Author Topic: size matters  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
Re: size matters
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 06:07:55 pm »
yes, it is true that it's almost impossible to hit with a sword true a plated armor, but in reallity warriors wouldn't just learn to strike at the chest or belly but at the neck, shoulder and the points where different pieces of the armor woul.d be attached to eachother. but in-game that's really hard to do so they balanced it by also letting people be able to hit a knights chest and do damage to him.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:09:42 pm by Berethorn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »
I guess this should be under the realism forum, but hey, can't resist:

Just yesterday wached a nice national geographic documentary on Talhoffer's manual. (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/medieval-fight-book-5366/Overview#tab-Videos/09511_00)

What i gleaned from that: if someone is heavily armored, you hit him hard with the pommel or guard of your longsword. Use it as a blunt weapon. The impact of that could knock someone out or at least make him stumble, giving the unarmored guy a chance to poke the more vulnerable parts of his armor.

But as the engine doesn't really allow swords weapons to be used like that, we'll have to make due with the dev's team of balancing stuff properly. :)

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
Phantom reach only really effects curved weapons as the engine views all weapons as straight lines and so leads to situations where a weapon can appear to kill you before it even touches you, but had it been where you thought it was you would have dodged it. Ideally any weapon should do much less damage if you just clip someone with the very end of the tip, as someone else said the real damage should start from a little further down the length (2-5 length) to represent a solid hit for full damage.

Just 5 minutes ago I was fighting a greatswod user and was killed by his stab animation 'hanging' out there for a moment which I stepped into thinking the animation was over and immediately died, which is frankly ridiculous.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps