Author Topic: Throwing needs to be fixed. Maintenance & movement needs work.  (Read 5610 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Throwing needs to be fixed. Maintenance & movement needs work.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 01:55:02 am »
I'm not certain how throwing weapons can be economically viable for strat. Maybe if the ammo could be multiplied by 2-3 for strat using the same method as when they altered archers for a short while.

(Bump for more throwing discussion :) )

Offline Mendro

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 02:39:10 pm »
This topic need a bump with the throwing weapons nerf.

I really don't understand why you nerfed them. Now pure throwing build (or at least for str build) are weak.
Reduced throwing weapons damage + pushed people to get some if = huge nerf
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:00:12 pm by Mendro »

Offline Mendro

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
Bump, throwing damages are joke now   :cry:

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 05:48:53 am »
The list of throwing changes:

-All throwing weapons -1 dmg and speed because of the level increase
-Much lighter weight for most lower tier throwing weapons
-Throwing hammer +5 blunt (then -1 because of the above)

Low tier throwing weapons don't slow you down as much, so PT is a decent dump stat for melee, especially with the wpf changes where armor would take away all of your throwing proficiency. They're unviable against most melee, but are good against ranged, agi players, and mid-range support at 5-10 meters.

We'll really have to see how the game handles 33/12, 15/30, and 24/24 pure build throwers. 30ish damage per throw is no joke. Heavy cav also received armor/hp nerfs so they're comparatively easier to take down, even without the level increase.

Offline Mendro

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:49 pm »
Thank for the answer san

Do you speak about changes with the last patch or the next patch?

Because :
-All throwing weapons -1 dmg and speed because of the level increase

Currently it's -2 dmg for jarids, heavy throwing axes, throwing lance and throwing spears

Low tier throwing weapons don't slow you down as much, so PT is a decent dump stat for melee, especially with the wpf changes where armor would take away all of your throwing proficiency. They're unviable against most melee, but are good against ranged, agi players

I agree, low tier throwing needed a little buff

We'll really have to see how the game handles 33/12, 15/30, and 24/24 pure build throwers

33/12 was no viable before the patch cause of slow speed, so I don't think it will change with this patch

I tried my old build 30/15 on my stf and I can tell you it's no more viable cause of 2 reasons :
- The current dmg nerf is heavy
- Global build are more agi way now . People moving too fast and it's harder to aiming now. Aiming was already difficult before the patch, but that was the price for high dmg build. I mean if I want to be more accurate I have to be really close of the enemies melee. But with 5 ath it's just a deadly way

It's nearly the same feeling with 27/18. I have a decent speed but my dmg and my accuracy still weak

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 05:48:36 am »
devs be all like "throwing has problems because people dont like throwing because throwing has problems"

it's not a natural phenomenon, it doesnt rain shitty throwing stats on crpg when el nino blows in, it's a problem caused by conscious decisions made by biased balancing and there were always other suggestions; a few work their way into the game like a year or two after being posted, once all the new nerfs are in ofc. devs saying they wont buff throwing because nobody likes throwing is just self-fulfilling

ironically the balance would have been better and it would have been less work for the devs if they'd just left throwing weapons stats as they were before and monitored how it plays out, given it time on real servers

like i've been saying for just as many years as i was insisting throwing hammers needed a damge buff which they have only just now after literally years gotten: there needs to be more to differentiate the capabilities or hybrid throwing (short-range backup for meleers) and pure throwing (lower range alternative to bows as a main weapon for skirmishers).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:59:31 am by dontgothere »

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 07:26:37 am »
MY eyes are bleeding oh my god, PLEASE learn how to post like you don't have autism. thanks.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:50 am »
I didn't realize a few throwing weapons received -2 damage, thanks for the heads up. The bad thing about letting things play out is that there usually is an immediate outcry for a while (ex. everything people complain about) so it was a safe approach at it.

I am going to try out some throwing builds for the next few days and see how it turns out. My first thought is +1 dmg -1 (or even -2 tbqh) throwing speed so throwers can't spam as easily with the higher wpf, but maintain the high damage from the level increase.

33-15 is quite great for a non-mobile build. I'm dealing 40-50 damage to most horses with flipping Throwing Spears,  and 25-30 damage to melee. But yeah, I have to rely on my teammates so I'm not swarmed. Great fun, though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:37:49 am by San »

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:15 am »
I think the last changes were really good, San.  As far as I'm concerned wardarts and the 0-slotters got a huge buff with the weight reductions despite the loss in damage(they're all about the always brutal headshots anyways).  Jarids/Spears losing some damage was necessary.  I don't think removing throwing speed would be a good change for balance and it would just contribute to an already underplayed class being less fun.  Less shots-per-second would be a good balancing mechanism, but increasing the wind-up for throws just makes it feel clunky and boring.

Offline Mendro

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »
33-15 is quite great for a non-mobile build

I'm playing it and damage still weak compare to my 30-15 build before the patch.
I understand why there is no more pure thrower now

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »
The damage is virtually the same. The odd level 33-35 thrower like yourself isn't the only thing to consider now, but rather a possible 5-7+ people speccing to it at any given time.

Offline Mendro

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:53 pm »
As old thrower I'm just telling you pure thrower is no more viable .But you're right, it's not just about damage. As you said, we will see how the community handle with it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:26:03 pm by Mendro »

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 03:14:20 am »
Throwing could very well be worse or surprise people with how all of the changes interact, just saying that the damage between those builds are the same.

Offline QuisUtDeus

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 08:22:57 am »
(click to show/hide)
Thanks Heskey :)

The OP really has a point here. The throwing / 1h / shield hybrid is indeed weak, efficiency wise. I played one to 33 before patch and saw others do it and .. you can do ok with it but thats not because of the awesomeness of the build to be honest.

What I noticed is that in general but especially for this build the heavy throwing weapons seem to be a really bad choice. Throwing Lances are shit for some reason, and even Jarids with the 5pt you need kind of over-extend your hybrid build.

If I had to play a 1h shield thrower again I would definitely priorize melee and then give him 3-4pt throwing with like 80wpf as side-arm and use war darts or javs +3.