Author Topic: Crossbow or Bow for a ranged character?  (Read 9996 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow or Bow for a ranged character?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
You said the combat is a joke (Clearly referring to melee) and that playing without a shield which only needs to right click to block every direction is easier. (Yes it's easier to having no protection from ranged, having 4 blocking directions and fighting vs people that can feint and chamber instead of bots.)

Clearly I didn't misread anything.

Well, it is harder to time with a shield, one handed weapons are much more shorter and do less damage. Also shorter weapon forces the player to go with low armor. Not to mention it costs around 5 extra skill points to the shield skill. For a noob, it is much more easier to grab a two handed greatsword, wear heavy armor and spam. Which is a good strategy against 70% of players considering you can survive much more hits.

As for the ranged debate, don't go for a ranged until 7th gen (mw ammo and mw bow/xbow). Of course you can try throwing.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »
Xbows are more accurate. Quite hard with beginner ranged charcters to play Archery imo.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52:18 pm »
Well, it is harder to time with a shield, one handed weapons are much more shorter and do less damage. Also shorter weapon forces the player to go with low armor. Not to mention it costs around 5 extra skill points to the shield skill. For a noob, it is much more easier to grab a two handed greatsword, wear heavy armor and spam. Which is a good strategy against 70% of players considering you can survive much more hits.

As for the ranged debate, don't go for a ranged until 7th gen (mw ammo and mw bow/xbow). Of course you can try throwing.

7 gen? what is that...

Not gonna wait a hundred hours to play something. I have a life.

I'm not trying to rule the world or be super powerful...just to mess around and have fun.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:54:17 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:53 pm »
Edited the post to be more clear.

But no you most probably can't get the same damage of an arbalest (Which can 1 hit kill or 80-90% damage) else bows would be very OP since they can shoot fast and don't need to stop for like 10 seconds to reload.

Still you CAN use a build that deals high damage with bows and people can certainly help you in that tough I fear you won't be satisfied with the damage if you intend on being a horse archer (Since being horse archer you obviously need riding and the Horse Archery skills learned with the latter the higher the better since you get an accuracy nerf when using a bow/crossbow on a horse.).

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »
Edited the post to be more clear.

But no you most probably can't get the same damage of an arbalest (Which can 1 hit kill or 80-90% damage) else bows would be very OP since they can shoot fast and don't need to stop for like 10 seconds to reload.

Still you CAN use a build that deals high damage with bows and people can certainly help you in that tough I fear you won't be satisfied with the damage if you intend on being a horse archer (Since being horse archer you obviously need riding and the Horse Archery skills learned with the latter the higher the better since you get an accuracy nerf when using a bow/crossbow on a horse.).

Nah, I'll just take your advice and run like a my old friend.
Hello

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:01 am »
And the combat system is garbage, it always has been.

Ok... I basically stopped reading after this... which I know means I'll be unhelpful with your actual question (forgive me).  And maybe you, or someone else, already covered/cleared this up... but I'm going to comment anyways!

I first bought and played M&B about 4 years ago... back when it was in Beta (I think around v.5 something).  I was immediately amazing at the combat system.  You actually hit folks.  You actually feel like you are purposely swinging the weapon.  I was amazed that it took some independent game company (basically one guy, forget the creators name) to make such a game.

Now here it is 4 years later... and I'm amazed there's still no companies making a game with such combat.  I actual started enjoying The Elder Scroll games less because their combat was not up to par with M&B (not knocking these great games... great RPG games!).

I personally think that the combat system of M&B is in a league of it's own.  Name some games that have combat that is as realistic as this.  Not that it's perfect... but there's nothing out like it.  Nothing from all those big-wig greedy-as-fuck companies that highly market all these shit games they cram out.  Don't get me wrong... I think by now (4 years later) that one of those super-rich, mega game-publishing companies should have improved on it... and but out the best game ever.  But they haven't.  They put out shit.  And M&B still reigns!

Not to mention just how creative this game was when it first came on the scene (years ago now).  That's really a moot point... but still should be mentioned.

Anyways, I hope you get the info you need from other folks.  Just HAD to rant/rage about your comment.  I don't get it!

And please, share your side of the story.  If there is a game with truly better (more realistic) melee combat than M&B... please, please tell me!  I'd love to play!  It'd have to be amazing!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:02:14 am by Mallets »