Author Topic: Kicking as a shielder...  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Kansuke

• Earl
  • Renown: 401
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Kansuke, LeRun
Re: Kicking as a shielder...
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 04:49:33 pm »
I think shielders can block while kicking, though they retain a movement speed slow from having their shield up.  Not very many places to use it though  :?

Shielders can't block while kicking.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »
When using a shield, kick should be replaced with shield bash. Same effect, different animation, but doesn't make you vulnerable.

Doesn't make you vulnerable? The thing with kick is that you risk taking a hit by possibly getting a free hit on your opponent. Making you invulnerable while performing such an attack would be very overpowered.

Conversely, kick should be changed to be less of an insta-death if it misses for everyone else. Make it faster with a faster recovery, and the ability to rotate while it's executing.

Faster, and with rotation? No, would make it overpowered. As of now, kick is a high risk - high reward move. If you add rotation and faster recovery it becomes low/no risk - high reward, and that ain't balanced for sure. :wink:

Btw, I'm a kick slasher, but I don't want it to be like in native in the old days, when it was overused and overpowered.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »
with shield the risk is bigger then reward

i trying to master it with my 2h and polearm user, still failing, but getting better even if i cant land kick, its easy perform right block, so risk is small

I am happy with this kick, when is something really hard to master or even use, not like op old kick

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »
Kicking was horrible in the early days of Warband, nerfing it was one of the few good things TW ever did. Why would you want that back?

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »
I like the current kick mechanics (it being also a somewhat risky move), but i'd definetly love to see shielders have a shieldbash animation instead of it =).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:04 pm »
When warband came out kick was much more useful. Any facehuging against advanced player was 100% that you will be kickslashed. For some reason kick was nerfed. Dont know, maybe it possible to return old kick with WSE?

Old kick was ridiculously OP. New kick is great. Very, very useful for 2handers/polearmers.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:32:45 pm »
Shielders can't block while kicking.

The animation shows they can... sorta.  It's a little tilted but it's there.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:07:28 am »
the animation may look like it but i've yet to block any attack mid kick with my shield "up", from any direction/angle.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:05 am »
1h/sh kickslash is more risk due to less range on weapon and slow/predictable shield animations(this last bit might be only be in my imagination though  :rolleyes:)

Having a special move for each class, fitting to those classes pros/cons and depending if those had been there in reality seems great, still it would need lots of work(modelling,scripting and balancing) i guess.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »
yea i get the benefits of using it, esp when in deadlocks against other shielders and thats why i've been tryin to implement it into my playstyle but so far the total vulnerability I have to expose myself to in order to use it just doesnt seem like a worthwhile tradeoff, like I see 2h/poles for example kick whilst blocking so even if they miss they are relatively safe whereas if I miss i'm going to take a hit more often than not.

It's the same risks as trying to chamber block. Its harder for me to kick than chamber currently and i am no master of that.

If you do land a kick on someone then it works really well. Same as if you land a chamber on someone and they're not expecting it.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »
Kicking is my bread and butter, I consider it like counting coup on my enemy. I will rarely try a risky kick, the only sure fire way to land one is this:

Baiting: after exchanging a blow or two, slowly back away in a straight line. If they follow you suddenly stop and kick, this way they walk right into it. I can't even count the number of times this has worked for me, even against folks who know what I am trying to do. 

A riskier kick is if you are fighting a slow enemy that is in fact too slow to chase you, after backing away slightly, lunge forward and swing, this will freeze them usually for a second, and since you can attack and kick before they counter attack, you are likely to catch them mid swing.  This worked great for me as a bardiche user, but is riskier as a sheilder.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:25:32 pm by Nasturtium »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:18 am »
It's the same risks as trying to chamber block. Its harder for me to kick than chamber currently and i am no master of that.

If you do land a kick on someone then it works really well. Same as if you land a chamber on someone and they're not expecting it.

Kicking as a shielder isn't the same risk at all as chambering. Chambering doesn't leave you defenseless.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bartlomiey

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • For fun I kill! For fun I die! For honour I Rape!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bartlomiey, Bratomir
  • IRC nick: Bartlomiey
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
Shield Bash FTW.

I am a Historical Reconstructor and i know that, in real life you can block during kicking...

Shield Bash would be nice in-game. It can also do some dmg bassed on shield that you use. (like 5-10blunt).