Author Topic: Thranduil's Battle and Siege Maps [Feedback]  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
Thranduil's Battle and Siege Maps [Feedback]
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:44 am »
+3
Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/mods/2473/?
The maps can be downloaded individually from this link.

MAJOR UPDATES and some slight renovating.

Well, almost a year ago, Teeth told me to update these maps. At the time I really couldn't get into renovating, only moving forward with the new, no matter how bad it was. Now I can't really get into making something new, but I like the idea of going back to previous endeavors.  :lol: I am so fickle. Anywho....

Battle

Bariyye
It's native city number whatever, but I always thought it was the coolest native city, so years ago I added a few ladders and ramps to allow rooftop fighting. Not really sure if this would play well on the servers anymore, given its size, but hey, might as well keep the option open.
***Updates***
Added another route on ground to roofs for inside spawn and made inside spawn area larger. Removed AI mesh to decrease file size. Replaced/removed some minor objects. Moved flag locations.
(click to show/hide)

Blue Forest (formerly Blue Bells & Beech Trees which was too long a name)
This map has seen many changes over time. Originally it was just trees and blue flowers EVERYWHERE. Games were crashed, complaints were filed, and 80% of the forest was cut down (and the tree type changed), and a rope bridge was added to the trees while the slopes were smoothed out. A LOT. The latest update has been no less radical.
***Updates***
Slopes have been smoothed out MASSIVELY. Some trees removed (down to 15% of original number). Plants redone from scratch. Spawn and flag locations changed. The stair climbs don't take as long either as the platforms are not as high anymore. Creek is more shallow and dried up in spots for better crossing. Wooden fence guards on ground are taller for better protection from ranged. And of course, AI mesh removed.
(click to show/hide)

Burning of the Ships
Another smaller map I think. One of my very first maps. Balbaroth once called it the most balanced map he had ever played. In his defense, there were no more than 15 maps in rotation at the time, and half of them were mine, so probabilities were in my favor, and he didn't technically call it balanced, just the most balanced. :lol:
***Updates***
Removed AI mesh to decrease file size (and boy did it decrease by half!). Moved spawn points and flags. Made beach area a little larger.
(click to show/hide)

City Under Siege
I was gonna list this under "Maps I left to die and why" because it is too large. File size too large, map too large. This was originally designed for a 150+ man
server when it's full, and the design had changed too many times for me to have even a foggy idea what I wanted to do with it. That is, until I found the original file.
***Updates***
Removed AI mesh (dear God it dropped from 540kb to 260kb!) Removed some ladders and buildings. Worked on terrain a bit (smoothing, coloring, textures) and got rid of the inner walls so the city is far more open. Placed a low wall along the perimeter where the barriers are. Removed a lot of smoke for particle effects, cut back on torches, deleted items that no longer exist in cRPG, and moved spawns and flags.
(click to show/hide)

Ice Age
Oh yeah. The one that made absolutely no frickin' sense is back! Sadly, I had to get rid of the standalone gatehouse to make room for a winter village (we didn't have snowy houses back in my day, boy! If we wanted snow on houses, we had to put it there ourselves and it was never worth it!) TY devs for EZ mode. :mrgreen:
***Updates***
Removed AI mesh to decrease file size. Moved spawns and flags. Smoothed the terrain out a lot. Made the water more shallow. Removed gatehouse and replaced it with a frozen village. Lightened the terrain color a bit so it isn't pure ice blue.
(click to show/hide)

Prison Riot
I don't know if this ever got into rotation and I doubt it ever will, but it's here nonetheless. It isn't cav friendly (though there is nowhere a horse cannot go by walking forward) and it isn't very archer friendly either I suppose, what with corners to hide behind. You can imagine then why it hasn't been played.
***Updates***
Added trees to courtyard..... Nothing else to do really.
(click to show/hide)

Pueblo Village
I really can't think what to do different. I think people don't like it because it isn't cav friendly, which is ok. It got played a lot in the past, so I'm satisfied.  :)
***Updates***
Moved flags. Replaced a barrier.
(click to show/hide)

Rivendell
(click to show/hide)

RuIn
(click to show/hide)
It's already in rotation and I haven't heard further complaints, so no update.  :P

Thawing Tundra
I made this map based on a picture of the Alaskan tundra, and thought to try a balanced map where it's a snowy alternative to random plains. I might have achieved too much balance since the multiplier just goes back and forth on this map and there have been a few complaints.
***Updates***
Moved spawns and flags. Changed log bridge out for stone bridge. Added a log cabin and stable for ranged protection. Added a wooden bridge to cross the ford (or fjord for you vikings). Main fighting should no longer take place in river.
(click to show/hide)

Winter Village
(click to show/hide)
It's already in rotation and I haven't heard further complaints, so no update.  :P

Siege

Bragelon Castle
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Bridge of Eldia
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Irongron Castle
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Viking Village Siege Edition
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Maps I left to die and why:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:50:04 pm by Thranduil »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Thranduil's Battle Maps [Feedback]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:01 am »
If you wish to download an individual map without downloading the entire set, (other than the three listed) let me know and I'll be happy to make another download for that map.

Maps are downloaded individually now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:46:26 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:51:23 am »
***UPDATE*** 12/23/2012

Updated Prison Riot after learning the terrain code did not match the .sco file.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:28:13 am by Thranduil »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:02 am »
***UPDATE*** 12/26/2012

Updated Pueblo Village after being reminded (God only knows how many times I've forgotten) that there's a spot one can easily get stuck on. Fixed the spot, new download with all battle maps, or just alone here: http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/2501.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:41:10 am by Thranduil »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:10:39 am »
and very likely this, and can someone tell me why the hell my image posts don't show and instead say chocolate chip cookie? or rather, does it have anything to do with image restrictions or limits on the site?

Santa's Castle:
[IMG]http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/pb4reak/M_chocolate chip cookiemg]
[IMG]http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/pb4reak/M_chocolate chip cookiemg]

*****Until such time as I can get the updated screenshots on this forum, check the download link for pics.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:38:54 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »
The url your posting for the pics ain't correct, as the error image says, someone either moved or deleted the pics from the address.
But if you copy url and use [img][/img.] from your earlier working links i think that would be easiest to fix this.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
The url your posting for the pics ain't correct, as the error image says, someone either moved or deleted the pics from the address.
But if you copy url and use [img][/img.] from your earlier working links i think that would be easiest to fix this.
That's the weird thing. The links are correct. They are the same links I used on Mount & Blade Nexus. The links shouldn't be broken at all. I suppose I may just have to use the old pics, though some of them are no longer accurate.

Thanks BTW. I had all but forgotten those were still there. Saved me about an hour of going through my photobucket account copying links!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:39:48 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »
So, I've been working on a Battle/Siege map. The Battle portion is done, and I'll add more to make a separate Siege map. Since the Siege map will incorporate the Battle map, I thought I'd try for some feedback or comments on what I have.

Bridge of Eldia:

(click to show/hide)

Any feedback is welcome. If you'd like to take your own tour, let me know and I'll go ahead and upload it to M&B Nexus.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:16 pm »
The bridge looks excellent, but the terrain looks a bit dull tbh.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:38:55 pm »
The bridge looks excellent, but the terrain looks a bit dull tbh.

Thanks! Yeah, my entire focus was the bridge.  What about the terrain needs work do you think? The textures or the elevations (smoother, more rugged)?

For the Siege map, that round mound on the left is where I plan to put a castle, though for the Battle version, it really isn't necessary come to think of it.

Went back and tried to muddy the place up a little bit.

(click to show/hide)

....aaaaaaannnnddd... I'm glad I made a backup, cause painting the landscape added another 200kb to the size! Well, it's still under 400kb, so I guess it's fine if it improves the look.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:07:34 pm by Thranduil »

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:13 pm »
Thanks! Yeah, my entire focus was the bridge.  What about the terrain needs work do you think? The textures or the elevations (smoother, more rugged)?

For the Siege map, that round mound on the left is where I plan to put a castle, though for the Battle version, it really isn't necessary come to think of it.

Went back and tried to muddy the place up a little bit.

(click to show/hide)
Looks a bit better now, but what I really think it could use is a few trees, rocks, and bushes, not that many, just a few, it would improve it a lot.
EDIT: I'd also advice covering the tops of the cliffs in some rocks shaped in a way to cause a long and deadly fall if you step off the ledge, it takes a while but it makes cliffs look a lot better and it prevents abusers from sitting halfway up and halfway down on them while shooting and being practically invulnerable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:10:30 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:08:33 pm »
Righty then, a smattering of foilage coming right up!

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 08:46:54 pm »
Foilage added:

(click to show/hide)

I removed the vegetation (what little there was) from the terrain code since that varies depending on user's grass density settings. (On low grass density, the setting puts a tree right in the bridge.  :rolleyes: )

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »
Looks a lot better already, a bit of handplaced foliage would do wonders though.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »
I must say, cliffs are not my strong point.  :oops:

(click to show/hide)

Edit* lol. I might need to take a break. I look at my picture and I start trying to move in like in the editor. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:44:06 pm by Thranduil »