Author Topic: STRATEGUS - mercs should bring their own equipment to battle  (Read 2687 times)

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
Re: STRATEGUS - mercs should bring their own equipment to battle
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 06:05:04 pm »
If I fight an army of the fallens, I want to fight an army of fallens. Not the usual costume party we get on the crpg servers. A few mercenaries that have to be close on the stratgus map to be able to bring their own stuff are fine, but if everyone is able to bring stuff, its the same as crpg with bannerbalance.

This.

Though I remember reading something like this idea, where you could use your cRPG gear in Strat battles, but only at great risk (of it being lost if you lose). Don't know if that was still planned.

I think it's not such a good idea - makes buying gear, which is a strategic function, and planning based on who you want to hire, a little bit pointless.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 07:35:08 pm »
dam your right, the amount of time between strategus battles actually happening, an entire faction could get near the battle and so bring their own gear
Just a soldier

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:39 pm »
dam your right, the amount of time between strategus battles actually happening, an entire faction could get near the battle and so bring their own gear

They will have to be well organized, but if they all go to the same point, then someone can attack them in an other point (strategical choice)

As you said Bane, at the start i remember that chadz gave the idea of bringing is own gear but if you lose the battle you could lose some gear (by the loot). and i agree with you Leiknir.

So this idea is possible but with some restriction :
- you must be next to the battle (very close, this is the most important rule, and it's more realistic)
- you are blocked until the end of the battle
- you have the risk to lose your gear if the battle is a defeat and/or you must pay upkeep
- more restriction : you can bring only one gear
- more restriction : you can use your gear the time you have tickets (the tickets you bring in the battle).

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
All the crafting/trading system would turn useless and we'll have the old strategus back.
Not really, since under either system I proposed, commanders still have to buy stuff for their soldiers--all except mercs.  I suppose the main thing is this--mercs are supposed to be just that, mercenaries, not your regular soldiers.  People should join factions for that, and this will help differentiate between faction members and just mercenaries.  And under my second suggestion:

Alternatively, have players buy their own stuff on strategus and use that equipment, not their cRPG stuff.
You'd still have to craft your own equipment; it just comes out of your pocket instead of the commanders.  This would actually help mercenaries and small clans who want to build up a few settlements and help fight with other factions.

On another note, I don't like the idea of having to be close to the battle to participate, unless its a very, very big range (like a quarter of the map).  It sounds nice, but I think it will be unfeasible in execution.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 09:50:14 pm »
On another note, I don't like the idea of having to be close to the battle to participate, unless its a very, very big range (like a quarter of the map).  It sounds nice, but I think it will be unfeasible in execution.
You can always represent a nameless soldier of my army (current strategus system) without being close.

But if f you want to be a mercenary in strategus, you need your mercenary equipment and tickets there, to use this stuff you need to get into range of the battle. Would lead to real merc-contracts, not only "LOL TAKE 10000 TROOPS AND SMASH" possible. Also, as a good merc you dont need to produce items, you can buy them. If you are a bad merc, you dont deserve good equipment anyways. If the "mercenary" player runs out of his tickets, he can continue to fight as nameless soldier of my army.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »
If I fight an army of the fallens, I want to fight an army of fallens. Not the usual costume party we get on the crpg servers. A few mercenaries that have to be close on the stratgus map to be able to bring their own stuff are fine, but if everyone is able to bring stuff, its the same as crpg with bannerbalance.

Yup.

If I select equipment we have themed battle. If everyone brings his own we have cRPG.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 12:04:59 am »
Yeh, we would need a  button that allows you to tag along with another player as part of their band or else coordinating movements of everyone togetehr for battle would be impossible.  So mmore like singl player warbands and each plyer is like those heroes you recruited with the other tags being random mercs who get just assigned equipment.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 04:08:34 am »
I'm with Leiknir in this one!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Eyerra

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »
Genious. I'd love this. :D

My boss never has the gear I'm best wearin'.