Author Topic: Animations retested  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
Re: Animations retested
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
Guess it is pointless to share that the world actually isn't flat.

p.s. I didn't say anything got changed recently at all. It just hasn't been tested for a long long time.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:36 pm »
Most animations are identical to Native ones and haven't been changed, so either the guy who did the Native measurements is wrong or you're wrong.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »
Most animations are identical to Native ones and haven't been changed, so either the guy who did the Native measurements is wrong or you're wrong.

1. Go to a server.
2. Equip a 2h polearm.
3. Ask someone to stand still or you will ban him for life.
4. Ask him to hold an overhead defense up.
5. Swing overhead and make sure you aim for the head.
6. Slowly move forward until his block works.
7. Now try stabing him.
8. Scratch your head a bit.
9. Post your test here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:49:47 pm by Arkonor »

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »
I use the long awlpike a bunch, and I can confirm that the overhead is way longer than the stab, there are several factors for this. One is that the detection for the tip of a weapon when stabbing is all screwed up, you can poke at someone and see the tip go in, but they will not be hit whereas if you hit them with the tip of your spear using an overhead it does get detected. The second seems to be some weird thing with the arm/head hitbox, they feel more far forward than the body/legs.

I dont know if momentum bonus has something to do with the stab; if you poke someone and twist, then the same animation that showed the tip hiting someone and doing nothing will sometimes hit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:50:28 pm by Nasturtium »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »
The second seems to be some weird thing with the arm/head hitbox, they feel more far forward than the body/legs.

While I totally disagree with the test results here (Seriously, go grab a bec and tell me you have about the same reach as a Nodachi on ANY swing. No tests needed to show how off these results are), Nasturtium seems to be onto something with this. If I'm chasing someone down with the pike, I always aim for the legs, because I can hit them at closer range than I can the head, which is what I normally aim for in a fight.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:41 pm »
- StabbingHobo testing reach when a dummy is hit
- Arkonob testing reach when an attack is blocked

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:45 pm »

Actually no. Used hit. But for your information you only block when it hits anyways.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 11:10:36 pm »
It seems however that people at c-rpg seem they all know it better then the next guy.
I guess if I want to show something I need to make a youtube video of the whole test process.
Not sure if I will though since the tests were done for myself and figured I share the results.
This will be my last post here at least.

Dismiss it. Test it. In the end it doesn't matter the game is still the same it was yesterday.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:29 pm »
I tested it several times. 1h right swing has a greater reach than 1h overhead.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:34 pm »
I tested it several times. 1h right swing has a greater reach than 1h overhead.

I don't know what he messed up in his testing, but the numbers are completely off. Anyone saying the bec's right swing has the same reach as the war cleaver's right swing has been smoking some serious shit.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:50 am »
+4
Thank you for your efforts, Arkonor. Here are some comments for you to consider:

A blocking target produces a temporary hitbox (it lasts for the duration the block is held and I don't know a better term, so I'll use that for now) at a position different than the target's normal hitbox. This can be seen most clearly with a thrust that barely reaches the temporary hitbox of a blocking target. If the target stops blocking and another thrust is made along an identical path, then that thrust will hit nothing. Presumably blocking works by generating a temporary hitbox that is between the normal hitbox of a blocking target and an attack traveling along a path that would otherwise reach the normal hitbox of the target. I would assume the different blocking directions produce temporary hitboxes at different locations relative to the attacker and target. I do not know how far forward and up the temporary hitbox for an up block is relative to a down block. Do you know far from the normal hitboxes these temporary hitboxes are located?

Also, aiming a thrust or side swing up or down decrease the horizontal distance the weapon will travel away from the attacker. For example, thrusts straight up into the air or straight into the ground travels no horizontal distance away. This is not the case for overhead attacks which do not have a dependence on the polar angle that the attacker is aimed at, so looking up or down does not effect the path a overhead attack swing with travel. I suspect that side swings also do not travel such that the maximum reach is constant (their tip does not follow a circular path.) Did you control your tests for this?

I suspect the above reasons are why Stabbing Hobo used a practice dummy as the target for all of his test and why he used an overhead attack as the reference for all other attacks.

This, more or less.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:28 am »

Funny thing neither is correct then. Should be tested on a non blocking player from different angles and with different "Turn into the swing" positions. (I suspect the 1h right swing gets longer if u turn into the swing i.ex) Thanks for your efforts Arkonor like walt said. These numbers have been used for so many arguments in the forums its kinda revolutionary info :)

Edit: Read that u did test on non blocking player..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:08:19 am by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 08:03:57 am »