Author Topic: Help with class  (Read 808 times)

Offline stante

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Help with class
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »
I just retired and want to be a nordic shielder but I also like throwing heavy axes alot so I really can't decide wheter to be a pure shielder focused on STR mostly OR again str focused 1h+thrower shielder

Can you people please help me to decide and write pros and cons for both classes and if possible build suggestion would be great but I wanna go for str characters instead of agi  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
Re: Help with class
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
+1
Well some of the pros for being a thrower/shielder:

If a enemy decides to back pedal on you constantly, just back up and whip a throwing axe at them. They generally dislike that and suddenly want to fight in close. Watch your spacing though.

For running archers/crossbows you can toss some grief their way and maybe make them reconsider their life choices.

Enemy cav generally does not like throwers. Axes to the horses head with that speed bonus usually means a very dead horse.

Edit: Its all about being selective with the throwing weapons, use them as a accessory to your main shield/1h.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:11:41 pm by Relit »

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »
Should I use a shield?
-> In my opinion, it depends on your armor category and AGI/STR balance. If you use heavy armor and/or a high STR build, you are not that good at dodging and making use of your weapon's range. So better get a shield as a compensation. When you prefer high AGI and/or light armor, I recommend not to use a shield. Shields slow down your movement speed, and you get a trade-off instead of a synergy in terms of feinting and blocking fast. You might be able to block multiple hits at the same time having a shield, but a shield requires good timing, and if you click the right mouse button to late, the block is not ready in time. I think it's easier to just block into the right direction but get the block up instantly than focussing entirely on timing, which makes the game pretty boring if you are impatient.

Should I use throwing weapons?
I would not recommend high-end stuff such as throwing lances at all unless you are a decidated, i.e. non-hybrid thrower. If you want to play hybrid, go for 5 PT and throwing daggers or something like this. Make sure your PT does not exceed the difficulty level of the throwing weapon you want to use by more than 4. The advantages of throwing are best observable in DTV for me cuz you can headshot incoming bots and kill the rest more easily. In other modes I did not really try it patiently cuz people dodged a lot, and I feel better-off with a crossbow if I want to do ranged.

But that's only my opinion, and you will probably not find a perfectly applicable, single answer to your question. You can only ask for experiences and decide yourself, in the end. I have fun playing the game in light armor, and for me, this works out pretty well with 5 PT, 150 throwing wpf and a 1hand weapon without a shield (100 1h wpf). The shield, as mentioned before, feels uncompatible for my playstyle.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline stante

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »
Thanks guys I decided to go for str based shielder with mid armor ''mail hauberk'' I will probably go for 21/15 first then try to go for 24 str but how should I plan usage of skill points?

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:10 pm »
Send a message to Erzengel_HRE via cRPG website, I am sure he can help you, but not sure if he will read this section of the forum. So PM him via website :)
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »
Remember, whatever build you choose, the best way to win is to be good at the game.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline stante

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
Im decent in both classes, I have played with pure thrower too and found that very enjoyable to raise middle finger by trolling them but I remember I suffered alot as 1h+thrower shielder build because of wpf share.

I guess I will create alt for pure thrower again after a while :D thanks everyone

Offline Qoray

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:37:36 pm »
+1
Just go 2h, allways go 2h visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline stante

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:48 pm »
Just go 2h, allways go 2h visitors can't see pics , please register or login

haha thanks for suggestion mate but ofc I have a main 2 hander and still love it :D

2h ftw