Author Topic: Fire arrows  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
Re: Fire arrows
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
Fire is best.
We could have a secondary toggle for all weapons that would set them on fire.
it would help brighten up the night battles.

LOL - I just visualized all those cherubim wielding a flaming FLAMberge... this would brighten up night battles indeed!

(or maybe even knock them down, stop, drop and roll kinda thing)

effects like in Medieval II Total War? Highly unrealistic (those fricking armors don't burn very well), but of course I would not object seeing our super-heros rolling like dogs trying to put out the flames... literally ROF without the L

Otherwise: full ack to what EliteDragon said, might be the best way to implement it.
But let them burn for a few seconds after impact, makes it more fun to watch.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
This would make night battles look pretty, and I want to see a Miley charge out of the darkness in full plate with three or so flaming arrows stuck out of her swinging at people.
I could see how they might implement this. Use the fire visual effects and scale them down, stick them on the tips of arrows, give the possibility of catching siege engines and peasants on fire, and decrease range/Add damage? Oh and as for Miley I don't think just 3 arrows would do the trick. :wink:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:27:52 pm by TheDashingRogue »

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:43:46 pm »
Fire catapults>Fire ballista>Greek Fire (see sea battles for crpg)>Fire arrows
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »
Fire catapults>Fire ballista>Greek Fire (see sea battles for crpg)>Fire arrows
Yes. Also, working firebombs.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 12:04:06 am »
Wait wait. As much as fire arrows are cool, especially in night time, they should do MUCH less damage, as most fire arrows are rags tied to the front of the arrow that is then lit up. The whole rags thing usually makes the pointy bit a lot less pointy. Projectile speed needs to be somehow decreased too to simulate the increased drop. DOT? Getting hit by a rag is not going to set too many soldiers on fire. In fact most would be glad for getting hit by a fire arrow instead of a real arrow.

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:36 am »
Guys. Think literally. Catching anything on fire would require the use of particle effects, which not only lag like a bitch but would be a bitch to code any kind of flame "spreading" or anything "catching on fire".

I suppose the closest thing that could be done is putting in a flame effect on every flammable scenery object in the map, then manually disabling them until hit by an arrow. I think projectiles in this game act as entities, so it might be codeable. Not practical though.

The most realistic thing would be replacing the standard arrowhead with an arrowhead "covered in flame" both strung and in motion, but doing blunt damage with a severe bonus to shields (IE: Better versus barricades and shields)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:14:29 am by Whalen207 »
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login