Author Topic: Polearms - which ones can't side swing?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Polearms - which ones can't side swing?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:22:47 pm »
The Long Bardiche is not unbalanced. It's a way cheaper poleaxe that trades thrust damage for 13% more swing damage. So it comes down to playstyle; if you like stabbing, go poleaxe. If you prefer overheads to thrusts (higher chance to one-hit, less chance to teamhit), then go Long Bardiche.

I use a Mighty Great Long Bardiche, and I currently have it on the market to trade for a Mighty Long Bardiche, so that should tell you something about how awesome the Long Bardiche is. The unbalanced stat of the GLB means I pretty much lose any duel where my first swing is blocked (since unbalanced means you can't counter-attack after blocking before your opponent's next hit lands). I didn't figure this out until I'd already loomed the GLB twice (everyone always said unbalanced only affects feinting, which isn't true).

what are you talking about? I rape people not named Cyranule all the time with the GLB. Unheirloomed of course :).

I think you're not taking advantage of weapon stun

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
Can the Spear, War Spear, and Red Tassel Spear be swung sideways? I've never used any spears except the Shortened (which can be sideswung) and the Long Spear (which can't).

If it can be sideswung, I was thinking a 6/33 Spear build could be a fun "Skip the Fun" char just to annoy people with stun spam. Won't kill anyone, but would be a riot. Find some solo tincan and stunlock him for a full minute.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:52:11 pm by Phew »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:08 am »
Can the Spear, War Spear, and Red Tassel Spear be swung sideways? I've never used any spears except the Shortened (which can be sideswung) and the Long Spear (which can't).

If it can be sideswung, I was thinking a 6/33 Spear build could be a fun "Skip the Fun" char just to annoy people with stun spam. Won't kill anyone, but would be a riot. Find some solo tincan and stunlock him for a full minute.

All those you mentioned can sideswing (not the long spear though).

But anyway you will stun a lot more with thrusts and overheads than sideswings.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »
Based on Paul's comments in the thread on polestun, the Spear is the ideal stunlock weapon, as it's the fastest non-knockdown pole with a raw swing damage >15.

Also, he indicated that all non-knockdown poles with raw dmg >15 have the same 50% chance for 0.8s-1s stun. Maybe high dmg thrusts and overheads push that number closer to 1s, or maybe it's random, but either way, I think my suggested 6/33 Spearlock build would be good for some laughs.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 06:10:19 pm »
The "random" part in the stagger duration comes different animations and animation duration for different hit locations. So getting hit in the chest staggers not as long as a hit in the back. The 50% chance for the longer stagger is TW's way of making staggerlocks unlikely.

So a single long stagger has a chance of 50%, 2 in a row got 25% chance, 3 got 12.5% and so on.

Offline wanteds

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: polelord
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
So would someone tell the noob that I am, which of the following spears can't be side swung?

Boar Spear
Shortened Spear
Spear
Red Tassel Spear
War Spear
Ashwood Pike
Light Lance

thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Horns_Archive

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »
So would someone tell the noob that I am, which of the following spears can't be side swung?

Boar Spear
Shortened Spear
Spear
Red Tassel Spear
War Spear
Ashwood Pike
Light Lance

thanks.

the ashwood pike and light lance cannot side swing and I don't know if this was answered earlier but the double sided lance can side swing.