Author Topic: The official help a noob out with learning CRPG/Warband  (Read 7727 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: The official help a noob out with learning CRPG/Warband
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:58:12 pm »
I have a HUGE problem with my upper block where I twitch way too far, so after two up blocks I am looking at the sky and die to a side feint.
lol, i allways feel so embarressed when this is happening. you meet an opponent, do a good fight and suddenly you are looking in the sky and are absolute helpless. btw this is especially bad if fighting on steep slopes. can be a huge disadvantage when fighting on top, if the one lower makes an overhead its very hard to block it while keeping the sight of him.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »
Thucydides, I've got two questions:

Are you using Directx7 or 9?

What is your frame rate?

how do i find this out?

and thanks for the help guys, i too have a tendency to overtwitch and end up looking up at nothing. At that point i just flail wildly and hope that the opponent gets scared away until i regain my senses.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:38 am »
well, if you don't know your probably using dx9, dx7 is veeeery old and only needed for similar old machines. and it looks ... different.

you can turn on "show framerate" in video configuration before strartup.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:24 am »
In general, a faster weapon is easier to use. It allows for more margin of error.
Maybe even try a shielder build. That helps a lot against multiple opponents and facing ranged.

Good tip about checking framerate. If the game runs smooth, everything is easier. Getting a stable 120-130 fps (i cap mine at 123) is optimal. I play with medium detail on 1920x1080.

Good tips about mouse usage. Make sure you don't make too large twitch movements to block and practice facing the right way all the time, even when manually blocking. Oh and footwork is incredibly important. High athletics really helps.

They way i see it there are three styles: facehugging, kiting and countering:

- Facehugging: a spammers favorite. Get up and close and try to get behind someone. Force them to turn heavily and attack agressively.

- Kiting: keep the opponent out of weapon range. Force them to walk forward to you by backpedaling and then swing and step forward. This gives you the initiative. Works great if you have a long and fast weapon.

- Countering: anticipate their swing. Be ready for it. Block it and swing back. If they block, either step back and kite or facehug and spam. If you feel confident, you might try chambering. But even after a 1000 hours, i still don't attempt to chamber much myself. It's risky. Don't spend much time on that, yet.

Oh and blocking speed is constant. Any weapon is good to block with. But the slower weapons are really hard to land a hit with, because the enemy gets lots of time to react.
Duels really help, especially if you are on teamspeak with them and they are giving you good feedback.

A good player can just feint the shit out of me and do so in a way that makes it impossible for me to counterattack
Not true. If a player feints, they often have a clear pattern. Actually, most people constantly faint once or twice. In that case: spam. It's a calculated risk; someone faints, you swing, they block, you immediately swing again. If they feint, you hit first.
Some players alternate normal attacks with feints. Harder to deal with. Try to anticipate the next feint and just boldy attack.

I also do stupid mistakes like blocking up instead of left or what have you. I don't know how to deal with it honestly.
I have the same problem. Most obvious solution: go 1h + shield, like me.  :rolleyes:
If you want to preservere with the manual blocking, all i can say is practice makes perfect. Try duels where you only focus on blocking. This must become an automatic reflex. Relax. Don't tense up when dueling. Make sure you keep facing them dead on. Check if your mouse sensitivity is good. If you tend to pick up your mouse a lot, sensitivity is too low. High sensitivity makes it harder to manual block because you quickly end up looking at the sky. Block in very short, twitchy movements.

For facing multiple opponents althletics is key. Alternate between backpedaling so only one enemy can attack you and suddenly stepping forward in between enemies coupled with attacking the less obvious opponent (the one not closest to you). This often works well.

Agression and confidence are important. Perhaps a long, fast weapon suits you better. Experiment with the hafted blade or maybe the long hafted knobbed mace.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:39:55 am »
I do find the LHSM to be easier to duel with, but depending on the size of battle i find the GLA to be far better due to its one hit+shield breaking ability.

I've learned today that codeine and Manual blocking does not work well together, god i sucked