17 (12.6%)
Buff cut damage armor penetration slightly
42 (31.1%)
Buff weapon stats and armor penetration slightly
9 (6.7%)
Buff weapon stats and/or armor penetration greatly
8 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Cut Damage Tweak?  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
Re: Cut Damage Tweak?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 02:35:41 am »
Please raise the base damage of my MW Military Cleaver to at least 40C. Thank you.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:22 am »
"conversion of cut to a reduced blunt damage vs. metal plate armor"

I like this idea, although the line between what armors convert to blunt damage and which ones don't might become arbitrary. Even then, it seems to be an improvement as it distinguishes solid metal plate armor from mesh armor (beyond simply an increased "armor value"), which is a functional distinction in reality.

You could also add that pierce attacks do increased damage against the "mesh" armors (Mail is decent protection vs. cut, but its give provides little protection against a piercing attack). If however, the game already simulates this adequately, then it is not worth changing.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
I like this idea, although the line between what armors convert to blunt damage and which ones don't might become arbitrary. Even then, it seems to be an improvement as it distinguishes solid metal plate armor from mesh armor (beyond simply an increased "armor value"), which is a functional distinction in reality.

You could also add that pierce attacks do increased damage against the "mesh" armors (Mail is decent protection vs. cut, but its give provides little protection against a piercing attack). If however, the game already simulates this adequately, then it is not worth changing.

I agree, with what your saying (especially about pierce weapons too, and if the math already simulates this, then there would be no need to change.)  But I dont think it does simulate this currently...

You could also make 'chances' to hit the chain in between the plate pieces... Like 25% on transitional 10% on the milanese etc...

Which brings me to another point  - doing the same thing for other armor types, and damage types...

So for mesh, you could make the -cut modifier like -4 or something, and chain -3...

And for pierce and blunt? well, they are better for damage for heavier armor, but they have thier limitations as well... Maybe -3 for pierce and blunt against plate, -2 for pierce -1 for blunt against mesh, and -0 against chain and below for pierce and blunt,  unless you hit that 25% vs transitional or 10% versus full plate, where again, these damage types would do full damage/chain mail modifier damage (simulating hitting the chain between the plate pieces) against the plate.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:12:03 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:02 am »
You could also make 'chances' to hit the chain in between the plate pieces... Like 25% on transitional 10% on the milanese etc...

Hmm, this is not likely to happen and won't be popular if it is. Too much complexity for each armor model, and the people here don't like chance based mechanics, as a general rule.

Which brings me to another point  - doing the same thing for other armor types, and damage types...

So for mesh, you could make the -cut modifier like -4 or something, and chain -3...

Not a terrible idea... would the sound files remain the same?= (cut sound for a cutting weapon, or would it now be a blunt sound?)

And for pierce and blunt? well, they are better for damage for heavier armor, but they have thier limitations as well... Maybe -3 for pierce and blunt against plate, -2 for pierce -1 for blunt against mesh, and -0 against chain and below for pierce and blunt,  unless you hit that 25% vs transitional or 10% versus full plate, where again, these damage types would do full damage/chain mail modifier damage (simulating hitting the chain between the plate pieces) against the plate.

I definitely wouldn't mind trying such mechanics, but for practical reasons I don't believe they are feasible. The most feasible/acceptable part would be the cut to blunt conversion and damage reduction for at least plate armors.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:16 am »
Yeah, your probably right - I'm not talking practical here, just kinda thinking outloud.  also, perhaps the 'less armored'/chance say in the transitional, is already reflected in its lower armor rating, compared to say the milanese.

But I do think something like this could not only work, but it would have another affect....(besides historical accuracy/realism/a balancing point/etc.)

It would also increase the value of wearing the heavier armors, which, i think is slightly lacking in crpg...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:57:53 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38:16 am »
i like where you are coming from though its very viable vingnir
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
I appreciate that the ideas that are being brought up are interesting and on topic as far as "cut damage tweaking" goes, but I would prefer to keep this thread on focus with the ideas/suggestions listed in the vote and OP.  I think converting cut damage to blunt at a certain point would be much more long term and more challenging as far as changing things in WSE, whereas buffing weapon stats/penetration values for cut would be a much easier fix.

You're certainly welcome to make your own thread with that suggestion of course! :)
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345