• cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
Re: Pikes
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45:28 am »
Okay.
For everybody being pro pike:

Lets just hope there wont be that many skilled pike users in the future :-)

I can imagine a guy like polepoop, dado and a third working together, all with pikes.

They will be untouchable ;-)

Pike from all weapons around has the biggest, unused abuse/griefing potencial. Imagine a group of pikeman circling their enemies with 300 range xD Lets just hope there wont be too many that find out ;-)

If they find out, something will have to done.

About the dmg:
I mostly cant 2 hit ppl with 7 ps and a mw dgs.
Pikemann can ;-) Damage surely is nice on pike!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:07 am »
Pike from all weapons around has the biggest, unused abuse/griefing potencial. Imagine a group of pikeman circling their enemies with 300 range xD Lets just hope there wont be too many that find out ;-)

If they find out, something will have to done.

If people find out how to use teamwork, then other people will also have to find out how to use teamwork. Team of shielders shouldn't have much trouble dealing with a team of pikemen if they work together in the slightest.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:03 pm »
If people find out how to use teamwork, then other people will also have to find out how to use teamwork. Team of shielders shouldn't have much trouble dealing with a team of pikemen if they work together in the slightest.

I would like to point to the recent scrimmage practice between BRD and PGI
PGI could not for the life of us kill the shielders and they would fuck us up so bad. Were some really awesome matches and apparently 4 maps went 2 - 2. The last map I was on the phone, etc and we were slaughtered but that is beside the point. This emphasizes just how much teamwork is necessary for your nightmare scenario to even take place.
[and how easily it is countered by a few shielders or archers]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:44:28 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »
You show a complete lack of understanding as how a pike is used in warfare.

Long spears,  bills and halbards are all melee support weapons.

Why shouldnt people be able to fight with them? It doesnt unbalance the game at all.
Turtles

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
You show a complete lack of understanding as how a pike is used in warfare.

Long spears,  bills and halbards are all melee support weapons.

Why shouldnt people be able to fight with them? It doesnt unbalance the game at all.

Not saying this, just stating it has huge unused potencial, personally hope it will remain that way :-)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »
Not saying this, just stating it has huge unused potencial, personally hope it will remain that way :-)
I am a huge proponent of teamwork and rally everyone I am playing with to use it and we DO use it to great effectiveness.
I am starting to see pikeman and the squad system employed on the NA servers more and more often as people watch us get x5. Although, still rather rare.

I don't know why you don't want teamwork to happen. It makes the game so fun and interesting adding new facets to play. Yes, people are more effective fighting in a group. Have you heard of this thing called war? Have you ever heard of battles and phalanxes? Shield walls with spears being the primary weapon until the formation is broken; which they try their hardest to never allow it to break?
Yeah. Wars were not fought with people running around in single-combat flailing about sidestepping all over the place and teamwounding with two handed swords.
Yes it works now, and yes it will continue to work most of the time in this game simple because people generally don't play while thinking. I know I even play normally on auto-pilot.

But if you keep thinking that you can attack first with wild two-handed swings and then you run into my shield & spear wall and get killed without even a fight?  Yeah 5 people SHOULD beat one warrior almost EVERY time. No, teamwork is not exclusive to clans either. As soon as you witness it in action it is effortless to duplicate with random people. I would know, I do it half the time when I don't have someone to play with.

I ranted a bit, I am sorry.
I am trying to use that potential and help others realize it. That is all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:21:17 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »
A hint to everyone: when a pikeman stabs, they are stunned for a time, allowing you to hit them. You just have to get in close to them and remember that they might be able to hit you even at close range, but at least you're in range to hit them back.

If you are alone against a pikeman and another melee of just about any kind then you are doing something wrong. Get teammates, that's what the pikeman is doing, you should be doing it too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:19:52 pm by OzyTheSage »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17:49 pm »
Hehe i like it because it rewards team work and adds more realism im the battle plus they cover me for enemy cav.  :wink:

But i have to agree they need a downgrade in dmg some people just 1hit you or 2hit u from 230 range that gets old fast its hard enough as it is trying to fend of the rest of hes team mates.

But yes 1vs1 any pikemen is useless tbh.

A tiny little nerf in dmg wouldnt hurt.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:04 pm »
Lock rotation for all thrusts, buff spears and pikes thrust damage.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
my god none of you understood what I said, yes people can spinlol stab easy they do it all the time. Im not saying neft it if you go back to my 1st post you will see that I was suggesting to see if any thing could be done to stop a very long weapon from doing allot of damage at point blank range because the person using it turns and does it.
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 07:25:46 pm »
And someone already explained to you that this is not possible because of engine limitations.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?