Author Topic: The matrix says...how to know whether duel is balanced!  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
Re: The matrix says...how to know whether duel is balanced!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:28 am »
imo Polearms are better for big battles, 2h's are better for duelling
I have to agree, as an avid plolearm user I find myself doing much more for the team cav-hunting/poking than trying to engage in a series of one-on-one battles. While I can still duel effectively one-on-one on the duel server I loose most of my combat capability if I have to fight the same person in a battle without support. IMO the bonus given to 2h's by the animations is fair given the stun of plolearms, now if that stun went away...  :oops:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:40 am »
I think you should spend less time thinking over item balance and spend more time dueling.

The way I see it you're just looking for an excuse because you suck at dueling.

This.

Lanicor, uses a high damage (blunt) weapon with knockdown (he will keep attacking even when opp. is on the ground) and asks for balance....and a fair duel xD.

You get stomped by swords and cry, you win against a spiked mace and cheer yourself.... hahaha.

Why didnt you take the chance to ask Nubert how to use a poleaxe?
He definetly knows how to!
Do a matrix of your common mistakes and keep it for yourself. Thx.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:40 am »
Not to mention you have an incredible (20 at max) ping.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:49 am »
From my point of view almost all weapons are good in duels. Even 1h without shield are on par with polearms and 2h imo. They have all advantages and disadvantages.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:32 pm »
From my point of view almost all weapons are good in duels. Even 1h without shield are on par with polearms and 2h imo. They have all advantages and disadvantages.

Except unbalanced weapons, since they can't counter-attack after blocking (or at least not fast enough to avoid getting struck again). This means anyone with half a brain can dominate an unbalance weapon user in a duel, just by facehugging them and mashing the attack button.

No one told me this until I had heirloomed my Great Long Bardiche twice. Now I might as well just stubbornly stick with it, continuing to lose 1v1s to archers with 0-slot weapons and 1 wpf.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:05:57 pm by Phew »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:50 pm »

Yes, but 1h no shield is alot harder to do well with. You need far beter blocking, positioning and timing, to compensate for the low range and damage.

Except unbalanced weapons, since they can't counter-attack after blocking (or at least not fast enough to avoid getting struck again). This means anyone with half a brain can dominate an unbalance weapon user in a duel, just by facehugging them and mashing the attack button.

No one told me this until I had heirloomed my Great Long Bardiche twice. Now I might as well just stubbornly stick with it, continuing to lose 1v1s to archers with 0-slot weapons and 1 wpf.

Even with a slow unbalanced weapon you can get hits in, if you time and position them properly.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »
Yes, but 1h no shield is alot harder to do well with. You need far beter blocking, positioning and timing, to compensate for the low range and damage.

In my earlier Gen I had 130 wpf 1h and 80 wpf polearm.

In 1 vs. 1 duels it was easier for me to win with a polearm because of range. I am not saying vMega is wrong in any way, just that in order to do good as a 1h no shield against a two-hander you often have to make 2-3 good blocks to get in range.

With the polearm you have the range advantage or similar range.

Most often the opponent dueler is equally good as positioning and know that the one-hander should not get too close.

How ever, the more beastly your blocking skills the less advantage the two-hander has over the 1h hander.
Overhead polearm attacks still has a grusome stun...
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »
I think you should spend less time thinking over item balance and spend more time dueling.

The way I see it you're just looking for an excuse because you suck at dueling.
Perfect reasoning. :mad:
You should stop offend Lanic0r and start to tell him why he is wrong. Everything else would be brainless trolling.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 04:10:01 pm »
Well I'm no master duelist.
Perhaps he should stop arguing with Phyrex and ask him for directions instead?

But either way you can't help a man who doesn't believe it's his problem, not the items.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:11:51 pm by Vibe »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 04:13:32 pm »

I must say that my 33str/3agi build, when coupled with gmaul (even if I prefer GS) can easily dominate any opponent (even spammers) when appropriate footwork and blocks are used. You need only ONE error from your opponent to one-shot him or throw in on the ground-finish him. And you can sustain a few good swings yourself before going down.

Fact is, like Paul said every weapons are cool if properly used.
Only difference is in every person's view about them.