Author Topic: I need a new chair... my back hurts.  (Read 2572 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: I need a new chair... my back hurts.
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 06:27:47 am »
+1
At work, my department rotates positions on the hour. One hour at the front desk (standing), one hour off-desk (walking around), one hour back desk (sitting). I'm never sore at the end of the day.

When I'm at home at my computer desk, I get up now and then to stretch or do some light exercise. You can have a $25 Walmart chair and be fine if you stay at least a little bit active. It's really easy when you're playing any kind of game like CRPG with "rounds." When you're dead just get up and stretch. Do some body weight exercises. Spend 10 bux on a dumbbell and do curls.

Online shooters and MMORPGs have lots of downtime while you are dead/travelling. It's super easy to fit some exercise in there while you wait. You don't need to do a full workout, just get active for 30 seconds before you plop your but down and pwn noobs for another 15 minutes.

If you're browsing internet or doing office work, you have no reason not to get up and move a little now and then.

It costs more willpower but costs less money! Buy an "acceptable" chair instead of a perfect one and just move you'are body!!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 06:50:13 am »
+1
At work, my department rotates positions on the hour. One hour at the front desk (standing), one hour off-desk (walking around), one hour back desk (sitting). I'm never sore at the end of the day.

When I'm at home at my computer desk, I get up now and then to stretch or do some light exercise. You can have a $25 Walmart chair and be fine if you stay at least a little bit active. It's really easy when you're playing any kind of game like CRPG with "rounds." When you're dead just get up and stretch. Do some body weight exercises. Spend 10 bux on a dumbbell and do curls.

Online shooters and MMORPGs have lots of downtime while you are dead/travelling. It's super easy to fit some exercise in there while you wait. You don't need to do a full workout, just get active for 30 seconds before you plop your but down and pwn noobs for another 15 minutes.

If you're browsing internet or doing office work, you have no reason not to get up and move a little now and then.

It costs more willpower but costs less money! Buy an "acceptable" chair instead of a perfect one and just move you'are body!!!!

Yes this is good advice, but I already do this to a limited extent...
I take breaks and exercise a few times per day when I sit a lot at the PC, it definitely does help keep your back from dying for long sits. There is a huge difference between having little exercise breaks in a long gaming session or not moving out of the chair for 4 hours...

Exercising and taking frequent breaks does help save my back... But it doesn't make an uncomfortable chair, comfortable. my 75$ costco chair is shit :/ worse than others I've purchased for less in the past...

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2015, 01:30:48 am »

How many hours per day do you actually stand use a kneeling chair while on a computer, on average?
Sure standing is best for your back, If you keep good posture, but do you really stand or kneeling chair while doing work/play on a PC for hours??? Be honest!

even back then I did not spend my entire 90h week glued to my desk - taking breaks, lie down on the floor and meditate on a wicked marketing idea, exercise, etc...
But my ass had a LOT of contact with that Balans copy I was using, and it was the best at that time for me.

Standing desk is shit for computer work or playing (keyboard/mouse) imo, but for (hand)writing, drawing, tablet use, reading, etc. it is hard to beat.

right now I sit on a wooden chair pretty much like the one posted earlier, and it does NOT hurt if you do something for your back and have a not-entirely-skinny butt :D
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2015, 02:01:52 am »
+1
my 75$ costco chair is shit :/ worse than others I've purchased for less in the past...

yeah i hate ~$100 ish "computer chairs" that are uncomfortable and fall apart in 6 months

i got an office chair from work that was like 10 years older than i am for free, it was being thrown out

so sturdy and comfortable compared to a faux leather walmart chair with arm rests
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2015, 09:11:40 am »
lumbar lordosis master race

Sounds like the name of Dracula's insurance broker.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2015, 02:26:24 pm »
+1
Ok well for all of you preaching standing desks or the ergonomic kneeling chairs: answer me this...

How many hours per day do you actually stand use a kneeling chair while on a computer, on average?
Sure standing is best for your back, If you keep good posture, but do you really stand or kneeling chair while doing work/play on a PC for hours??? Be honest!

Something tells me you guys are doing more of a "do as I say, not as I do" approach to this.
I argued for a motor-driven desk so you can raise it at will, you shouldn't get a standing desk only.

http://www.inventarland.dk/moebler-og-tilbehoer/kontormoebler/kontormoebelsaet/haeve-saenkebord-90x180cm/
http://www.inventarland.dk/moebler-og-tilbehoer/kontormoebler/skriveborde/haeve-saenkeborde/

Concerning the kneeling chair then I had a friend who used one most of his youth, and he was a pretty serious gamer. I've tried it multiple times and it was comfortable.

But I'd still argue for these types of customizable office chairs instead, you can sit in it like on a kneeling chair but also in many other positions, including leaning back and relaxing. They may not look like much but it's solid quality, if a bit pricey.

http://www.inventarland.dk/moebler-og-tilbehoer/kontorstole/mest-solgte-kontorstole/canadian-ergo/ (if you click one of the products there's a little presentation video)