Poll

Are you experiencing a lack of collision detection when using or up against shields?

Yes and something should be done about it.
Yes and I think it should stay as is.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Shield Wall  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Shield Wall
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 08:41:24 pm »
+1
Back on topic:

It really is annoying when you and a shieldmate stand shoulder to shoulder with shields up and people can still run between you. The physical block radius of EVERYONE should be increased, not just for shielders. Keep it like it is for allies, though, so you still can stand close together, but increase it for enemies so that they can't ghost rush through you.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 08:59:48 pm »
movement speed,  shields are heavy

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 09:10:47 pm »
Everytime when I see mauler I sheath my shield (in 1vs 1 situations), if he has support then it's not that easy,  but still if you're fast enough you can controll the fight with your footwork (most important is to use your weapon range). If you won't be carefull enough you're doomed. From my own experience the only "issue" that comes to my mind is a fact that you need to strike mauler even 4-5 times since most of them has STR oriented builds and/or heavy armor, while you cann't make a single mistake.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:14:31 pm by Dalhi »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »
+2
My fight-selection rules as a shielder:

Maul - run away
Axe - kill them fast or run away
Kill everything else

As for the original topic I think that, since the shield hitboxes were shrunk, and thus shields were nerfed a bit vs ranged opponents, they ought to have a little more power in close combat.  I like the OP's suggestion that this power needn't be for direct killing, or anything blasé like that, but in functionally supporting.  A greater capacity for actually stopping enemies from getting by one's shield would help tactically and provide a cool new facet to shielder gameplay.

/2cents

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »
movement speed,  shields are heavy

You still are a lot faster then a mauler. As said before, maulers are str oriented builds in heavy armors (most of times) with one of the slowest weapon (and shortest beside longmaul) and it's unbalanced!

The crushtrough factor is balanced by the fact that the maul user really is really slow (both for swinging and footwork) and he can't feint either!

You got there an easy spammable target.  :mrgreen: Most onehand weapons are longuer so keep him at distance, dance around him, feint and spam! By the way, it's easier to do with ur shield on ur back cuz u walk faster and u swing faster. This is a tip coming from an ex-lol-greatmauler so I know exactly what I'm talking about.  :wink:

If you cry about how they are OP in tight corridors in siege, well, that's the only place they are "OP". Go play battle, I'm sure you won't find any mauler on battle, he'll get raped by cav and archery before he can reach a shield wall.

Back on topic, I have not played much siege lately so I can't know for sure what is happening with shields when you try to block a doorway.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »
Yeah i know that im fucked when it comes to maulers, i still dont like it. Its my cryptonite i guess.....

I play strenght heavy
I play only siege
I use a heavy shield (10 weight)
I wear medium armor
I meet maulers solo 1/5 at best, rest of the times they got friends
So its spam like a madman and hope their friends are blind deaf and crippled.

As for the OP's post i havent noticed anything with shield hitboxes, might be because i dont play in that way, or its a subtle change

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:56 am »
Yeah i know that im fucked when it comes to maulers, i still dont like it. Its my cryptonite i guess.....

I play strenght heavy
I play only siege
I use a heavy shield (10 weight)
I wear medium armor
I meet maulers solo 1/5 at best, rest of the times they got friends
So its spam like a madman and hope their friends are blind deaf and crippled.

As for the OP's post i havent noticed anything with shield hitboxes, might be because i dont play in that way, or its a subtle change

heh any STR melee build is an easy prey for a mauler. besides the speed, unbalanced factor, weapon length factor, the footwork comes first. that's why 21/21 maulers with no more than 15 total armor weight are so nasty. i'm playing with 27/12 4 ATH at the moment.. and i can't do the damn slaughter i did with the 21/21 lolmauler build.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 04:19:44 am »
+2
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT COLLISION DETECTION, STAY ON THE TOPIC

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 01:58:54 am »
ya but why after the patch am i swinging totally thru peoples heads with an overhead or getting hit by 2h or polearms a mile away? still lag? or terrible hit boxes? maybe they go hand and hand

Precisely. Your ad hoc examples add to that likelyhood of a lag culprit.

P.S. - Shields still scoop up my arrows no problem. If there was a problem, I would be shooting off shielder feet left and right, and it is getting caught by the shield. I don't think it is the hitbox for the shields.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:00:04 am by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 07:47:39 am »
heh any STR melee build is an easy prey for a mauler. besides the speed, unbalanced factor, weapon length factor, the footwork comes first. that's why 21/21 maulers with no more than 15 total armor weight are so nasty. i'm playing with 27/12 4 ATH at the moment.. and i can't do the damn slaughter i did with the 21/21 lolmauler build.

well maulers are eazy to beat imo unless they have a chamber or you glance off theyr armor while outspamming them.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:00 am »
i have nothing against him but yes surely needs to put some effort in it.

Varyag was wtf pwning peeps as 1H/shielder long before either of you noobs showed up. Haven't seen him play with that build in quite some time though. In any case, I don't agree with him that 1H/shield is as uncompetitive as he makes it out.

Offline theero

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Served without sense of humor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Theero
  • IRC nick: Fallen_Theero
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 08:41:53 am »
Hmm, this new hitbox-bug would explain why I could have sworn that I got a bolt right through my Heavy Round Shield few days ago... I first feared that all the archers and xBows have finally learned to aim for feet or sumthing, but luckily only seems like my imagination :P .
FALLEN WILL WIN EVEN IF YOU HAVE FLYING CARPETS AND FIRESTAVES!

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:37 am »
I got shot trough my Heavy Board Shield (the one requiring 4 shield skill)! I had 5 shield skill and my shield was the higher it could be! And Druzhina Batir (or something) still just fkin shot me trough it in the face. WTF! The hitboxes are so screwed!

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 01:49:47 am »
Varyag was wtf pwning peeps as 1H/shielder long before either of you noobs showed up. Haven't seen him play with that build in quite some time though. In any case, I don't agree with him that 1H/shield is as uncompetitive as he makes it out.

so if varyag was pwning long before august 2010... when did the first beta of cRPG came out?  :?