Author Topic: The Riding Skill Passive Bonus  (Read 3884 times)

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
Re: The Riding Skill Passive Bonus
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:44 am »
You only have enough time to dismount if at the end of the round you are standing still, if you are riding, you won't have enough time to stop and then dismount.

Balton,

Firstly, you always have plenty of time to stop and get off a horse.  Just hit cntrl+J to rear your horse, and you are off 2 secs later.  As long as you are relatively conscious of it, you should be able to manage.

I do not know of a way to accurately test how the horse stats are changed by getting levels of riding above the req.  However, I can tell you that I was a speed demon on a courser when I had a few extra levels of riding.  Every level extra was quite noticeable.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »
This was a simple enough test; all that was required was changing the horse requirement in the item_kinds1.txt file in Native and loading up a saved game.

I tested with Riding 10 on a 0 requirement horse, and then with Riding 10 on a 10 requirement horse. The times were exactly the same, even on multiple tries. A good anchor point is where you first enter a town atop your horse and simply run forward until you stop.

If you want to test for yourself, the number in the string for Riding requirement is before the HP value of the horse.
itm_warhorse War_Horse War_Horse 1  warhorse_chain 0  65537 0 1224 110595670016 0.000000 50 0 40 0 4 165 41 40 110 0 28 0
Don't forget to make backups of the file so if you break something it can be easily fixed.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:07 pm »
Conflicting answers, I was afraid I would get them. But there does seem to be one consensus, the more points you have in riding, the more speed/maneuver you have. So I guess overall it is a pretty good investment, regardless of the other factors.

Thanks for sharing your opinions/experiences/trials/tips, everyone.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »
Yes, to my knowledge you get bonus for every point in riding regardless of the horses requirement.

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 02:44:43 am »
Huzzah I revive this thread with my necro magik!

You believe wrong. It would be easier to get along if people like you stopped spreading rumours/ totally wrong "facts" to confuse other people, for fun, intended, or just careless.

With shield, you might be right, since there is no shield requirement in native, but with riding you are wrong.

Chill, where have I stated it was a fact?  :wink:

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:26 pm »
Damn, I have 10 riding skill atm, and it is great fun to ride a NOT heirloomed courser (yet!) with LIGHTING speed. I can get to back of enemy's team with my horse crossbowman in... lets say... 15 secs? On open fields, of course. On small maps, often it doesnt make any sense to do that (sad-face ;( )