Author Topic: Shield Looming!  (Read 1872 times)

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
Re: Shield Looming!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 10:38:40 pm »
Thank you all for the help! And thanks a ton for the percentages Garison, some swell work there! :D

So I have 1 last question, I choosing between either Heavy Round or Knightly Heater, the only reason I'm having trouble deciding being the speed. So at +3 the Heavy Round should have 87 speed, while Knightly Heater will have 100 or more? (don't know if that goes past 100) I'm not sure just how big the shield speed affects anything, is that gonna be a huge difference? I'm all about feinting and quick attacks so speed is definitely a concern
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »
+1
If you're quick enough, the speed won't be much of a problem. I guess the same could be said of shield width, because you can always turn to the dude hitting you, but meh. As an owner of a +3 Knightly Heater I can honestly say that the coverage is extremely underwhelming and that I wish I had picked up a +3 Heavy Round instead.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:14 pm »
I'll probably just loom a heavy round then, but we'll see. I'll play around with it a bit and see if the speed is too noticeable. Anyone know of the actual speed effect as in percentages? I know they have that for almost every mechanic in this game aha. :P

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 10:46:07 pm »
+2
The heavy round is a solid choice. I never had any problems with speed using an unloomed one, so at +3 it should be fantastic.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 10:47:49 pm »
The heavy round is a solid choice. I never had any problems with speed using an unloomed one, so at +3 it should be fantastic.

Well considering you're Saul I am now getting a Heavy Round. Thanks for helping me make up my mind! :P

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »
I don't notice speed difference too much, unless I'm using a really slow one like a plate-covered round.  SOMETIMES I would click block and think I should have blocked it, but I would get hit because the shield is too slow (I assume).  It didn't happen that often if I was careful though.

For that reason, I try to use shields that have speed 90 at least.  Most of the good shields are that fast when loomed.
This is just anecdotal evidence though.  I would try out the non-loomed ones and see what you like!

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 10:49:30 pm »
Definitely! I appreciate all the help guys, thanks!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »
Another good thing to note is that the Board Shield only uses one slot despite being heavy, except if that changed recently.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
Another good thing to note is that the Board Shield only uses one slot despite being heavy, except if that changed recently.

Plate covered round shield too,  Speed on shields is over-rated, i fight 3-5 guys at a time with it all the time. (not that I get out of that very often, but I dont lose often because my shield broke) If you need speed on your shield, your not holding it up enough, and your doing it wrong.  When I see a shield breaker, I either let someone else intercept them, or try to kill them quick/first (If i'm taking on more than one person).  My shield almost always lasts to the end of the round, or i'm dead before it explodes.

When i use the wooden shields, they break alot more often, but then maybe its because I've adapted my style to the plate covered round.  but it, in my opinion, is the best shield if you know how to use it.

I'm about to put a third loom on mine, seems like it already takes a hit or two extra from shield breakers, as it is. And its all but immortal against non-shield breaking weapons.  8-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:27:13 pm by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:36 pm »
the problem with looming already fast shields like knightly & elite cav is you basically only getting extra hp, no benefit to speed above 100

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »
the problem with looming already fast shields like knightly & elite cav is you basically only getting extra hp, no benefit to speed above 100

Well I tried the Heavy Round and after using the Elite Cav for so long, it's definitely noticeably slower, it slows down my feints by a lot, which I do not like, makes my pick a lot easier to track. And pulls block up noticeably slower as well, I think I might just loom Elite Cav, sure there's no speed gain, but it's still more speed then a loomed heavy round and that's all I need

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:38 am »
+2
Well I tried the Heavy Round and after using the Elite Cav for so long, it's definitely noticeably slower, it slows down my feints by a lot, which I do not like, makes my pick a lot easier to track. And pulls block up noticeably slower as well, I think I might just loom Elite Cav, sure there's no speed gain, but it's still more speed then a loomed heavy round and that's all I need

Shield speed actually has no effect on feints. Your eyes are just playing tricks on you because of the different size of the shields. No matter what shield you use, the animation takes the same exact amount of time.

Shield speed just determines how fast a shield blocks after you hit the block button. A 100 speed shield is as fast as manual blocking. A slow shield doesn't block until sometime after the shield is fully raised. My guess is that shield speed represents a percentage based off of manual blocking speed. So a shield with 87 speed blocks 87% as fast as a manual block. Just to give a point of reference, with an 87 speed shield, 6 shield skill and 75 ping I can still block feints and chambers. Any slower than that and probably not.

If you're looking for a shield, there's many factors you have to think about.

Can you use it with a horse? - VERY important if you think you'll ever ride a horse with a shield.
How long will it last vs axes? How long vs swords?
How much does it weigh? - This is important for two reasons. A heavy shield will slow your movement more, but will reduce your chances of being block stunned. If I'm using an elite cav, there's a good chance someone with a bar mace will block stun me. Not so with my heavy round.
How's the coverage? - Much more important for melee than ranged.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:35:16 am by rustyspoon »

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:15 am »
Shield speed actually has no effect on feints. Your eyes are just playing tricks on you because of the different size of the shields. No matter what shield you use, the animation takes the same exact amount of time.

Shield speed just determines how fast a shield blocks after you hit the block button. A 100 speed shield is as fast as manual blocking. A slow shield doesn't block until sometime after the shield is fully raised. My guess is that shield speed represents a percentage based off of manual blocking speed. So a shield with 87 speed blocks 87% as fast as a manual block. Just to give a point of reference, with an 87 speed shield, 6 shield skill and 75 ping I can still block feints. Any slower than that and probably not.

If you're looking for a shield, there's many factors you have to think about.

Can you use it with a horse? - VERY important if you think you'll ever ride a horse with a shield.
How long will it last vs axes? How long vs swords?
How much does it weigh? - This is important for two reasons. A heavy shield will slow your movement more, but will reduce your chances of being block stunned. If I'm using an elite cav, there's a good chance someone with a bar mace will block stun me. Not so with my heavy round.
How's the coverage? - Much more important for melee than ranged.

+1! Thank you for clearing up the speed mechanic, really appreciate that. Guess it was my eyes just playing tricks on me! I'll try that heavy round out again!

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 04:50:39 am »
+3 Elite cav is as durable as an unloomed knightly heater from my experience, but it has better coverage. If you aren't going cav, I recommend the  heavy round shield. The coverage isn't as great, but +3 brown lion is amazing.

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 08:24:37 am »
best is the steel shield