Author Topic: Attempting to make working Siege Tower (Belfry)  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Attempting to make working Siege Tower (Belfry)
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
So I have been working on a map for the last day or so and have gotten past most issues I have had with the scene editor such as a ladder which was not functioning as expected, but have now come to something I cannot figure out. I have looked over all the posts I can find in regards to the placement of a siege tower (belfry) I followed the steps of placing the tower at the final location on the wall (I did so along with the ramp of the same belfry type in its end position, as well I placed 3 wheel axles under it). Following this I placed Entry Points along the route I wished the tower to follow and numbered them 110-119 I made sure they were not clipping with the ground as I found this made my ladder have issues). When I load the scene up the Belfry now shows up in the starting position but one of the wheel axles is no longer attached and up in the air nearby the tower, also I was unable to get the tower to move (unsure if this needs at least 2 players standing next to it if that is the case understand why it wont move then for now). So what exactly have I done incorrectly here? If beyond the entry points someone could explain how to use these properly and set them up it would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:29:40 am by Bjorn_Ironsides »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to make working Siege Tower (Belfry)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »
If you load the map, then fiddle with the siege tower when it's no longer in final position, you will screw things up. Happened to me several times. Just delete everything belfry-related, reload the map and redo everything in ONE GO. Don't save in between, only when you're finished. Then exit the map, reload, and all should be fine. If you later have to adjust the siege tower parts, make sure to push it to the wall completely first.

Same reason why ladders sometimes get wonky, btw. Oh, it's possible to push the belfry all alone, btw.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:19:21 pm by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:04:53 am »
Ok I made several attempts and before hand modified the ground so that it was flat and could produce less collision issues. I can now seem to get the Tower to spawn in the correct position and with the three wheel axles under the tower, the tower though still seems unable to move (wheels do not move ect). When I selected the tower to move it back to the wall the moment I moved it the ramp portion set off along the path I had laid out with the entrance points. Does the tower have to spawn in some kind of perfect contact with the ground (I have played maps where it seems the tower can just follow any random pathway) or are there components you cannot use (I used the b style which I see often in scenes).

What I would like to do is find a way to open a map that has already been created and get to see how things are placed in order to make it function (not by any means copy elements of design) is it possible to take a map I have downloaded through CRPG MP and open in through the editor is that possible?

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
+1
Ok I made several attempts and before hand modified the ground so that it was flat and could produce less collision issues. I can now seem to get the Tower to spawn in the correct position and with the three wheel axles under the tower, the tower though still seems unable to move (wheels do not move ect). When I selected the tower to move it back to the wall the moment I moved it the ramp portion set off along the path I had laid out with the entrance points.

This happens if you try to edit the position of the siege tower when it is in it's starting position, it effectively breaks the tower + entry points. Only edit the tower position once you have pushed it into its final resting place (the entry points handle its beginning position). If it ever stops working completely, delete all the tower parts and entry points and just start from the beginning - towers can be tricky. Also make sure the entry points are in the right order too, the highest number should be the final position - the lowest the starting position. Its a good idea to make sure you use all the entry points, don't try to only use only entry points 110-116 for the first tower, make sure that 110-119 are placed and in the right order.

Does the tower have to spawn in some kind of perfect contact with the ground (I have played maps where it seems the tower can just follow any random pathway) or are there components you cannot use (I used the b style which I see often in scenes).

By combining belfry_b, belfry_b_platform_a and belfry_wheel you can't go wrong really. Towers do try to stay in contact with the ground, which can make them do some very strange things if the ground they are supposed to pass over isn't completely flat, I think that the back of the tower tries to always touch the ground, if you ever want one to pass over a bridge or an object instead of the ground use barriers placed just under the surface of the object, works for me.

What I would like to do is find a way to open a map that has already been created and get to see how things are placed in order to make it function (not by any means copy elements of design) is it possible to take a map I have downloaded through CRPG MP and open in through the editor is that possible?

Sure just host a crpg server on your machine, load up the map you played by finding out either its blank_ number or if it uses its actaul name in the map list and enter edit mode. Alternatively you could do the same thing for an official crpg siege map by going through the quick scene chooser.

Hope this made sense.  :)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:30 pm »
Thank you Peasant_Woman for your reply I opened up one of the crpg scenes that had a tower and found that it was essentially setup the way I had been with mine, I also noticed something else when I ran a character up to the wheels they did not move. So do the towers not properly function while in the editor mode for the game (like do you need to have the map loaded via a proper server environment?) If that is the case then I am not having problems I guess just will have to cross my fingers and hope it works when live.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:19:45 am »
You can always test your map by replacing the sco file of a native map with the one of your map, and opening scenes.txt, finding the entry for the native map and replacing the terrain string at the end with your terrain string, then just hosting your own game and loading said native map.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bjorn_Ironsides

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:59:32 am »
Success but it was for a reason I had not even thought about before hand, I had not yet added to my map the entry points for attackers or defenders and was just always selecting the defender faction to spawn then editing away. I thought about it and it dawned on me that of course the defenders cannot move the tower so I spawned as an attacker (after adding the entry points) and bingo the tower began to move and worked perfectly. Thank you all for your help in trouble shooting this for me I now think I fully grasp how to make towers and test them lol.