Author Topic: what do u think about (dedicated) xbow-men??  (Read 2786 times)

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: what do u think about (dedicated) xbow-men??
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 08:40:40 am »
Not true. In fact, the last time I was playing I got one shot by an arbalest on my 7 IF character, when I was wearing 40 body armor.
Well,I dont know but the last time I was playing on my 160wpf dedicated crossbowmen (yeye I know that wpf has no impact on the dmg) I couldnt oneshot a naked guy who was standing like 5 meters away from me. Maybe youve been headshotted or something?

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 10:09:53 am »
xbow onshots are only able with mw xbow and mw steelbolts.....same with mw bows.......and swords...and...and

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 11:23:51 am »
A Dedicated Crossbowman is a massively situational class.  You qualify if you have over 150 in crossbow. 

It's performance is based on:

1:  The Weather.  Due to rain, the class is crippled one out of every two games.
2: The Map and Gametype.  A Crossbowman's ideal situation is a map and gametype that allows him to avoid melee, cavalry and have cover from archery the majority of the round.  This avoidance allows him to actually be a crossbowman, getting off a reasonable number of shots before getting ganked.
The damage is justified by the immense loading time and crippling equipment limitations.  You also exaggerate, the Arbalest does not one shot everyone and everything everytime.  It's damage is variable to a great degree, as per example, I was unable to one hit kill a naked archer in the chest at 20m on three separate attempts.  Yet a headshot under 10m on an Armet will kill two out of three times.
Rain is a retarded mechanic, in fact, it's the only thing balancing out xbows atm.
The map, well, every class suffers from that. You are clearly overexagerating the fact that rain would make you situational.

The damage is not justified by the loading time, and it isn't even to be called immense anymore. When talking about balance you have to take into account a character with at least a MW weapon if necessary, and I can tell you, Dave has oneshot me with his MW Arbalest a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I play an xbowman myself on my Magikarp alt, but I am appalled how effetive he is without even needing a high lvl and without any heirlooming.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 03:22:51 pm »
Crossbows are situational, like MadJack already stated. Nobody cares about xbows when it's open maps, when they're being stalked by cavalry, targeted by archers and run over by infantry, but when a crossbowman can show his best use in an urban map, people start to whine about them.

They're sometimes effective, sometimes not even close to effective. Why whine?
Shielders have autoblock and can be effective in every map. Nerf shields and one-handers then?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »
Crossbows are situational, like MadJack already stated. Nobody cares about xbows when it's open maps, when they're being stalked by cavalry, targeted by archers and run over by infantry, but when a crossbowman can show his best use in an urban map, people start to whine about them.

They're sometimes effective, sometimes not even close to effective. Why whine?
Shielders have autoblock and can be effective in every map. Nerf shields and one-handers then?
100 pierce damage per shot is just OP, it's insane, I don't even know why xbowmen get so much better heirlooms than other classes.
Xbows in open maps still rock, in fact, I think it's where they thrive if played correctly. If a cav guy charges you, you shoot him, hes dead.
You just need to stick to your team if you want to survive, but thats the same with every other class.

Don't mind the fish.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »
I'm impressed how many people think the weapon that kills me least is overpowered. Throwers still kill me more than crossbows and they're far rarer. They're really nothing more than back up weapons in my opinion. Sure you can be a "dedicated xbow", but that's almost a waste. Hell, is there even anybody known for being a deadly crossbowman?

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 04:33:00 pm »
100 pierce damage per shot is just OP, it's insane, I don't even know why xbowmen get so much better heirlooms than other classes.
(click to show/hide)

Xbows in open maps still rock, in fact, I think it's where they thrive if played correctly. If a cav guy charges you, you shoot him, hes dead.
You just need to stick to your team if you want to survive, but thats the same with every other class.
So you essentially agree with my statement that they are situational.  Being that you gave a situation.  Also, you cite survivability, which is not what we are discussing.  The lowliest peasant can flock around with the herd and survive until the end of the round.  We are discussing lethality, and being a ranged class, they should be reasonably lethal at range like a melee character is in melee, yes?

Open maps are the worst because the lack of obstacles and cover give archers and cavalry ample opportunity to perforate us while we stand still reloading.  Actually getting kills is a nightmare also.  A ranged character knows a target that is unaware of him is the easiest to hit.  A character aware will watch you, anticipate your shots, dodge, or simply direct his shield at you.  It is difficult to maintain stealth on a open grassy plain.  Further more, crossbowmen excel in urban areas due to being able to camp and cover lines of 'predictable movement'.  Such as a ladder or street.  On a plain, there is no predictable movement, a target can zig zag any which way, and they do, often.  The clear line of sight floods the target with stimulus causing them to switch viewpoints and react to events around them.  Events which would be otherwise invisible in an urban area.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:36:36 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »
I'm impressed how many people think the weapon that kills me least is overpowered. Throwers still kill me more than crossbows and they're far rarer. They're really nothing more than back up weapons in my opinion. Sure you can be a "dedicated xbow", but that's almost a waste. Hell, is there even anybody known for being a deadly crossbowman?

On the NA servers good god yes. If it is not Raining Fallen_With_Stupid can be a devilish little man with that thing, and any of the old-school Battlefield Operators from RS (Now Chaos) will put the fear of god in you with the Arb' such as Dark Karma or Weebo (again, if it is not raining). Nothing says results like that 38-0 score of Dark Karma's when all he was doing was shooting in Battle... Thankfully he likes to melee a bit too.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »

Small change upcoming. Btw, reading 100 pierce and saying op doesn't really give you much to say. I've played with MW Arbalest and MW Steel Bolts a long time. Damage varies a lot. Sometimes you'll one-shot people in pretty good armor, sometimes you won't one-shot people in leather or worse.

I've been crossbowman for a long time, as already mentioned. Random plains is not where crossbowmen thrive. Reloading still for four seconds in the open with all archers watching you and cav circling around waiting for targets. No, just no.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 04:17:32 am »
Anyone tried xbow sniping with this new patch yet?  The bolt animations are so small that I can't see where they land.  It's really messing me up, I feel like I need to be a god damn jedi master to hit distant targets...
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 05:27:17 am »
Well,I dont know but the last time I was playing on my 160wpf dedicated crossbowmen (yeye I know that wpf has no impact on the dmg) I couldnt oneshot a naked guy who was standing like 5 meters away from me. Maybe youve been headshotted or something?

No, just a regular body shot.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:03 am »
regular bodyshot, onehit, with 49 body armor, 24 str and 2 IF. Moving away from the xbow user. Got unlucky i guess.  :mrgreen:

Will wait to see more, but... i still hate xbows. But i'll maybe hate throwing more in a few days.
Still a pity the regular xbow is only 1slot. And that bolts don't need as much repairing as arrows. (this is plain stupid)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;