Author Topic: Official Cooking/Food Thread  (Read 1845 times)

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
Re: Official Cooking/Food Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 03:08:49 am »
I shot a squirrel this morning and made it into a thick stew with chicken broth and dumplings. Is that manly enough?

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 06:57:16 am »
I shot a squirrel this morning and made it into a thick stew with chicken broth and dumplings. Is that manly enough?

If by "shot" you mean "killed with a throwing axe."

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 09:41:35 am »
+4

While camping out with friends last summer we were screwing around, doing a bit of drinking and ended up chucking rocks at squirrels in the trees. Our food was gone but the fire was still blazing and I think the idea was that we were going to eat one. Next thing you know this furry little bastard falls out.. dead. Obviously nobody actually wanted to cook one. We held a great funeral for the poor guy.

Point is, I didn't feel manly. I felt like a monster.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »

Squirrels are evil creatures.

I got one in my area that constantly kills bird nests, the bastard.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »
While camping out with friends last summer we were screwing around, doing a bit of drinking and ended up chucking rocks at squirrels in the trees. Our food was gone but the fire was still blazing and I think the idea was that we were going to eat one. Next thing you know this furry little bastard falls out.. dead. Obviously nobody actually wanted to cook one. We held a great funeral for the poor guy.

That's because you killed for pleasure. If you were hungry and had eaten him, manly.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 10:15:26 pm »
+2

I found some freekeh at the local grocery store and decided to give it a shot. It's pretty good.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:10 am »
+2
I like working with broths or soups because you can modify the recipe constantly and taste as you go to find the flavors you are looking for.

Ghetto Fab Miso Soup -
(disclaimer: this is not even close to how traditional miso soup is made. There is no Konbu used or Dashi stock.)

1. 2 cups of water, bring up to a simmer.
2. Crush/grind/smash 2 tbsp of garlic. (sometimes I go a little crazy and do 4+ tbsp of garlic if i'm suffering from a cold or flu. In which case the garlic really comes out, but if you love garlic like me, that's ok!) Usually your cheese grader has a nice part on in which you can use for this. you want it to be finer than minced.
3. Crush/grind/smash 1-2 tbsp of ginger. add both garlic and ginger into the simmering water and taste.  (I used to hate ginger, I hate ginger candies/snaps, and never liked the root til I started using it in soups.)
4. add a cube of either beef/chicken/vegetable bullion.  keep water simmering (but not at a full boil).
5. add about 1 - 2 tbsp miso paste into a strainer, dip the strainer into the water and mix (so that the large particles of the miso paste remain in the strainer, and the rest dissolves into the water.
(if you don't have miso paste, don't worry, just use another half cube of bullion in its place, it still tastes great.)
6. add a little soy sauce (1 -2 tbsp) and taste... at this point I try to find a nice balance of intense flavor without adding too much soy sauce and making it over-salty, but I do like it pretty salty so I probably go up to 3-4 tbsp of soy sauce.
7.  Now, if you want to go the extra mile, add stuff to the soup... like diced green onions, mushrooms, tofu, meats, finely sliced onion, snow peas, iceberg lettuce/cabbage, even a hard boiled egg. Fishcake works too if you happen to have it.
8. finally add a tbsp or less of oil. Preferably toasted sesame oil, but normal olive oil or even butter works fine also.

Serve the broth/soup with a seperate bowl of freshly cooked short grain white rice.

Using a spoon, grab a chunk of rice and dip it in the broth and consume.

The plain white rice acts pairs perfectly with the strong, intense and sometimes salty flavor of the ghetto fab miso broth.
A cold beer also is a great contrast to the temperature heat of the Soup/rice.

ITADAKIMASU!!!  :mrgreen:

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
+1
I like working with broths or soups because you can modify the recipe constantly and taste as you go to find the flavors you are looking for.

Soups and stews are the best thing when you don't have enough time to cook. It's a pity most involve over-cooking, though. I always prefer it when the greens are added near the end of the simmering stage. Wouldn't the mushroom and meats in that recipe be good to add after the garlic, so you begin to get the juices out?

4th of July often means barbecue. Sometimes even BLASPHEMOUS barbecue. Blasphemous in this case due to using tofu instead of pulled pork.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:38 pm »
Soups and stews are the best thing when you don't have enough time to cook. It's a pity most involve over-cooking, though. I always prefer it when the greens are added near the end of the simmering stage. Wouldn't the mushroom and meats in that recipe be good to add after the garlic, so you begin to get the juices out?

4th of July often means barbecue. Sometimes even BLASPHEMOUS barbecue. Blasphemous in this case due to using tofu instead of pulled pork.

It depends on the vegetables for me... I ussually add onions,green onions, scallots and the like before putting the miso paste in, so it does a bit of cooking and let the flavors seep out.. The meats I try to get as much "cook" time in without overcooking them, which sometimes doesn't take long at all if it's a pre cooked or relatively dry meat. Mushrooms could go in early also. But some vegetables likes diced lettuce, snow peas, bean sprouts, and stuff I like to put in at the very end... or even have a separate plate to add them while I'm eating, because I like the crisp crunch in my soup   :o

That kind of blasphemy is unforgivable. Grilles are for meat!!!  :twisted:

Though I do like tofu covered in bread crumbs/egg (to bind the bread crumbs to tofu) and sauteed in butter. then covered in soy sauce. :3 yum.  8-)

pretty much anything is good if you put soysauce on it. soy sauce on eggs = yum.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:12:16 pm by Sir_Hans »

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:59 am »
+3