Author Topic: Slow'em down  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Slow'em down
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »
InHumanetie, the speed of the horse is unbalanced in comparison to ranged speed. Of course, you could simply add 9 to the shoot speed of all bows and resolve that issue. Shall I make a different suggestion called Speed'em up for bows instead? How many of you who agree that a horse should not be faster than a bow would prefer to speed up the arrows instead?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »
InHumanetie, the speed of the horse is unbalanced in comparison to ranged speed. Of course, you could simply add 9 to the shoot speed of all bows and resolve that issue. Shall I make a different suggestion called Speed'em up for bows instead? How many of you who agree that a horse should not be faster than a bow would prefer to speed up the arrows instead?

This. We can always decrease the base damage to cancel out the speed increase for total damage purposes for arrows.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:24 am »
You kill horses in 1 shot? Courser can take 4 arrows at PD 9 125 WPF with Fine Strong Bow.  I didn't say I couldn't shoot a horse, but it does no good to shoot the horse. It won't die, it won't interrupt and you WILL get a lance to the face and die. So you put 1 arrow into the horse, it doesn't slow down one bit. By time you switch to melee after shooting that arrow, the courser has already run you over.

It's called teammates, or do you really really want the archer to be the solo ninja which can kill everything even on perfectly flat ground? In that case, wtf.

Anyway, pull out a pike, stab, done. Or alternatively shoot the rider up close, interrupts his attack. Attacking a aware archer with a courser is close to impossible, and a waste of a horse. I don't know what your problem is exactly.

You also have ignored my point that no horse should be able to run faster than a bow can shoot.  :lol:

I suggest you test it.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 04:21:10 am »
Geez Bruce, I had no idea that killing a horse was the same as killing a player  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »
Geez Bruce, I had no idea that killing a horse was the same as killing a player  :rolleyes:

Virtually. Just aim up a bit with your pike and kill both the horse and the riding in 1 poke.

If you just kill the horsie, the rider will get killed fairly fast by you or your teammates. Just kill the horsie close to you and headshot the rider when he's on the ground.

Take a look on the battleservers. It happens all the time.
When I play cav, I either die by arrows, lances from other cav or I get killed in the first few seconds after being dehorsed. Most of the time without being able to block.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 05:31:32 pm »
Aye, the best way for an organized battleline to turn into a chaotic lynch mob in a heartbeat? Just dehorse a rider nearby, teammates will practically trample one another to get at the poor soul.

I know I am guilty of quickly readjusting aim to the prone rider if I already have an arrow ready and I am an archer, it is just too tempting of a target no matter what class you are playing.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »
Aye, the best way for an organized battleline to turn into a chaotic lynch mob in a heartbeat? Just dehorse a rider nearby, teammates will practically trample one another to get at the poor soul.

*lol* - exactly. If I am on siege as attacker and one of them is marauding in our spawn area, I forget about everything else, incl. flag, and go ponyhunting. And usually I am not the only one... ;-)

BTW, about 'dem horsies being difficult to shoot: I am a really "mediocre" archer (hybrid build, just around 130 in archery), I am a semi-n00b, AND I have to deal with constantly 200+ ping, so I have to shoot roughly 1/3 of a second into the future.

And today alone I got 4 of the trampling beasts, one headshot, two others were already scratched by someone else and fell with one arrow, one needed two... naaa - they are ok as they are. And when I get slain by one of the ponyriders (happens a lot since I am a lot in tunnelview) - hey, they shall have some fun, too ;-)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 01:22:12 am »
It's called teammates, or do you really really want the archer to be the solo ninja which can kill everything even on perfectly flat ground? In that case, wtf.

No, but conversely you seem to think that cavalry should be the solo field ninja's that can outrun arrows and kill anyone with 1 hit, and you also act as though killing a horse is the same as killing a player. It's not. It's like making a thrower run out of javelins.
You act like solo horse riders have some kind of Divine Right to being able to be able to attack a group of 4 players at speed, get a 1 hit kill on one of them and just gallop off whistling dixie. They do it all the time and a single arrow hit in a 7 second time frame just ain't going to cut it.
Trust me, game balance is the cavalry charges in, maybe gets his 1 hit kill, but then LOSES his horse and yes, gets forced to melee.

Horse speed wasn't nerfed. Everything else was, including time it takes to switch out weapons. Either reduce the horse speed and achieve game balance, or increase the bow speed to be faster than a courser, decrease the draw time for bows, and reduce the time it takes to switch weapons to be balanced with the horses speed.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:24 am »
You act like solo horse riders have some kind of Divine Right to being able to be able to attack a group of 4 players at speed, get a 1 hit kill on one of them and just gallop off whistling dixie. They do it all the time and a single arrow hit in a 7 second time frame just ain't going to cut it.

BS. First, it's a courser. It can very well die in one arrow shot in the face, one crossbow shot in the body if it's charging, or one throwing projectile, as well as get stopped and killed by a surprise pike from the ass, or outright killed from it. Hell, a aware onehander can one-hit kill a lancer's horse and then overhead the lancer on the floor for bonus style points. Charging 4 aware people is a ticket to suicide. Try it before you speak such nonsense.

Trust me, game balance is the cavalry charges in, maybe gets his 1 hit kill, but then LOSES his horse and yes, gets forced to melee.

What happens if the people are trying to kill your horse. Except, it's more like, charge in, get 0 kills, lose horse, lose half hp or full hp on ground, then try to melee. That is when you charge people with a clue and are watching. Yes, when nobody is watching and nobody cares to turn you can charge a group of 20 people, kill one or two and get away with it. Sometimes people seem to play as if they were all autorunning to the combat zone. Sometimes such a maneuver gets your horse surprise-onehit in midst of a gang, which is basically just as dead as being instakilled outright.

Horse speed wasn't nerfed. Everything else was, including time it takes to switch out weapons.

No, it wasn't. You can still pull a magic pike from your ass when a horse (a courser with riding 5) is 20m away then stab and spin it while stabbing and stab the horse with the shaft of the pike and it will rear the horse.

Either reduce the horse speed and achieve game balance, or increase the bow speed to be faster than a courser, decrease the draw time for bows, and reduce the time it takes to switch weapons to be balanced with the horses speed.

You can already switch weapons when a horse is 20m away. Just switch and start stabbing. Duh. And really, if you think horses are faster then arrows in the game, you're beyond help.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:55:57 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".