Author Topic: Amount of range :)  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Amount of range :)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »
It's not about what archers need, it's about in-class ballance, and how making armor efficient for ranged would make the best archers weed out the rest.

You people just seem to have a -nerf ranged- mental block that doesn't let you see the bigger picture.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 01:54:46 pm »
personally i dont want range nerfed but its the easyest way i can see considering that (i think) devs dont wanna spend too much time and energy on tuning crpg anymore and tbh personally id prefer they spend their time and energy on MBG
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:59:13 pm by Sniger »

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 01:56:06 pm »
I doubt lack of ranged would make it easier for you to get a girlfriend, try quitting cRPG.

you know very well that its impossible to quit crpg

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:55 pm »
It's not about what archers need, it's about in-class ballance, and how making armor efficient for ranged would make the best archers weed out the rest.

You people just seem to have a -nerf ranged- mental block that doesn't let you see the bigger picture.

I mean I dont think archers need to be nerfed. I just think as an archer; running around in anything heavier then the Heraldic Mail is retarded. However thats just my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:58 pm »
+3
I mean I dont think archers need to be nerfed.

Archery was a powerful medieval weapon, and the only effective counter was the usage of shields. In cRPG, shields (either in the hands of dedicated shielders or a low-req shield used by a 2h/pole player) are currently a poor counter to archery, for a variety of reasons:
1. "Forcefield" effect on passive blocks is 100% gone, and very much diminished for active blocks (forward coverage is good, lateral coverage is very poor even with high shield skill)
2. Blocking with a shield slows you down, actually making you a MORE attractive target to an archer than a zig-zagging 2h hero
3. The high weight of the shield slows you down whether your are blocking or not, also making you an easier target
4. Crossbows penetrate all but the handful of high-armor shields
5. The 0/1 requirement shields are broken by 1-2 arrows and penetrated by most bolts, so 2h/pole players don't bother even if they have a free slot

My proposed solutions:
1. Re-enable "forcefield" effect on passive blocks, but make its efficacy a function of shield skill, also make lateral coverage on active blocks a function of shield skill
2. Make shield skill reduce effective shield weight, on the order of 1kg/skill pt
3. Make shield skill mitigate bolt penetration, which is currently only a function of shield armor
4. Allow people to equip shields even if they lack the skill requirement, but greatly diminish the shield performance (i.e. shield stats are "Battered" (-2) if you don't meet the requirement)

Archery is well-balanced atm; they have good accuracy and damage, but mediocre rate of fire and poor mobility. Their counter (shields) is just too ineffective right now.
-

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:18 pm »
+1
Im actually in support of what Phew says, on siege last night I got a headshot on Polarbear, when his shield was up; and thought that shouldnt happen. I will admit shielding is a very annoying class to play, if youre not being destroyed but two handers and axes, youre being shot through your shield by crossbowmen and archers. Its about damn time shielders got some buffs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:06 pm »
I will admit shielding is a very annoying class to play

Shield shoving people to their death on siege is about the only thing keeping me from respeccing. 1h is very powerful right now, but adding a shield is often more of a liability than an asset.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »
^I agree with Phew.

I also believe that a small buff to shields on your back would also be nice for those 2h/polearm players. Increased forcefield (based on shield skill) for the shield resistance addition to armor on the back as well as ~20-30% resistance added to armor against melee swings. Body armor is typically 1 point for 0.7 weight on the higher end, so an extra 5-7 body armor for 6-8 weight isn't so bad (and only on your back). Not too creative, but I think something can be added to make the shield weight more of a tradeoff than a penalty if you have it sheathed.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
+1
Increased forcefield (based on shield skill) for the shield resistance addition to armor on the back

I've been putting my shield on my back just to troll enemy archers that are behind me, since in theory I should have 111 armor to any projectiles that hit my shield when it's on my back. But it has never actually occurred; the arrows always hit my arm/head/leg/hip/etc for full damage. One day I'll make some lvl 35 loomed-out archer rage when he hits me for zero damage.