Author Topic: How to play archer?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: How to play archer?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »
You should remember: worst enemy if you are ranged is other ranged. So shoot them down every single time if you can.

More than heavy plated cav ?  :P

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:03 pm »
I have those points at archery, not 2h;). At the moment its like 150 archery and 51 1 handed. Now iam trying nomad bow. Missle speed and accuary is almost the same as rus bow, higher speed rating, but its way cheaper to upkeep and higher dmg= less accuary. Bodkins cost much, do pierce dmg and its only better for heavy armored targets(same as blunt). Also +4 cut for tatar compensate dmg difference between nomad and rus bow.
So you use a low damage bow with Tatar arrows and you complain about damage? Pierce is indeed better against armored targets, but from like 30 body armour the armour piercing effect of pierce already outweights the +4 damage you get from using Tatar arrows. 30 body armour is not a lot, I think 98% of the average server has higher than that, and a lot higher as well. Do yourself a favour and switch to bodkins.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 07:28:34 am »
More than heavy plated cav ?  :P

IMO yes, because he have to come close to you. If you are aware, and cav is a lonley lancer it's preety easy to avoid his attacks :)
Most scary raiders for me are 1h on arabian warhosres, because they can hit you even if you are under horse or behind it...
But still ranged is your biggest enemy :)
Archer forever :D

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:03 am »
One thing to consider on bodkins vs all other arrows is your ammo per slot. You will rarely need 2 slots' worth of arrows, even with bodkins. But the recent weight changes to quivers has made 1 slot of arrows a better choice depending on your build and other items. One quiver of loomed Arrows (the plain kind) has 27 for 1 slot. One quiver of loomed bodkins has 17.

I'm a horse archer, so I prefer more shots over armor piercing shots. I use +3 Arrows, but used to use tatar arrows. The upkeep on bodkins isn't bad, unless you have 3 stacks of them AND an arabian horse. For foot archers, I'd say either bodkin or tatar arrows are the only viable choices. Tatars work best with a long bow so you can maximize the cut damage to take down horses, enemy ranged, and lightly armored infantry. Bodkins are more expensive but will work no matter what build you go for.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:16 am »
Well my friend i guess you have to be good as steevee or me to have good score ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
Basically, play a gen as a 2h first, earn up gold, also sell loompoint, because running around with bodkins costs as much in upkeep as playing in fullplate with top tier weapons. Or more, even.

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
Basically, play a gen as a 2h first, earn up gold, also sell loompoint, because running around with bodkins costs as much in upkeep as playing in fullplate with top tier weapons. Or more, even.
I disagree, yesterday I made 10k playing as I was hardly ever on X1. Some days I lose about 2-6k but in the long run I always make money.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:39 pm »
In foreseeable past i've lost 25k gold on my archer in as many rounds. I use some cheapo 25 body armor thing, longbow and bodkins. Most of the upkeep seems to come from the bodkins.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »
+1
Technically, I do not see any reason to play archer after last items weight rebalance.

with my 34 level build

str 18
dex 24

6 ps
6 pd
8 wm
8 at

163 archery
89 2h

I'm more comfortable with 1 slot xbow (yes, with 0 point in xbow) and great bardiche, at least I do not move like old, drunk tortoise (archer with bow and two quivers)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:39:51 pm by Cup1d »