Author Topic: Star Trek Online going FTP  (Read 1056 times)

Offline hamiler

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ham
  • IRC nick: Hamiler
Star Trek Online going FTP
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbxXX7-RPuw

real gameplay whos going to try it when it goes FTP?

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
Re: Star Trek Online going FTP
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:25 pm »
I already have the dvd so why not.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
The ship combat and even ground combat werent that bad, myself a few NH guys actually enjoyed it for a month or two, however the extreme instancing and lack of any DEPTH or permanence means the game is only a novelty.  Where is the galactic war between diametrically oppossed factions?

Shame on Cryptic for boiling down one of the most complex & interesting universes into some shitty little kids game.  I will never buy a Cryptic game again in my lifetime.  They have a now very well earned rep for putting out pretty but lifeless & hallow shell excuse for a game.

If you are looking for some real PVP or RvR with strategy and tactics, give Pirates of the Burning Sea a try.  Its actually one of the best & modest F2P games there.  Dev studio are great guys and listen to fan base.  The game is basically like Strategus, you have to attack a port in order to 'flip' it and able to attend the port battle for control of it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:34:59 pm by Digglez »

Offline hamiler

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:40:44 pm »
Well only real reason i would play a mmo is b/c its star trek  :D

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:19 pm »
This was shitty when it was released. Bought the dvd and it says 1month subscription included. Thought I'd give it a try. Install and it wont allow me in game untill I buy at least 2 months for it.  :twisted: Ok bought it then and I had done everything worth doing in 1 month. So that 2 months was not necessary.
Space combat without having the ability to actually turn around or move directly up or down is for retards. I'm bit of a tard so I might try it again if it's truly free.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:31:45 am »
Who would've thought....

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »
If you are looking for some real PVP or RvR with strategy and tactics, give Pirates of the Burning Sea a try.  Its actually one of the best & modest F2P games there.  Dev studio are great guys and listen to fan base.  The game is basically like Strategus, you have to attack a port in order to 'flip' it and able to attend the port battle for control of it.

^^ Double what he said.
PotBS is a great game that I unfortunately don't have time to play. =/  It's alot like a 1600-1700's lighter version of Eve.  They put alot of thought and effort into the wooden ship building and way the economy of the ports work, etc.  The naval battles are nothing short of awesome, and you can even grapple and board other people's ships to take them in hand-to-hand combat.  The melee is sub-par, but for a game that focuses on wooden naval fleet combat, it's tolerable.

I'm guessing the population came back after Sony's login launchpad went down for a month or so, I never went back after that myself so I don't know.  But definitely hope that game keeps going - it's a good one.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »
cryptic is also developing the next neverwinter game, its gonna be dumbed down as fuck.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:09 am »
I second Pirates of the Burning Sea if you want to try a free to play but high quality MMOG.  The avatar combat in that game is pretty silly but the main focus is ship combat anyway, and the ship combat is good with a highly tactical feel that I think a lot of CRPG people could appreciate.  It's especially clan friendly as most battles are group vs group.  There's a map with world takeover as the ultimate objective.

Star Trek Online wasn't a terrible game, but it just had no depth, no story and no war.  It's a very Cryptic game -- another game off of the assembly line, meant to last just long enough to get them to their next game, which will be another game off the assembly line.  That's their business model and has been since their first release.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline hamiler

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:44:09 am »
The ship combat and even ground combat werent that bad, myself a few NH guys actually enjoyed it for a month or two, however the extreme instancing and lack of any DEPTH or permanence means the game is only a novelty.  Where is the galactic war between diametrically oppossed factions?

Shame on Cryptic for boiling down one of the most complex & interesting universes into some shitty little kids game.  I will never buy a Cryptic game again in my lifetime.  They have a now very well earned rep for putting out pretty but lifeless & hallow shell excuse for a game.

awsome game Pirates of the Burning Sea thank you
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:50:23 am by hamiler »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:31:48 am »
I would try PotBS but I just can't find the time to try new MMOs. The game sounds great however.