Author Topic: Noob trying not to give up hope =/  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Noob trying not to give up hope =/
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »
+5
I really love this mod, but it's starting to be infuriating.
People hit me when their weapons physically do not, or in strange parts of the animation that normally do not work for me. Most often this manifests itself as getting hit a fraction of a second before I actually do, or when I physically had a foot of space between us, they still hit me.

I can support fairly well, but as soon as someone directs their attention on me, I'm toast.

I've tried 2h (Kanabo, probably do best as this)

But I get outranged, chambered, outflanked or simply every attempt I make to break through a defense gets blocked, even with kicking and nudging and turning into strikes I can never follow up fast enough.

Archery (Nomad bow, sometimes using shield and dagger for versatility)
I'm fairly good at judging firing arcs, and get a few overconfident shielders in the feet, but other archers always seem more accurate, and I hardly seem to really have any presence on the field. And of course I'm almost constantly getting stabbed by agility whores with rondel daggers =/

Throwing weapons
Again, pretty good at judging arcs so I've done OK in this role, thinking about trying hoplite but I can never seem to get kills, only barely help out.

So I've tried easier paths. Agil/dagger/shield whoring, Cavalry, etc. But I never seem to do well when pressed into 1v1 melee.

I've ended up fairly high on the scoreboard and probably had some decent effect on a few battles as cav, bow or 2h. But always in a support role. It just feels like no matter what I do, I'm fighting the game mechanics as much as I am players that are more skilled, better equipped and more experienced than me.
Currently the game is ending up far more in frustration than fun. Every time I get targeted first because I'm not in full plate and thus an easy kill, and every time I find little I can do to defend myself.

If you could give any advice, what "class" is best to learn on?
My best so far seems to be 2h, archer and hoplite. But always too slow, too inaccurate, too little too late.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Noob trying not to give up hope =/
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:58 pm »
+3
This is a hard game to get used too.  Thankfully, I got into it a few years back when everyone was "New"

Honestly.  You may be better playing a shielder in some way.  The first thing that you need to get down is timing.  Once timing is done, you work on Blocking.  (Manually and shield)

After you think you feel comfortable with those two, then you work on Footwork.

I think shields are the best things for new players because it gives them time to recollect their thoughts if they make a mistake rather than panicking and dying from it.

Eventually, this will become second nature and you not need time to think.  The biggest thing about this game is that it takes time to master.  That is why not many new players have stayed with Crpg.  People want the instant gratification.  Crpg instead gives you an asswhoopin that you shouldn't take very seriously at first.

PS: When you get reasonably good at the game, your frustration will get worse.  Although, it will get more fun at the same time.

EDIT: I would also like to add that the more you play the game, the less messed up the mechanics will seem to you.  At first it feels like EVERYTHING is bullshit.  Although, after a while you will learn what is truly bullshit and be more careful while encountering them.  It is mostly a Trial and Error experience.  It may also have a lot to do with your ping.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:16:43 pm by Necrorave »

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:29:24 pm »
This is a hard game to get used too.  Thankfully, I got into it a few years back when everyone was "New"

Honestly.  You may be better playing a shielder in some way.  The first thing that you need to get down is timing.  Once timing is done, you work on Blocking.  (Manually and shield)

After you think you feel comfortable with those two, then you work on Footwork.

I think shields are the best things for new players because it gives them time to recollect their thoughts if they make a mistake rather than panicking and dying from it.

Eventually, this will become second nature and you not need time to think.  The biggest thing about this game is that it takes time to master.  That is why not many new players have stayed with Crpg.  People want the instant gratification.  Crpg instead gives you an asswhoopin that you shouldn't take very seriously at first.

PS: When you get reasonably good at the game, your frustration will get worse.  Although, it will get more fun at the same time.

EDIT: I would also like to add that the more you play the game, the less messed up the mechanics will seem to you.  At first it feels like EVERYTHING is bullshit.  Although, after a while you will learn what is truly bullshit and be more careful while encountering them.  It is mostly a Trial and Error experience.  It may also have a lot to do with your ping.

Thanks man, good advice and pretty much what I've been experiencing over time. As I've started to get more points on the board and AMAZINGLY somehow manage triumph over some, falling for the same noob mistakes of not keeping situational awareness or getting chambered, etc is all the more frustrating.
I'll perhaps try hoplite again. Spear and shield helps me support and observe with relatively good survivability.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:37:55 pm »
+1
Eh you can try Sword & Board but if you do... people will feint you and kick you like you wouldn't believe. Also a lot of new players with shields are really hesitant about throwing attacks of their own because they often fall for feints and such... if you get hesitant though you will get spammed into the ground. You can try learning with a shield and just trying to counter attack everytime you actually block a hit (pay attention to the sound of them hitting your shield as well as visual cues).

Another option is Going 24/15 with a bunch of ironflesh and lots of armour so that you can survive a few hits and prolly one shot some people.

there is always the duel server as well... you can either smash your head against the brick wall of a ruthless skilled player or with some luck find someone of your skill level to improve with or a veteran who will teach you some tricks.

Joining a clan always helps too. Having people you like playing the game with helps a lot, even if you don't use teamwork! of course teamwork can be fun too even if its just you and one other guy running around together! its also easier to get guys in your clan to spend some time training you in duel. and depending on the clan you may have access to a lot of loomed items in their armoury that you can play with.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »
+3
No matter what class you pick, there is going to be a vertical learning curve. You are playing against people with 3 years (and many hundreds of hours) of experience. The game was rough to learn when it first came out of beta, so I expect it's going to be especially brutal now.

Don't pick a class with the expectation that you will do well in your first 50-100 hours of gameplay.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
Also just to add to the advice, every build you pick will be weak to some situations and strong in others (theoretically speaking).  just keep that in mind when building your class and when on the battlefield.  try to find another player or group of players on your team and stick with them (your weaknesses could be their strengths and vice versa)

sometimes when I was a peasant with a pitch fork I'd either try to find a strength build to assist (by poking enemies when he's winding up, and since I'm slow and he's slow I'm not going to be trying to play catch up), or find a lone archer who looks like he could use some cavalry defense. 

Also riding a horse is expensive, but it will help you avoid some of the harder realities of living on the ground.  It helped me avoid the "learning curve" of the game, but at the same time, it took me a lot longer to become decent at ground fighting.

For infantry I'd recommend going something like 24/15 (at level 30) or 27/12.  I'd favor strength over speed as infantry any day.  My level 30 build is an "extreme" hybrid (as extreme as you want to get without totally gimping yourself in every situation).  I put points into shield, and Weapon Master, and put WPF into two proficiencies instead of one.  This is kind of pushing the usefulness.  It makes me weaker on the ground, and slower on my weapon swings than people who are "pure" classes.  So I'm not as "strong" as others in most situations, but I'm also not as weak as others in most situations.

Heres my level 30 build (which I've pretty much used for most of my generations, including my first...which I mainly spent on the ground due to having to buy equipment and the cost of upkeep).  After my first gen I sold my loompoint so upkeep hasn't really been a big issue for me since.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
    Agility: 18
    Hit points: 55

Converted: 2
    Ironflesh: 1
    Power Strike: 6
    Shield: 4
    Athletics: 6
    Riding: 6
    Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 120
    Polearm: 119

I'm able to ride around on a courser and when I'm dismounted I'm still pretty fast, still have a shield (which I mainly use for blocking projectiles or a couched lance on horse), and still hit decently hard (6 power strike is pretty weak versus heavily armored, high IF builds if you're trying to use a cut weapon). 

After playing the game as long as I have, my level 30 build would probably be similar to what I have above, except I would have only went with 15 agility and 5 riding on a destrier (so that I have more strength and power strike). 

If you haven't already, use this (or another) calculator to help you calculate your build at level 30:  http://sayginsoher.com/merccrpg/calculator/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:04:33 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:20:26 pm »
my last stf build, pretty enjoyed it even after the nerf on HXs

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 57
Converted: 2
Ironflesh: 2
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 0
Athletics: 6
Riding: 6
Horse Archery: 3
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 6
One Handed: 107
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 130
Throwing: 1

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:51:56 pm »
+5
Also, don't play battle. Siege, duel, and DTV offer nearly nonstop action, so you can hone your skills faster. For class, just pick whatever is the most fun, because they all have a steep learning curve for a new player. Although I would recommend sticking to a dedicated class until you get levels and heirlooms; you need levels and looms to be an effective hybrid.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »
+2
Whatever your build, learn how to work with teammates, even if they dont cooperate or are aware of it.  Occasionally you'll find someone that 'gets' it and you can easily double-team kill top players more easily and take on many average players at a time.

All the talent in the word wont help if you have bad tactics/positioning

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:36 pm »
Play what class you want to be, you will learn everything but give it some time, also play siege and DTV , best way to learn after that u go to battle

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 08:53:04 pm »
I'd go for 21-18 shielder, full WM, medium armor and very fast weapon, niuweidao or sth like that. When you will reach lvl 30 go on duel server and sit there untill you'll do "fine" against at least half of the players :P If you're not good with manual blocking (doesnt matter that you have a shield :P) go to single player tutorial and master your block. If you need looms send me PM  :wink:

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »
+2
I'd go for 21-18 shielder, full WM, medium armor and very fast weapon, niuweidao or sth like that. When you will reach lvl 30 go on duel server and sit there untill you'll do "fine" against at least half of the players :P If you're not good with manual blocking (doesnt matter that you have a shield :P) go to single player tutorial and master your block. If you need looms send me PM  :wink:

32 cut dmg and 7 power strike might as well be a wet noodle when fighting your typical strength 2h player with 60+ armor. For a player that has mastered hold+speed bonus and always hits the head, damage starts to get reasonable, but your typical novice will mostly glance. And 88 reach means you will spend most of your time being kicked then one-shot.

If the OP is set on 1h/shield, I would say Spathovaklion is the best bet. You will still get kicked a lot, but at least you can damage anyone, and get some cheap kills thanks to knockdown.

For overall ease, I still think a balanced build with a Glaive/LHB/etc is the easiest playstyle to pick up. You can usually backpedal your way to victory and only have to block thrusts. My first 6 gens were with long 4d polearms, and I was pretty effective from the start, and I didn't have to block often.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:38 pm »
+3
Give up!
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
x-bow for a win