Author Topic: Upkeep No Longer Works  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep No Longer Works
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:03 pm »
Better to balance the equipment rather than rely on deterrents like upkeep. If you don't want too many people using a particular item then give it adequate downsides to using it. Instead of making cav really expensive make it so there are more negative elements involved. The heaviest horses should be cheaper but not have so much HP/armour etc. Arbalasts should be more than point & click, and you should have more downsides to equiping one. We have the slot system to tweak with as well.

It goes the other way too..there are plenty of overpriced melee weapons and body armour that don't really justify such a price tag. Heavy armour isn't necessarily better than medium but its more expensive. A Flamberge isn't better than a Longsword, its just different. Having lots of Flamberges won't unbalance the game more than lots of Longswords
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 09:28:09 pm »
+1
Eh, upkeep is just fine as it is. Would hurt the mode even more if they changed the upkeep to be more rewarding for low-tier gear users than punishing high-tier gear users.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
+3
It's damn typical.
Peasants crying out because knights wear plate and ride on horseback.
That's their birthright and outcome of their hardwork. Instead of growing weed in your fucking farm, sign into army and some day your name might be entitled a knight aswell.
Since all you need to kill a plated knight on a plated charger is just a fucking pitchfork,i find this QQ invalid.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »
+1
cRPG is in general just full of crybabies, angsty teenagers and old, bitter trolls.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »
+1
cRPG is in general just full of crybabies, angsty teenagers and old, bitter trolls.

Which is wy we love it, right? RIGHT?! RRIIGHTTT?! *crowd goes crazy*

I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »
+1
Sensible people, too, fortunately.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »
come to EU

the top scorers are all full plate spamming with very high damage cut weapons (on horseback and on foot)

This should take care of "agi build" in plate:
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/increase-the-difficulty-requirement-on-medium-heavy-tier-armours/msg955585/#msg955585

Upkeep could be removed for another system to be put in its place and the game would continue to work seemlessly. There has been hundreds of alternatives proposed but to this day none has been pro-actively supported by the players or by the devs  :cry:

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
It's damn typical.
Peasants crying out because knights wear plate and ride on horseback.
That's their birthright and outcome of their hardwork. Instead of growing weed in your fucking farm, sign into army and some day your name might be entitled a knight aswell.
Since all you need to kill a plated knight on a plated charger is just a fucking pitchfork,i find this QQ invalid.
As a gen 16 gold millionaire myself I would agree - better still if there hadn't been an upkeep patch at all because my 2H hero would still be in play at some godlike level and able to choose between one shotting plated chargers with his sword or javelin. The upkeep system was created to make it hard to fight all the time in the heaviest gear and now it doesn't serve its purpose any more. Buff me and nerf everyone else, obviously, but my own weakness isn't the issue here.

People who are arguing heavy armour confers no advantage, does that mean we should abolish upkeep completely? After all, what's it for in the first place if it only stops players from nerfing themselves with heavy armour that makes you clumsy and useless?
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:22 pm »
+1
Didnt read all.  Just read: working brain. fun mod vs medieval fighting simulator.

Conclusio: Make melee battlegrounds so that fun players can join in a pro brain way into the hardcore medieval stuff so it does make some sense. Dont ask me how. Dont blame me for trolling, since I have not much brain left after years of c-rpg.

For C-rpg: I dont think it will improve much. Upkeep seems fine to me. Everyone who sells a loom can make some money to play without worries.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 04:40:36 pm »
I blame Strat!

The last 2 strat fights were 15 vs 40 because the ai accepted people who didn't show up in the end. Implement an AI roster check and strat is cool again :mrgreen:
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV