Author Topic: Bec de Corbin issue  (Read 8609 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Bec de Corbin issue
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:42 am »
Tired of this topic coming up. The bec is FINE. Sure it does decent damage, but it is SHORT.

I would take my german poleaxe any day over the bec. The poleaxes just have WAY more utility than the bec does.

Just because a few good players like the bec doesn't make it OP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:32 am »
The Bec is a good weapon, but it lacks two significant bonuses that other polearms provide:
- Bonus vs. shield
- Length. It's a very short weapon for its speed

Example alternatives:
Long War Axe. 1 less speed, 3 more range. Does more swing damage against <40 armor targets, does less swing damage against >40 armor targets. Worse thrust. Bonus against shields.
Poleaxe. 4 less speed, 21 more range. Does less swing damage against anyone but peasants, but does more thrust damage. Bonus against shields.

Those are options of equivalent strength to the Bec, but with different uses. The Bec excels when fighting low athletic, well armored 2 handers. The Axe excels at fighting shielders. The Poleaxe excels in larger battles or when fighting horses.

When servers end up with lots of small skirmishes between slow two-hander tincans like rumour has it on NA servers, the Bec is going to be fantastic. On EU servers teams stick together more and form lines, which makes the long range Poleaxe (or its faster cousins) better.

Note I've only played on NA servers a couple of times, so I'm mostly going by forum hearsay on how they work. I was surprised by the complete chaos when I did play there though, with teams spreading out all over the place and forming no coherent lines or positions.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:14:45 am by Elerion »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 07:58:26 pm »
Topping the boards isn't indicative of anything, especially on siege.

The bec isn't particularly good against 1h+shield from my experience. I always feel a relief fighting them. It is amazing at close-range groupwork, partly due to its shorter range, and that situation brings the best K/D ratio when you succeed.

I think the problem is with polestun, because the new patch makes poorly timed attacks that would have glanced, hit with sometimes little damage but all the stun. I'm more afraid of the stun than the damage, and 1wpf awlpike makes my life so much easier because of this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:01:46 pm by san. »