Poll

Do you like this idea?

Yes
6 (42.9%)
No
5 (35.7%)
Maybe - It could use some work (Post your ideas)
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: A new mode for battle.  (Read 667 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
A new mode for battle.
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:58:52 pm »
+6
Why I don't like Battle

I'm not a fan of battle mode. The biggest reason being that I don't get to play this game much anymore and battle is all about waiting around.

Say someone on the other team randomly fires at your team and you get a bolt in the head. GG. Now you get to wait 5 minutes to play again. Or just waiting around for that asshole HA/HX to die. No fun.

Not to mention that strategy and tactics on battle is to stay on the group and gangbang the people on the other team who didn't stay with the group. Then one side eventually has a lot more players and the round is over. Or you hit the high point of battle tactics; where each team just camps and shoots each other for 5 minutes. Good times.

I'm not a fan of TDM either. If we switched to TDM, everybody would just be trying to gangbang peasants to try to up that kill counter as fast as possible. Kind of lame.

New Mode Idea

I suggest a new Battle mode where you respawn and it is sort-of ticket based. But instead of tickets, you use gold. Each time you respawn, your equipment cost is taken from your team's gold reserve plus an additional cost for your extra life. The first team to hit 0 gold loses. Battle then becomes about conserving your own assets, while removing the other team's. Sure, your cavalry can keep respawning now, but those horses will cut into your team's gold pretty quickly.

The devs can probably pull player gear cost pretty easily and extrapolate upon that. For example, let's say that your average player uses 35,000 in gear. If we multiply that by 3 (to assume each player gets 3 lives) that gives 105,000 per player. At the start of the round, the server can change the team's gold by the amount of players in the server. So if 80 players are in the server, each team gets 4.2 million gold. So that 4.2 million would be your team's pot.

Whenever you respawn, your new life will cost about 500 gold (if you're level 30) on top of whatever your gear costs. Your respawn cost will vary depending on your level. So it will cost a level 2 player (2/30*500) 33 gold to respawn. A level 10 player (10/30*500) 167 gold to respawn and a level 35 player (35/30*500) 583 gold to respawn.

Each player could also be awarded a gold/xp bonus based on their efficiency. The more damage you do with the less gold you spend increases your efficiency rating for the round. It can also be used to help cut out griefing. Is your efficiency rating terrible? Sorry, you aren't allowed to spawn with that plated charger.

What do you guys think? Comments? Concerns? Questions?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:05:46 pm by rustyspoon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: A new mode for battle.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
+1
I feel like this has a similar problem to DOTA, where it's possible for a single inexperienced player to contribute greatly to his team's downfall. Nobody wants to be that guy when they are still learning the game.

The other problem is players intentionally griefing their team. A player could throw on plate and ride a plated charger, and then proceed to get himself killed repeatedly.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
+1
I feel like this has a similar problem to DOTA, where it's possible for a single inexperienced player to contribute greatly to his team's downfall. Nobody wants to be that guy when they are still learning the game.

The other problem is players intentionally griefing their team. A player could throw on plate and ride a plated charger, and then proceed to get himself killed repeatedly.

Thought of a couple solutions to that. One is that your respawn cost (not equipment) is determined based on your level. So a level 30 player costs 500 gold to respawn. So let's say you're level 1. Your respawn cost would be 1/30*500 which rounds to 17 gold. If you're level 20 it would be (20/30*500) 333 gold to respawn. So low-level players wouldn't cost your team much.

Another thing could be an xp/gold bonus per player based on their efficiency. It could be a ratio based on the amount of damage you inflict divided by the amount of gold you've used.

Another option would be to cap the amount of team gold that each individual can use based on their efficiency rating.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »
+2
I like this idea a lot. But I have to second the comment by Saul, players will intentionally grief the team. A efficiency rating might work in the short term but 'good griefers' will just work it up then grief for however rounds they can, then repeat the process.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:01:05 pm »
+1
You noobs are not messing with my income!

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:40:32 am »
I agree that Battle sucks (as of recently at least) but I don't really like your suggestion for the reasons already listed.  I don't have any decent suggestions of my own either.  Personally I'd like to see an official melee server but that isn't going to happen.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 02:29:58 am »
I'd prefer just a wave respawn. I'm not really sure what the battle time limit is, i'll just say it is 5 minutes. Every 2 and a half minutes all players that are dead will respawn. If all players on one team are dead they don't respawn.