Author Topic: Pikes and spears, overhead stab  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Yachdiel

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Thraus
    • View Profile
Re: Pikes and spears, overhead stab
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »
+2
I really like this idea for hoplites. I don't think it's as good for pikes, but the big flaw for hoplites is that they can ONLY stab low. Therefore I think that adding an overhead attack (at least for the shorter spears) would really be beneficial.

In addition, it is also very realistic as Greek hoplites stabbed overhead most of the time. It really surprised me as they are usually depicted (Rome Total War) as stabbing underhand, but I've read quite a few sources that say they fought with overhand stabs primarily. Some pictures just to emphasize the point:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I agree with the implementation for Hoplites, as Hoplites usually have a harder time being supporting of their group. With a decreased length, you will always see the hoplite, and know if its an up or down stab. Hoplites have the same minimum distance before being useful and can be taken on 1v1 easily, but are meant to operate as support or in a group of hoplites. 2 1h can swing different ways and can easily kill, 2 hoplites can be easily dealt with. It would be nice to finally feel capable of Hoplite formations.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
Re: Pikes and spears, overhead stab
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »
+2
why only pikes? dont forget the spears :)