have only played shielder ~6 gens as heavy cav, i have learned from other shielders, that shield skill 6 is needed to ''effectivley'' protect people behind you from archery, and yes it increases your ''forcefield'' witch directley should aslo affect  your block arch in melee combat, the hitting arround shields i do as my 2 hander needs timing and good movement, its basicly a back hit .  what could be  confusing you is the turn/lol stabbing, this is also how u sometimes get hit by a pike or 2 hander , but it seems like the person in question is hitting through somone else, same consept applys to shield, so watch well from witch side the initial stab is being turned and face that way slightly. hope this advise helps
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:32:01 pm by rufio »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »
I'm well aware of the wonkyness with thrusts; I use a +3 Long Espada, and most of my attacks are thrusts. Whenever I thrust I feel like I'm just as likely to warp through the space-time continuum and one-shot some archer on the other side of the map as I am to TK a teammate behind me; they are just plain unpredictable.  I am astounded by the ridiculous reach as often as I rage at failing to connect with an enemy directly in the path of my blade.

Thrust mechanics aside, I'd like to know the equations behind shield speed and melee protection arc.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:17 pm »
Concerning forcefields, Im not sure if this is directly related to shield skill, but even a buckler can become completely imune to arrow fire from the front. I say this, because as an archer I've tested it many times while trying to shoot players such as leoking in the head and knees, with no success. Recently, he(leoking) was even kind enought to stop a few metters away from me and aim his shield to the ground, so I could try shooting him in the head, but the arrow still found its way to the shield's orbit(why I ended up raging against bucklers some time ago). The devs should find a way to deal with this - make the whole thing more realistic.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:16:33 pm by Adamar »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:08 pm »
I don't like that at all and I'm 2H. It makes my build nearly useless.

Bah feint better, you don't need to go behind your opponent when you can get your hits in without the headache.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1804
  • Infamy: 807
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »
That's not the point. If I get behind the opponent and strike he shouldn't be able to block that strike. Simple as that.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:20 pm »
+1
Concerning forcefields, Im not sure if this is directly related to shield skill, but even a buckler can become completely imune to arrow fire from the front. I say this, because as an archer I've tested it many times while trying to shoot players such as leoking in the head and knees, with no success. Recently, he(leoking) was even kind enought to stop a few metters away from me and aim his shield to the ground, so I could try shooting him in the head, but the arrow still found its way to the shield's orbit(why I ended up raging against bucklers some time ago). The devs should find a way to deal with this - make the whole thing more realistic.

2 things:

1st. LeoKing uses quite a high agi build and has quite a high shield skill. Fair enough to get some profits, be it more durability for shield or forcefield, isn't it?

2nd. This mod is about fun, not realism. And the increasing forcefield is not game breaking - it is a reward for getting shield skill points. Should be rewarded, not punished.

Oh, there's actually a third one.

3rd. If you nerf shield skill, it will lead to more whine about archers' powah, thus causing a nerf and/or more insulting on the forum and ingame...

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
I wouldn't ask for a nerf, but for a different shield 'engine'. The forcefield doesn't make much sence, that's all.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »
I wouldn't ask for a nerf, but for a different shield 'engine'. The forcefield doesn't make much sence, that's all.

You know the forcefield was drastically reduced in size many, many patches ago. It is possible for archers to get headshots over shields or shoot people in the feet. It's happened to me many, many times even with 6 shield skill. Also, if bucklers didn't stop arrows they would be even more useless than they currently are. If it moved to an engine where the player had to adjust his shield in order to stop arrows, you would honestly be better off not using a shield and just trying to dodge. Forcefield might not be perfect, but I think it's the best solution.

Shields right now are in a pretty good spot. You get perfect blocking and immunity to range from the front arc.

As for downsides, they slow you down, are breakable and on average are slower than manual blocking. Seems pretty balanced.

Still, if you want to be a crazy 1-handed killing machine, I suggest not using a shield at all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:10:57 pm by rustyspoon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
Im not saying that shields shouldn't stop arrows, but the small ones shouldn't be much good at it, just like in native or real life. I dont remember the last time I shot a shielder under the shield in this mod. Thats just another problem with the custom builds in crpg.
If the devs managed to add forcefield restrictions to match the type of shield used, then we'd have something better. It would be harder for shielders, but it wouldn't be the first time that something got nerfed for both accuracy and ballance here. Maybe then speed would be optimized to compensate...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »
That's not the point. If I get behind the opponent and strike he shouldn't be able to block that strike. Simple as that.

True.

But I personally think this is overused. Probably because I most often use shields, which seem to block a narrower range of melee attacks than the correct side block with a 2h, due to block animations and shield coverages.