Author Topic: Linearity in item choice  (Read 834 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Linearity in item choice
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »
+7
When looking at the shop in cRPG the different items are very logically ordered. Generally a higher price means its stronger overall. In the case of armor for a higher price you get more weight and more protection. Now I was thinking less linearity in item choice would make the game more interesting overall.

For example, wouldn't it be cool if you could get a mid tier armor, with very low weight, but a very high price. For those that like low wpf decrease and high speed and are willing to pay for that

Or a very ugly plate armor that gives you high protection for a low price, but with very high weight. For the cheap ass tincans out there.

Or maybe even a huge increase in price and speed for swords compared to pole mounted weapons and axes. Historically swords were really expensive but were very balanced.

I think you get the idea. The above arent the suggestions, the suggestion is decreasing the linearity in item choices for the player, giving them more freedom.

Discuss!

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Linearity in item choice
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
+1
(Thesis statement).

For example, wouldn't it be cool if you could get a mid tier armor, with very low weight, but a very high price. For those that like low wpf decrease and high speed and are willing to pay for that

(Sure, but there would have to be a very good incentive beyond being just mid-tier armor: are you thinking around 35-40 BA?)

Or a very ugly plate armor that gives you high protection for a low price, but with very high weight. For the cheap ass tincans out there.

(How much heavier, and what kind of penalty are we looking at here?  Will the armor, also, be comparable with Milanese Plate, or some lower tier plate?)

Or maybe even a huge increase in price and speed for swords compared to pole mounted weapons and axes. Historically swords were really expensive but were very balanced.

(Don't heirlooms already balance, or are you talking about more than just +1 speed?)

(Conclusion: A+)
Discuss!

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:02 pm »
I suggested this before..

Everything is very linear atm :P

Would be interesting if they played a bit more with the weigh/price/armor on things. Would be harder to choose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »
(Sure, but there would have to be a very good incentive beyond being just mid-tier armor: are you thinking around 35-40 BA?)
The incentive is that you get lower weight than other mid tier armors. So you get a better protection/weight ratio for a worse protection/cost ratio. Thats my point, everything currently has the same protection/cost and protection/weight ratio, why not play around with that

(How much heavier, and what kind of penalty are we looking at here?  Will the armor, also, be comparable with Milanese Plate, or some lower tier plate?)
Same as above, only the other way around. Better protection/cost ratio for a worse protection/weight ratio

(Don't heirlooms already balance, or are you talking about more than just +1 speed?)
Just different roles for weapons. Axes and polearms being cheap weapons for their respective stats, swords being more expensive but also with more speed. This would greatly imbalance the 2h/polearm balance, so this is not a good idea. But my point is creating different roles for certain items, and this is just an example.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:02:40 pm »
Ah I'm just going to bump this. Devs made all the expensive looking silk clothes 3k! Thats a start.

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »
It wud be also nice to have more color options to armors, many armor piece has cloth on it and it wud be cool if u could dye it! Same wud go with horses so u could change the color of saddle, this way everyone wouldn't look almost the same.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
It wud be also nice to have more color options to armors, many armor piece has cloth on it and it wud be cool if u could dye it! Same wud go with horses so u could change the color of saddle, this way everyone wouldn't look almost the same.

i would like to dye my horsey pink : /
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!