Poll

Add in the Ability for Two/One handers to switch between 2 hand / 1 hand mode

Yes
33 (75%)
No
11 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: 1/2h swords  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
Re: 1/2h swords
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:32 am »
bumping for more votes and opinions
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 04:15:58 am »
bumping for more votes and opinions

More votes are needed <<<

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 06:31:49 pm »
I think it would water down 1h and 2h prof.

The way it stands now works well, I think if anything maybe expand the number of 1h/2h alternate mode weapons.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »
I'm always amazed how effective some people are with Morningstar in 1h mode. It's so slow, people get bored waiting to block and try to attack anyway, so they get hit.
Also, really slow overheads let you drag along the ground for a long time, so you can really surprise people.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:26 pm »
Probably going to have to do something with the halfsword 2hs though. ' dont know if its possible to have three different choices.

Buff 'em.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 01:36:00 am »
whoever said "why use one hand if you can use two" with respect to realism needs to pick up a hatchet or a wooden stick and swing it with 1 hand compared to two. You get a much better arc with one hand its less jarring at the end of the swing and for most swords of a normal weight its faster. Two hands allows you to push into the target and prevents stabs from deflecting but for the most part using a weapon with 1 hand is easier and more natural.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 03:12:44 am »
Moar votes!

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
Still could use some more votes

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:35 pm »
I have no idea why would you like to use bastard swords or morningstar as 1h since it loses so much speed and becomes useless anyway because of penalty.

Also looking from realism point of view: why would you hold a sword with one hand if you can hold it with both hands?

Realistically, holding a longsword with one hand will increase your range by a few inches and can be useful for hitting an opponent when he thinks that he's out of range.

See 1:05 and 3:20 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7VWIQCHvM

In cRPG the 1H right swing has much more range than the 2H right swing and could be used to surprise opponents who think that they're out of range. Similarly, the 1H left swing has the advantage of being much faster than the 2H left swing. Not to mention that people just don't expect to see someone using a weapon like the bastard sword or katana with one hand and they may have trouble reacting properly. It's like the tactic of changing from orthodox to southpaw in boxing; you do it to throw your opponent off. This would be especially effective since these weapons are held in one hand anyway when you're 'idle' or running, so unlike with halfswording there wouldn't be any indication of what mode your weapon is in until you attack.

Using these weapons with one hand may not be super effective, but it's definitely better than halfswording with them. Halfsword mode can be good for greatswords in tight spaces but when you're using a shorter sword it's totally pointless.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:37 pm »
I actually use my longsword as both 1h (with shield, sometimes a shield is necessary like in face of ranged and is handy on horseback), as a 2h (naturally) and as a polearm. The halfsworded longsword can be used as a spear with shield in which case it has quite adequate range (and penalty due to being used with shield, ofc, but the animation is different the 1h stab and unusual and has afaik longer range although is much much slower).

By 31 I'll have about 100ish wpf in all three cathegories, too. Halfsword mode is however very bad without shield due to very bad range. It's ok for greatswords.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:04:44 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".