Author Topic: the scoring system  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Cyranule

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: the scoring system
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:34 am »
You misunderstand me... Obviously a swing (or a stab) does more damage than a single arrow, but I'm talking about the damage inflicted on the enemy. Melee and Archers (if I'm correct) receive the same amount of score points from damage inflicted. Example: Melee does a swing which inflicts 20 damage, and archer shoots 3 arrows that inflicts 20 damage, both receive the same score, it would be logical/fair.

It's what cyranule suggests, but I think it's already in place, but still waiting on someone to call out my error.

Melee get more points for doing the same damage.  Scoring a headshot gives 1-2 points?
Just change the point system to only equal the amount of damage done without proximity points. 
At the very least this will show what classes are dealing the most damage.  Then we can have a real discussion on risk vs reward for playstyles. 

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 06:56:39 am »
I'd like to make another point- You know how you barely get points for killing naked/low armored folks? Ever notice how much you get targeted by arrows when you are poorly armored? I think archers tend to target only the lowly armored enemy just for the sake of kills, then complain about high kd/low points ratio. Not saying all archers do it, but I do think it's something to take into consideration. I'm also fairly certain people get most of their points based on the damage they inflict on the enemy, there is no unfairness.

Eh, someone correct me if I'm wrong.. do archers not get the same points for damage as melee? if they do the exact same damage?

Everytime I see a lightarmored enemy in the enemy blob I ask myself whether I should target him first or not. He could be

a) a poor peasant who simply cant afford armor, thereby not posing the biggest threat.
b) an experienced player who can zip in and out of combat due to low armor weight to aid his teammates, thereby posing a large threat.

Fighting 2 people at once is always harder than fighting one person. As reducing enemy numbers as quickly as possible is helpful either way, I usually go for the kill if there is no other target around that needs to be focused in the first place ( enemy cav, enemy horse ranged, enemy that is just about to backstab teammate etc. ) because it means a fast removal of a potential threat.

Still, the direct point gain from ranged hits is simply not the same as for melee hits and I get where this comes from. Instead of proximity points like melees get, I would like to see a point multiplier for ranged combat. As an archer I can shoot some stationary guy in the back of his head from close distance or I can headshot kill cav riding at full speed over half the map and the scoring system ( afaik ) doesnt handle those shots differently at all.

I would like to so see the distance and the movementspeed of the target to be taken into account. Even native singleplayer kinda has this feature with the yellow "shot difficulty" popping up in the bottom left corner, although beeing a lot more vague I imagine. Also bonus points for every hit/kill that occurs during the arrowstagger you caused with your hit would be fair I guess ( respectively, minus points when you do it to a teammate of course ).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siper

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 07:33:16 am »
Everytime I see a lightarmored enemy in the enemy blob I ask myself whether I should target him first or not. He could be

a) a poor peasant who simply cant afford armor, thereby not posing the biggest threat.
b) an experienced player who can zip in and out of combat due to low armor weight to aid his teammates, thereby posing a large threat.

Fighting 2 people at once is always harder than fighting one person. As reducing enemy numbers as quickly as possible is helpful either way, I usually go for the kill if there is no other target around that needs to be focused in the first place ( enemy cav, enemy horse ranged, enemy that is just about to backstab teammate etc. ) because it means a fast removal of a potential threat.

Still, the direct point gain from ranged hits is simply not the same as for melee hits and I get where this comes from. Instead of proximity points like melees get, I would like to see a point multiplier for ranged combat. As an archer I can shoot some stationary guy in the back of his head from close distance or I can headshot kill cav riding at full speed over half the map and the scoring system ( afaik ) doesnt handle those shots differently at all.

I would like to so see the distance and the movementspeed of the target to be taken into account. Even native singleplayer kinda has this feature with the yellow "shot difficulty" popping up in the bottom left corner, although beeing a lot more vague I imagine. Also bonus points for every hit/kill that occurs during the arrowstagger you caused with your hit would be fair I guess ( respectively, minus points when you do it to a teammate of course ).

Well ok, targeting low armored folks is actually not a bad option, but I think it does create a misconception that archery gives less points. It seems to me that none of you have solid info on whether archery gives the same points as melee for inflicted damage. I'm tempted to try to run some tests myself when I get a chance..

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »
Please do!

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2013, 12:15:51 am »
+1

Fighting 2 people at once is always harder than fighting one person. ...

personally i find it a way easier to fight two enemies than one.
one opponent alone has a heavy focus on the defense, but if there are two, then they will get careless a way faster.

anyway, with regard to the points. as meele fighter you have to go up close to a lot of pointy things, as archer you are save somewhere in the back and then you want valor points for a killing of an enemy who can not even harm you at this range?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:22:08 am by Mala »

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:10 am »
historically archers were of lower social caste than a melee would be. Achers were highly trained in their art, but most were peasants who were skilled hunters. Therefore if an archer were to get more points than a knight it would bring dishonor to his famry. Thats why archers get less points...

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:28 am »
Most of the feudal armies where spear/pikemen levied as a meatshield for the more usefull classes, being archers xbowmen and knights. Overall a trained archer or a peasant significant enought to be given a crossbow where more important than the average melee unit.

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2013, 03:17:34 am »
Most of the feudal armies where spear/pikemen levied as a meatshield for the more usefull classes, being archers xbowmen and knights. Overall a trained archer or a peasant significant enought to be given a crossbow where more important than the average melee unit.

you cant use real history here  :P