Author Topic: First Thoughts  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: First Thoughts
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »
+2
I started playing in december 2010. The last month of the old cRPG. I was hooked immediately and after that month I was level 23 and I must've played a lot. Back then there was no skip the fun and most of the players weren't level 30, most of them were level 35-40 with over 200 wpf and they all used plate.

I don't know what your problem is that you can't stand being a peasant for just a bit. You just set different goals, I did my best supporting my teammates with a pitchfork. Doing anything to help your team win was very rewarding to me. That lvl 23 that took me a month of intense playing to attain, now takes you 10 hours at most. You'll have a fine competing chance by then. Using your starting gear you'll gain about 6k an hour. In 5 hours you can buy 30k worth of gear which is about average.

If you can't even put a little research in to find a proper character spec, and then start complaining about the game being flawed, I'm not even sure why I am trying to convince you to stick with this game. There is even a beginners section on this forum, with all the information you need in Tears' beginners guide.

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »
Everyone has pretty much said everything already but ill just say 1 thing. You complain that this game is just 1 big grind and that you have no chance against the players who are 'stacked'. What else would you expect? This is an RPG. You claim to like RPGs and every RPG has some form grind so what is your problem? Furthermore, you wouldnt expect to play any other RPG or MMO and expect to be able to match veteran players instantly, in fact, you'd have to put 100s of hours into other games to get to that level. In CRPG, a semi-skilled 'new' player can take on seasoned veterans in 10-15 hours of play.

Yes, the game can seem harsh if you're new AND you suck but the only solution is to continue playing and hope you get better. If you cant be bothered to do that then just uninstall.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »
+1
I agree. I like the mod, but they need to up cash income or something for new players. I love a good rpg but even after hitting 30 all I could afford was basically shit compared to what most people have. I was shooting multiple arrows on people for them to just truck through body hits and oneshot me with a quick swing. It didn't take long for this to drive away a few friends playing, thus ending this mod for me. I'm really not sure how you should fix it without saying boost the beginning players with little to no gear. Maybe some sort of formula applied to characters with under $XXXXX amount spent? I'm honestly not sure, I just know I'm sure as FUCK not dying 1000 times just to get one kill. Not. Happening.

My first gen I had a set of medium armor (heraldic mail with surcoat, mail chausses, mail gauntlets and a nordic something helmet (30 head armor)).  I had a courser, a heavy lance, a heater shield, and a scimitar.

I was able to ride my courser on my first gen for about half the time between level 25 and retiring at 31.  I was footman a lot of the time to be able to afford riding my horse.  After I retired I sold my heirloom point for like 450k, and was able to buy a +1 courser for 350k.  Your first generation you should be trying to make enough money to buy a full set of equipment, and then you should be working to get to level 31.  Sell your loompoint and then buy a +1 and make some money (hopefully 100k or more). 

Once you're not worried about making enough money to still buy equipment, then I would say having a 30-40,000 total gear loadout cost will still allow you to slowly make money (as long as you're not staying at x1 for too long).

If you're still trying to make money and still want to be able to fight, you should be wearing around 20-25k total gold for your gear.  You can still wear medium/light armor and have a good melee weapon.  True you won't be able to wear heavy armor and still make money, but that's the point of the game.  You accumulate money as you play, and those who have accumulated money and have some money saved up are able to use the more expensive gear.

I'm sorry you think that the game should be catered to your short time of playing (a week or two at most to get to level 30).  Some people have been playing this mod for 2 years, so if we catered to people who have been playing for 2 weeks, it would be a very different game.

Before you start raging and complaining, maybe you should have tried to post in the beginner section of the forum asking for help.  Most factions will allow newbs to come into their teamspeak or ventrilo and ask questions (if you go to the faction hall section of the forums, most clans have their teamspeak info public, and you can just join right up).  You could have used the forums as a resource, there's a TON of information which can be hard to parse, but there's so much good information out there.  Start with the beginner section, read the FAQ's and guides for noobs. 

There's two different character calculator's for calculating your stats and skills so you can get the most efficient build possible.

Raging on the forums is not an option if you want to actually pick up the game and learn.

Your attitude reminds me of the WoW-era of gamers who think everything should be catered to them and that they shouldn't have to have trade-offs for anything.  I'm guessing you're also the same kind of person who joins an FPS game and doesn't even look at the options or keyboard mapping and just jumps in expecting to rape.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:01:37 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:38 pm »
...even look at the options or keyboard mapping and just jumps in expecting to rape.

Man. The options and keymapping is the first damn thing I read when I start a new game.

So when the tutorial is all DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN PRESS Z FOR RAGEMODE?! I'm all

I know.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »
Also besides being the stereotypical ADHD generation (as diggles puts it and I agree with) he's also clearly suffering from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »
Also besides being the stereotypical ADHD generation (as diggles puts it and I agree with) he's also clearly suffering from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Extremely this. OP wants to rambo in at level 1 and get a 5-1 KD

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:49 pm »
I did not have the exact same way of getting into the game like everyone else. Thovex and Razzen (2 veteran players, one still plays a little), asked me to try this mod out, and i did. I was clueless to wtf i was doing. I was getting my ass kicked 24/7. But i didnt give up, i kept trying.

And the best thing of all, was that i had Razzen and Thovex to ask whenever i wanted to know something. Razzen (my Irl brother) was the one that rly helped me, and because of him, my first build was actually pretty decent. So i didnt need to go through 2-3 frustrating gens, because i didnt know what to do. Just because i got a little help from a veteran.

It is a giant help to have a veteran player to ask for help, and i think u should try PM'ing the guys who offered their help.

One of my funniest and best moments, was when i retired when i were a veteran. As a lvl 3, with a wooden sword, i stood up for myself in fights, and got a 3-0 score (until a clanmate killed my ass, i still hate him for it!). That feeling was awesome. U just need to get a grip of how the game works, and it can really be a joy to play.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:55:16 pm by _GTX_ »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
I did not have the exact same way of getting into the game like everyone else. Thovex and Razzen (2 veteran players, one still plays a little), asked me to try this mod out, and i did. I was clueless to wtf i was doing. I was getting my ass kicked 24/7. But i didnt give up, i kept trying.

And the best thing of all, was that i had Razzen and Thovex to ask whenever i wanted to know something. Razzen (my Irl brother) was the one that rly helped me, and because of him, my first build was actually pretty decent. So i didnt need to go through 2-3 frustrating gens, because i didnt know what to do. Just because i got a little help from a veteran.

It is a giant help to have a veteran player to ask for help, and i think u should try PM'ing the guys who offered their help.

One of my funniest and best moments, was when i retired when i were a veteran. As a lvl 3, with a wooden sword, i stood up for myself in fights, and got a 3-0 score (until a clanmate killed my ass, i still hate him for it!). That feeling was awesome. U just need to get a grip of how the game works, and it can really be a joy to play.

I had a similar start to this mod. My old roommate Onimaho was the one who told me to try it out. I asked him all my questions, and I got my ass kicked for most of the first two months I played (katana and shield lol).

We didn't even have generations at that point, they weren't implemented yet. By the time retiring came out, I was capable in combat (not stellar by any means). But that is why I like this mod so much; the sense of achievement that comes with your virtual journey.

It took me 2 months of constant combat to grind to buy a cataphract horse, and my milanese plate. It actually felt like an achievement when you could afford it.

Nowadays everyone just sits around twiddling their thumbs and eventually even the least skilled peasant moron can buy plate armor and think he's good. It doesn't make you good; it just takes me 2 more seconds to demolish you.

The skill gap in cRPG has gotten vastly wider since the implementation of the tick system.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »
To improve their gold haul lots of vets routinely use mediocre-low quality gear and still do quite well. Gear is probably only 25% of combat, it just gives you some more margin for error. The rest of combat is skill.

The learning curve for this game can be considered fairly high, there's lots of guides for newbies on how to get better, and people will answer your questions if you ask, but its just not some auto target MMO or console shooter where anyone can jump in and start progressing, the mechanics require a fairly deep understanding, and solid reflexes/timing, and you will get sliced and diced until you do get the hang of it, no amount of platemail will help you out for a while until you do learn to fight well, guys with wooden swords and peasant rags will spank you.