Should Throwing Lances be removed?

Yes
92 (41.8%)
Severely nerfed
53 (24.1%)
No
75 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Remove Throwing Lances  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Throwing Lances
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2011, 08:57:28 am »
update on the accusation that 50% speed bonus is not achievable. Played single player again. With 0 athletics, first strike on an opponent yielded a 45% bonus. Several fights later, my high speed bonus was 56%, the low was -92%, the median was 26%, and the mode was 26%
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:59 am »
update on the accusation that 50% speed bonus is not achievable. Played single player again. With 0 athletics, first strike on an opponent yielded a 45% bonus. Several fights later, my high speed bonus was 56%, the low was -92%, the median was 26%, and the mode was 26%
Wow. I must be doing something wrong. I have 4 athletics on my character and I really don't get more than a 20% speed bonus without doing things like jumping.

It's only on thrusts that I can consistently get above 20% speed bonus.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:23:52 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:11 am »
The AI has a tendency to face-hug, which kills your speed bonus. Start your swing much earlier than you expect it to hit and just tip them with your weapon. Its easier to land a solid speed bonus on a human than it is the a.i.

I'll do a more complete chart some other time. Above 60% speed bonus doesn't seem possible with 0 athletics from my tests so far, but 50% is achievable on an ideal swing.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:24 am »
The AI has a tendency to face-hug, which kills your speed bonus. Start your swing much earlier than you expect it to hit and just tip them with your weapon. Its easier to land a solid speed bonus on a human than it is the a.i.
Yeah I started noticing the face hugging. Also, with the AI set to poor they do a lot of back pedaling which screws with the speed bonus as well. I pretty much always swing early and hit them with the tip. When fighting the AI on the "good" difficulty, they seem to always try to get the first attack in. Their release timing is poor so if you tip them, they never block and you can just steam roll the entire arena without getting hit, which is what I have been doing. I manage to get 30-60% speed modifiers on thrusts but anything else, (especially overheads) net a much smaller bonus for me.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »
Yeah I started noticing the face hugging. Also, with the AI set to poor they do a lot of back pedaling which screws with the speed bonus as well. I pretty much always swing early and hit them with the tip. When fighting the AI on the "good" difficulty, they seem to always try to get the first attack in. Their release timing is poor so if you tip them, they never block and you can just steam roll the entire arena without getting hit, which is what I have been doing. I manage to get 30-60% speed modifiers on thrusts but anything else, (especially overheads) net a much smaller bonus for me.

You need to understand how the physics work to get the higher speed modifier. On a thrust, yes, you simply charge towards someone. To get a speed bonus on an overhead, you'd most likely want to be falling from a jump. On a right-swing, you'd want to be strafing left as you make contact. Opposite for a left-swing. Charging straight ahead is not the appropriate behavior to get maximum speed bonuses on opponents, for anything other than a thrust.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
Is it possible to have 150 WPF while having 10 PD?

No, at level 30 you can achieve a little over 130-ish with 10PD due to the conversions. You might be able to squeeze a couple more points, but this is assuming 30 STR and 12 AGIL. At 30 STR and 9 Agil you will have exactly 130 wpf. Note, I am saying this from actually doing it, I assume the character creator/planner tool agrees with me.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:04 am »
Regarding your damage formula, since some people may miss it in the other thread:

Your damage formular seems to be pretty wrong. Didn't even get to the armor part because the facepalm blinded me.

So unless the correct formula is released, there is no reason to try to o the math.