Author Topic: Flamberge issue (with pictures!)  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Flamberge issue (with pictures!)
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:22:44 am »
+2
After the recent hitbox change, which is so far the best improvement in game mechanics ever, I noticed a really big problem with my really big sword. I can't use it properly unless I'm completely alone and nothings around.

Whenever an ally is near you there's a very high chance that the blade will get stuck in him and glance off doing nothing, neither to him or the enemy. From what I can tell this is due to weird swing animation, where the swinger generally puts whole giant sword all the way behind his back to swing it.

Now, here is how it looks like. Red zones = will hit teammate (whiff).

Left swing (polearm grip, shorter range; notice the point of the blade is 180 degree behind the fighter):
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Right swing (same as above, swing begins ever further than 180 degree behind):

Overhead:

So, summing it up:

Given the fact that flamberge is just a support weapon and is next to useless in 1v1 I think there's something wrong if you cant actually use it when teammates are around you. Notice that this is not a complaint about actually hitting them in the final phase of the swing but the fact that you cant swing at all if theres someone behind you.

I dont think that flamberge user should be forced to look behind him every time he swings at enemy in front of him. Can these animations be altered so that the swing doesnt always begin completely behind the swinger? When using danish or other twohanders I havent noticed any of these weird problems.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:50:24 am by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Flamberge issue (with pictures!)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:55 am »
I dont think that flamberge user should be forced to look behind him every time he swings at enemy in front of him. Can these animations be altered so that the swing doesnt always begin completely behind the swinger? When using danish or other twohanders I havent noticed any of these weird problems.

Better yet, GS swings usually go through teammates doing nothing :o unlike the flamberge.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
Wait. Since the Flamberge uses polearm animations. That means that all polearms have had this from the beginning. Yet, whenever I tell how 2handers doesn't teamhit as easy as polearms, I'm called a liar and whiner by all the 2h ragers (even though I'm a 1h xD).

But, yes. Some sort of "not hitting behind you" animations would be nice. For ALL animations, not just the polearm animations (dunno if there's any other animations like this).
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:21 pm »
Wait. Since the Flamberge uses polearm animations.

Well, the "main attack" - the only one that uses the full lenght of the weapon instead of hindering it with polearm grip - right swing, uses two-handed animation alright. And glances off everything behind you because of how that swing is made.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:22:26 pm »
Flamberge is not useless in 1 vs 1. Maybe it is just me but I suck against flamberges. I'd pick a fight with a greatsword user over a tincan flamberger any day. I don't think the teamhitting behind you zone is as big as you portrayed it. I see captain georges doing fine and he is always surrounded by a zerg horde.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
I dunno if its harder to use flamberge now (if recent changes made any diff at all to it) but I definately noticed a lot more "whiffs" , no dmg hits and not hitting at all because of players behind me.

Maybe we should learn to use the weapon better but it would be nice if it went back to the old ways.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:48:33 am »
Flamberge is not useless in 1 vs 1.

You need to be either unaware of the range of semi-afk not to block it. Only long maul and long voulge are slower, and theyre both "special purpose weapons". And I said "next to useless", flammy is just for the style points honestly when not in battle chaos situation. ;)

I don't think the teamhitting behind you zone is as big as you portrayed it. I see captain georges doing fine and he is always surrounded by a zerg horde.

It's not about actually hitting the guy but it's the whiffs and glances. And most of flamberge users are still doing fine I guess but it's really annoying.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:51:30 am by Tot. »

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:30:26 am »
all poles get stuck alot more behind you after the overhead through allies fix

Offline MaHuD

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: MaHuD, Darth_InVader, Hired_Blade, Hinzerhaus
  • IRC nick: MaHuD
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »
In native we have this nice little unwritten rule; when fighting in a group, don't swing, use overhead or stabs to minimize friendly damage.

To me, it kinda makes sense that the bigger your weapon, the larger the chance of hitting a teammate is.... Especially if you insist on swinging with it.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:01:41 pm »
Did you even read the OP? It doesnt actually hit the teammate but the swing whiffs when theres someone on top of your butt and around.

Offline Volos

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Clan MacLeod(just kidding no clan...yet)
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:50:40 pm »
I don't know about you but I don't think soldiers in the medieval era were standing next to someone SWINGING a flamberge or any other BIG-ASS razor sharp weapon, lol. In battles there was a good deal of space between combatants and they only "tightened" up in formation for specific reasons.

I think the swing/damage area looks about right. That's why if I'm in a tight mob of teammates with whatever weapon I use I swing overhead so I don't hit anyone one on my side. It's what they did back then. The flamberge was used mostly as a polearm thrusting type weapon along side the pike in a phalanx type of formation.

Not Spartan or Greek phalanx but the Swiss mercenary companies. They would advance pikes-out like a Greek phalanx but were more versatile cause they also used shorter swords like the Espanola Sword(I think that's how it spelled)close up and in-between all those pikes and they used the flamberge also which could quickly go from a thrusting type weapon to an overhead chopping weapon. Kind of like the pole-axe but better since the flamberge had a handguard, a larger blade area and better gripping and could go into flesh and out again smoothly cause of its grooved blade.

Turn next to chapter three class. We'll be discussing tactics. lol

This is the best and the only, realistic medieval combat game I've seen yet. That's why I play it. It requires team effort and some medieval combat knowledge.

Want easy kills and explosions and bust a nut, go play Black Ops.
Game Characters: Volos, Volossa, Ashalem, Vorexuonek, Brun

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »
In native we have this nice little unwritten rule; when fighting in a group, don't swing, use overhead or stabs to minimize friendly damage.

To me, it kinda makes sense that the bigger your weapon, the larger the chance of hitting a teammate is.... Especially if you insist on swinging with it.

haha u've obviously never stood behind a flamberger as he does an overhead then?

u can do ok with flamberge in 1v1 against many opponents

it's definately not a duelling weapon tho

if flamberge remains as it is, i would suggest taking a secondary weapon and switching to it in tight situations (strong possibility of dying while trying this though)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:09:09 pm by RandomDude »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »
I don't know about you but I don't think soldiers in the medieval era were standing next to someone SWINGING a flamberge or any other BIG-ASS razor sharp weapon, lol. In battles there was a good deal of space between combatants and they only "tightened" up in formation for specific reasons.

I think the swing/damage area looks about right. That's why if I'm in a tight mob of teammates with whatever weapon I use I swing overhead so I don't hit anyone one on my side. It's what they did back then. The flamberge was used mostly as a polearm thrusting type weapon along side the pike in a phalanx type of formation.

Not Spartan or Greek phalanx but the Swiss mercenary companies. They would advance pikes-out like a Greek phalanx but were more versatile cause they also used shorter swords like the Espanola Sword(I think that's how it spelled)close up and in-between all those pikes and they used the flamberge also which could quickly go from a thrusting type weapon to an overhead chopping weapon. Kind of like the pole-axe but better since the flamberge had a handguard, a larger blade area and better gripping and could go into flesh and out again smoothly cause of its grooved blade.

Turn next to chapter three class. We'll be discussing tactics. lol

This is the best and the only, realistic medieval combat game I've seen yet. That's why I play it. It requires team effort and some medieval combat knowledge.

Want easy kills and explosions and bust a nut, go play Black Ops.

In the medieval era they didn't swing their weapons around like they were trying to fight off a horde of angry bees. We have no choice about our animations.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:14:38 pm »
Given the fact that flamberge is just a support weapon and is next to useless in 1v1

No!