Author Topic: what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:40 pm »
I added a message that shows the sweetspot factor right before it's used to reduce damage

This is very cool stuff cmp, thanks for the test. The sweetspot factors do seem to show that the right side is just a bad place for both left swing and right swing. You are saying these sweetspot factors are the same for 2h and pole? Because the 2 o'clock position you show (with sweetspot factor of 0.64) always seemed like a nice position for polearm swings, but a terrible position for 1h swings. Maybe pole and 1h have mirrored sweetspots?

Never played 2h, so someone else will have to chime on the relative "sweetness" of right vs. left for 2h.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: what does 1 speed translate to in wpf terms?
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
+3
I checked the numbers and it looks that right and left sweetspots are symmetrical after all. Attacks that hit inside a 113 degree cone in front of the attacker will deal full damage, attacks that hit outside a 174 degree cone will deal no damage (and the rest is linearly scaled). Or maybe I fucked up the numbers, but the formula is this:

Code: [Select]
cosAngle = dot(direction_between_agents, attacker_direction) <- unit length vectors in 2d space
noDamageCosAngle = 0.05
fullDamageCosAngle = 0.55
sweetSpotFactor = clamp((cosAngle - noDamageCosAngle) / (fullDamageCosAngle - noDamageCosAngle), 0.0, 1.0)

It doesn't make any distinction between weapon types. I think they feel different because the position/rotation of the hand (and weapon) is based on the animation, and that will affect where/when it hits.