Author Topic: [Wild Idea] What if weapon damage was linked to health  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [Wild Idea] What if weapon damage was linked to health
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 04:49:17 am »
And how exactly can a melee damage a ranged? Any ranged would just shoot at you till you get close, than this would give him the advantage in a melee fight, despite his lower wpf/ps.

Yes, because there are never archers shooting at other archers...I use xbow and I am always targeting enemy archers. 

I thought it was assumed the injury penalty would affect archers and xbows too (at least for accuracy), but no, of course this is made into infantry vs ranged like always.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »
I think the idea is not bad.
The lack of realism is actually the thing that ticks me off most after playing a few weeks of M&B.

Swing speed and damage (resp. accuracy/damage for throwers and accuracy/shooting speed for bows/xbows) clearly should go down when you are bleeding from several wounds and have an axe dangling in your face...

And to spin this further: things like running/fatigue should also kick in. When I just ran half a mile round a castle in full armor, I should hardly be able to lift my sword (in old times people actually fought in 5-15 minute intervals - no-one was able to fight longer with those heavy weapons and armors...) and be able to kill an enemy only by the stench of my armpits...

And that I as an archer can jump around and run at will and then pull off a head shot at 100 yards is a joke as well - I should have to wait until my heart rate and breathing is down to normal.

OK - probably not possible with that game engine.

Imbalance towards ranged: not exactly. I often lose 20-60 percent very early thanks to some 0 WPF sniper-xbow-sidearm-wielding tincan, an archer buddy, or a capable thrower.

And btw - that is just what ranged were for: bleeding, annoying, delaying and wounding the enemy, so they arrived with less motivation and power and were easier to finish off. If you want melee duels at full health, go duel server.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:21:09 pm by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 05:57:24 pm »
This is a terrible idea and you should feel terrible for proposing it. Who in their right mind would want to play this game if you could be gimped by a hail mary sniper bolt in the opening seconds of the game? This isnt fucking armed assault where everyone gets a weapon that can kill out to 2km. All this would do is pressure players to be even bigger pussies than they are now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 11:01:01 am »
what i can imagine is a lot of archers/crossbowmen would shoot you and then run away so you'll be almost useless on the battlefield, while they don't have to take any chances, though if it would only affect your running speed it would be less of a mayor gameplay change.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 03:50:50 am »
@Berethorn
With the exception of maybe Hirlok, I don't think anyone has suggested a nerf to run speed, and his suggestion is about stamina not injury.

------------------------

The penalty does not have to be gimp-worthy levels, so please (everyone) stop assuming worst-case scenarios.  This topic ought to be about whether the concept is sound, and I think it is.  It should only be a matter of working out the numbers.  I'll try to give an example of how the most severe penalties could be reserved for those near death.

---------------------------------------------------------

Example:
Player has 50 hp max.

(90-100%) 45-50 hp ::  No penalty

(70-90%) 35-45 hp :: -10% wpf & [-5% melee damage/throw damage/ranged draw & reload speed] & -1% swing speed

(40-70%) 20-35 hp :: -20% wpf & [-10% melee damage/throw damage/ranged draw & reload speed] & -2% swing speed

(10%-40%) 5-20 hp :: -30% wpf & [-25% melee damage/throw damage/ranged draw & reload speed] & -3% swing speed

(1%-10%) 1-5 hp :: -50% wpf & [-40% melee/throw damage/ranged draw & reload speed] & -5% swing speed

For those with most of their health, the penalty is very minimal. It's only those with low health, or critical levels, that would feel the full brunt of the penalty.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:51:54 am by Duke »

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 07:35:09 am »
that's what i mean. if someone with normally a high WPF and has been shot by an xbow he'll be a lot less efficient and usefull on the battlefield. wich means that a lot of people would start to shoot at the more skilled players so they can even kill the knights without being that good. the only thing you'd have to do before entering battle with someone is shoot him and then your chances of winning are much greater. just because the enemy is weaker because of his damage.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)