Author Topic: Greek shields.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: Greek shields.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »
implent this... NAOW!

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Those shields are quite ancient, being (I think) the common shield of the Mycenaeans (the "Greek" side of the Trojan war).  They're cool looking, and functional, but shouldn't be confused with more classical gear like: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think Mycenaean shields were mostly used for dueling after 600BC.  I'm not too sure about this though, and it's worth researching elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:52:42 pm by Diomedes »

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:03:45 am »
Anyway, i was not talking about modifiying the models shown in the original post, but just to add some "holed" shield also. In fact you could clasiffy different "greek styles" shields (be micenean, spartan, athenian or whatever) into tiers, requiring different shield requirement (as is done with nords, swadian, etc in the original)

Variety gives richness to the game.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:15:36 am »
Can we just get OP's shield please? Maybe all three, or maybe a heraldic version.

I don't care, really. Can we please just implement at least one of OP's shields?
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:32 am »
If would be great to change shape so the greek shield had 2 "holes" in both sides. They were used by hoplites to couch and thrust their spears through those "holes" whiles still covering. Something like:

It would be great!

I hope you're not hoping to be able to thrust with those shields while still holding your guard up... Aside from that though, I wouldn't mind them, the more the merrier!

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:23:32 am »
I hope you're not hoping to be able to thrust with those shields while still holding your guard up... Aside from that though, I wouldn't mind them, the more the merrier!

Clearly not. Same mechanics as ever, cover and attack. Even though what could be done is to add some NOT PENALTY FOR 1H WIELD spear. Hoplite-style have very underrated weapons right now (being the better the war spear and battle fork) and would need some more expensive high tier weapon, considering they only have 1 attack direction.

I'd add a trident as a top 1h spear (being one like the roman retiarius gladiator wore).

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:38 am »

Actually, this would be pretty awesome.  Hoplites that can attack with more limited range, a little less damage, and who retain their guard would make the class much more practical in-game.  Other players would have to either get around the shield (which is more narrow than most), break it, or get a teammate to help.  Food for thought.

/derailment of a good thread

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:48 am »
Actually, this would be pretty awesome.  Hoplites that can attack with more limited range, a little less damage, and who retain their guard would make the class much more practical in-game.  Other players would have to either get around the shield (which is more narrow than most), break it, or get a teammate to help.  Food for thought.

/derailment of a good thread

The problem is that you're not taking into account character builds, even with less range and damage, a str build can kill with one thrust a person medium armored, imagine that in the middle of a messy battle, attacking with block up, killing everyone distracted, and with your "block all attacks in this direction" up. Imagine a agi build, you wont be able to get around the shield, he's too fast and can spin in place, you have to go around, and he will just spam at you, since he doesn't have to block (aside from holding right click), all he has to do is press the left button as fast as he can and wait for you to make a mistake in timing...

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 01:53:39 pm »
Id be in favor of adding #1 or #2 from op's shields.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps