Poll

Make archers physically unable to run around like fags until the end of the map or until you stop chasing when they resume shooting?

Yes
21 (36.8%)
I'm an archer
36 (63.2%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Stop the archer running BS  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
Re: Stop the archer running BS
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:16 am »
My stats say I'm a pure archer but that's only because I don't mind swinging a sword around with 1 wpf.  Against equally skilled opponents who are melee oriented I think I stand a decent chance against them everytime because I tend to shoot and then run toward the melee, then shoot again until I'm close enough to stab things.  This gives me lots of melee practice.  Am I a brave archer for stepping into the fight?  No, I consider myself a coward.

Archers with balls are pure and play without melee weapons.  If someone sneaks up to them, they're fucked and they know it.  They do weak damage and can probably do more if they just grabbed something off the ground but it's a dedicated playstyle.  The best example I can think of is Goretooth.  He wears no armor, isn't particularly fast (maybe 5 athletics at the most) and still manages to top the leaderboards playing like this. 

Sure they run, but if they intend to fight back I see nothing wrong with what they're doing.  If they're the last one left they're probably going to lose due to a glaringly obvious weakness, and it's not like they're wasting any more time than watching the last two shielders slowly high fiving each other to death.  As someone has mentioned, if you want them to slow down throw something on their back.  With the thrower spammage people complain about these days there should be a snowflake somewhere on the ground or something.

Now archers who camp in unreachable locations are indeed annoying but you don't really need to be an archer to do that.
-idlewind

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 09:19:17 am »
shit thread. Are they handing out soothers?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Franklin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boomshanka
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:09 am »
shit thread. Are they handing out soothers?

+1

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
1. running is valid, if you are too slow, stop hunting weaker targets and beat up some decent turtles. BTW the reason our archers have to run sometimes is because the meleetists are ego-tripping instead of one or two of them protecting their archers. Oh, I sometimes forget this game is not about strategy... lol

2. strategy that works only sometimes for me because of my freaking high ping, but could be  worthy for more agile archers with better ping: stay cool - let the joker run up to you, then when he opens up to hack you to pieces headshot him at 2 meters right in the face. They are not used to that and it is quite effective ;-) And very satisfying, lol.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:42:08 pm by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »
No, what i find even more annoying is the new trend among melee players who alck the skill to manual block.  They will run away for 10-20 seconds then ready a swing wihtout your ability to see the direction and thereby plan a block and then turn after initiating the attack, hit you once, then run away for another 10-20 seconds and repeat.  rather boring to fight and watch.  Just started trailing by an extra few feet so they miss when they turn and swing, but they still keep up this lame running melee fight for minutes at a time so they don't have to try and manual block.  Its actually becoming rather common among dedicated melee fighters, and seems one of the main strategies for many thrust and overhead only polearm users.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo