Author Topic: Some engineers are beginning to exploit.  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Some engineers are beginning to exploit.
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
You have to keep a close eye on these guys.  I'm starting to gather why engineers were banned in the first place.  It truly does have good intent; however, people really start off playing honestly, then as time goes they begin to dabble in the exploiting side of things.

I was in siege yesterday and the first round defense spawned a siege tent right next to the gate tower which I thought was a clever idea at the time because if they die and respawn boom they are there to protect the gate tower immediatley.  Well that was until the next round started when they spawned as defense.  Of course they spawn inside of the keep and immediatley open the gate leading to a 30 second win.  That in my opinion is exploiting game mechanics BIG TIME.

Siege equipment needs to be 100% destroyed at the end of every round.  Just as loose arrows and corpses are wiped clean of the map, siege equipment should be the same.  If that mechanic existed, the only thing I would look out for is engineers over spawning siege equipment.

As far as other peoples concerns about unlimited throwing lances, i'm not sure if I tent to agree or disagree with this.  I think it is kind of neat and creative; however, I see how it can be interpreted as overpowering.  I will just probably stay out of all debates on that topic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Some engineers are beginning to exploit.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »
+1
You have to keep a close eye on these guys.  I'm starting to gather why engineers were banned in the first place.  It truly does have good intent; however, people really start off playing honestly, then as time goes they begin to dabble in the exploiting side of things.

I was in siege yesterday and the first round defense spawned a siege tent right next to the gate tower which I thought was a clever idea at the time because if they die and respawn boom they are there to protect the gate tower immediatley.  Well that was until the next round started when they spawned as defense.  Of course they spawn inside of the keep and immediatley open the gate leading to a 30 second win.  That in my opinion is exploiting game mechanics BIG TIME.

Siege equipment needs to be 100% destroyed at the end of every round.  Just as loose arrows and corpses are wiped clean of the map, siege equipment should be the same.  If that mechanic existed, the only thing I would look out for is engineers over spawning siege equipment.

As far as other peoples concerns about unlimited throwing lances, i'm not sure if I tent to agree or disagree with this.  I think it is kind of neat and creative; however, I see how it can be interpreted as overpowering.  I will just probably stay out of all debates on that topic.

Hahahaha!  Pun!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:39:23 pm »
you seriously havnt built a forward base and the fustration that comes with it sometimes. it takes time, so no to it being destroyed at the end of the round.

If you let them build a forward spawn so close to flag then your team has failed

Offline Slev23

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:43:50 pm »
Building those forward bases takes ridiculously long, any team who has the time to do it is obviously being opposed by like one guy.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:54:11 pm »
Frank_the_Tank said that this is a glitch related to the autobalance.  If I recall correctly, he said that the server uses your original team designation for spawning in forward bases.  So, say you spawn on team A, and your friendly engineer puts down a forward base.  The forward base remembers everyone who is on your team.  The next round the game decides you are too gosu, so you are getting switched to the other team.  Even though you are now on team B, you still get spawned at team A's forward base because the forward base remembers your name from the round it was made.  This can be fixed by switching players to spectator first, and then switching them to the other team according to Frank.  I don't know how easy that would be to implement, or if it would put much of a delay between rounds.  But it is a possible solution. 

Waiting until the first team autobalance happens and then using a forward base is kind of a work around.  I think some autobalance still happens after this but usually it's not as drastic as the first round.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:01:47 pm by OpenPalm »
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:23:55 am »
Or just have all siege stuff wiped clean.  Its a new round with a fresh start.  Teams are switching around and players are constantly being shifted.  Nothing should be left over and it should start at an equal playing ground.  Sorry it takes so long to build but it can be built quite quickly w/ a siege team so just organize it in the same fashion you did in the first place and you are gold.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:19:46 am »
Or just have all siege stuff wiped clean.  Its a new round with a fresh start.  Teams are switching around and players are constantly being shifted.  Nothing should be left over and it should start at an equal playing ground.  Sorry it takes so long to build but it can be built quite quickly w/ a siege team so just organize it in the same fashion you did in the first place and you are gold.

this would probably destroy engeneering.

You'v seen one guy abuse c-sites and you already went to destroy the "class"....

this is far worse to deal with in this game imo...

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:28:44 am »
I don't think the forward bases need to die, but you shouldn't team swap and then spawn at it again :/ That is just lame.

Any engineers that do breach rules and act like nob ends will be blackballed out of ST6.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:56 am »
The group Rainbow is referring to is KUTT and we were playing with Engineer ideas last night to better prep for Strategus. In doing so we setup a Forward Spawn in a gatehouse (as Rainbow mentioned) while we were on defense on the first round. We had been getting stuck on Defense most every map up until this round and we decided to build a forward spawn since this particular castle puts you everywhere -except where you want to be.-

We built it on the first round and the only person who managed to place himself to spawn there before the round ended (it literally took the whole round with 2 people doing it) was the only one of us to spawn there when we were moved to offense. For some odd reason, your team failed to recognize him as an enemy, which is understandable, I'd be bewildered as well if there was someone from the other team right next to me when I spawned. He opened the gate, not thinking he was going to get it open, and our team zerg'd in and took the flag. Next round though, he was still the only person that spawned there, your team was better prepared, killed him, and destroyed the spawn.

Long story short..

We'll be more selective of when and where we place these (as we did in maps following that map) because we had every intention of using it safely as a defense position but the autobalance screwed us to offense and made it seem like a griefing tool. In the future we'll wait until the second round (as we did the rest of the night) before building any sort of forward spawn.

Hope that is satisfactory!

Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:41:30 pm »
(click to show/hide)

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,30346.0.html

I posted this in the technical problems thread, it hasn't been responded to. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln