Author Topic: Things to be changed in cRPG  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Things to be changed in cRPG
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 11:51:48 am »
True for both :mrgreen:

The stuff that not actually nerfs everything but the classes you play i agree with like curved weapons but there is no real solution for that.

Not possible to move the skin of the model so it hits in the middle of the scimitar curve?

Code: [Select]

|    ;;;
     | ;;
    ;|
  ;  |
 ;   |
:    |

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:01:17 pm by Vibe »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:59 pm »
+1
Nice list of changes in the OP

On crossbows though I think a few things need to be looked at, and it needs to be looked at from a neutral position

First off looms..+4 damage, +3 accuracy, +4 missile speed . Bolts..+5 damage .+9 piercing damage on a weapon that could 1 shot regardless, and easier shots. This is dumb imo for a competitive game like M&B. Should be lower bonuses for looms first of all, and brought more in line with melee weapon looms.

Second, ranged piercing damage should come at a premium imo. It should come because you did something decent ingame, not point and click with fast projectiles. The ranged mechanics in the game are awful without stuff like slow projectiles (leading the target and allowing for flight time by aiming higher).  1 shot easymode kills are one of the worst things about cRPG. So if its going to be piercing I think the projectiles should be harder to land. The damage is already way too high and requires zero build adjustments from melee mode, just dump some points into crossbow WPF. Even with 0 wpf you regularly see people picking up a crossbow and killing.

M&B to me is about player vs player. Not standing miles away from the action pew pewing until you hit something

This goes for archers too. Piercing damage from ranged is a bit OTT, and the stun on hit that comes regardless of damage could also be adjusted. I would be tempted to take the stun out completely, would be better for team hits too
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 12:52:09 am »
accuracy points are given to prevent crossbows loosing accuracy because of damage (4 damage ~ -1 accuracy). You should also remember that nothing affects the damage of the crossbow, unlike other weapons. Have a look, i.e. danish greatsword (top tier 2h) with 40 cut damage gets +3 damage on mw (that's 7.5% of the base damage). Plus you should count bonuses from PS which are very significant (8% each) so in the end Masterwork arbalest gets less worthy bonus than a danish greatsword.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »
The damage is still very high regardless of looms or lack of "powerstrike" type skill. You are also not put at any real disadvantage in melee for that high ranged damage and can also take a nice 2 hander. Mace is super powerful for 1 slot, 99 speed, 33 blunt and free knockdowns. The crossbow class is just an anomaly in cRPG to me. Its not really a class on its own like Archer or Cav or 2 hand, its a hybrid with easiest range and good melee.

Ranged piercing, 1 or 2 hit kills, point and click..its just got no place in M&B to me, unless it has some kind of balancing involved like a crossbow skill. Dumping some points into crossbow wpf is nothing really. You might have a bit lower PS or lower 2 hander but its not really balanced like its a unique class. You don't even need that many points in crossbow as you see people with 0 wpf pick them up and kill
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:19:03 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Morty

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:28 am »
6) Crossbows should be rebalanced.
a) The missile speed of all crossbows except Arbalest should be buffed
b) Arbalest needs +1 accuracy. Nowadays it has the same accuracy as a Heavy Crossbow (due to damage dissynchronization. 4 points of damage are equal of -1 accuracy)
c) Make 2slot crossbows a bit more expensive (like +500 of gold)
d) Nerf the damage of Heavy Crossbow slightly (like -2 of damage)

e) Make it impossible to use crossbows (except Hunting Crossbow) without wpf
f) 1 slot and 2 slot crossbows should have different animations (light crossbows should be reloaded in the same way like on horseback and different animations will fix a delay bug: it takes way too much time to start shooting)
g) Arbalest and Heavy Crossbow should have different models

I am a dedicated crossbowman for more than 10 character generations now.

I can wholeheartedly agree with E. The crossbow doesn't stand alone as a skill that requires investment and it's quite ridiculous when you can build a character with 15 STR, wear a bunch of heavy armor, and successfully use ANY crossbow. In order to USE a crossbow you should need to wear leather gloves or no gloves and in order to have ANY accuracy that's somewhat reliable you should need WPF significant enough to mitigate a very hefty penalty for wearing head armor. I leave the actual math up to the devs but suffice to say please try to imagine aiming and operating a crossbow while wearing lobster gauntlets and a sugarloaf helm -- it's a laughable concept and not at all funny that it still works in todays CRPG just because the character has the strength to operate the crossbow.

P.S. -- the same goes for archery. Pulling a tensioned bowstring while wearing any hand armor beyond a glove and aiming a while wearing head armor should be so difficult it's not worth trying. You will then see a major distinction in the equipment being used by ranged classes. Range is the advantage and armor needs to be left for melee builds.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:12:00 am by Morty »

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Vakarian, GK_Garrus, Puncinella, GK_DrZoidberg
  • IRC nick: Garrus
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 05:07:24 am »
What if the angle of the lancer decreases as the horse goes faster?
And if the horse is not moving, then he can reach in wider range.