Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125255 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1020 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:45 am »
They took out the Shogun 2 multiplayer system (yeah it had its problems, but it was also vastly superior to this out dated 1998 "lolbrowser" bullshit). Dumb game.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:48 am »
Naval battle, 80% success rate, so I decided to give it a try personally:

An entire unit has perished.

The general has fallen...

WTF am I doing wrong?

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #1022 on: September 04, 2013, 03:13:56 am »
Well, this has been a fun evening. Maybe tomorrow, I'll actually get to play... :|

Offline Emotion

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 145
  • pls
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Friends with Benefits
  • Game nicks: Noodles
  • IRC nick: Noodles
« Reply #1023 on: September 04, 2013, 03:15:44 am »
Game runs great. Playing on Extreme.
Crashed twice, but games crash for me once in awhile anyways.
I use missile infantry in sieges too and their troops either rush mine or get the fuck out of the way, don't understand your problems with AI standing still.
Playing as Sparta 12 hours in, having a ton of fun. Took over everything up to Macedon and a little after. Typulis or whatever... minor faction is actually giving me more trouble than Epirus, Athens, and Macedon combined. Campaign AI is much better. Battle AI is definitely better but not as much as I had hoped.
One thing I hate is siegeing a province and waiting for them to sally-out and I have to defend a VP. Doesn't make sense to me.
Province management is way better.
Sound bug once in awhile that makes a "weird sound" for a very short duration.
Other than a few minor things, the game is great I'm sorry for all you guys having issues and not being satisfied. Worth well over 60 bucks imo.
Quote from: Testicleez
Noodles (Nibbles): One of my top dawgs. A godly c-rpg player and a chill ass muhfucka'. He's supposed to be adopting me once he gets married. One day I'll get him to order me a pizza… One day.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1024 on: September 04, 2013, 03:58:48 am »
They took out the Shogun 2 multiplayer system (yeah it had its problems, but it was also vastly superior to this out dated 1998 "lolbrowser" bullshit). Dumb game.

They went back to Classic Multiplayer because they are making "Total War: Arena" which is going to contain all the leveling up and customization etc.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #1025 on: September 04, 2013, 04:28:54 am »
They went back to Classic Multiplayer because they are making "Total War: Arena" which is going to contain all the leveling up and customization etc.

I didn't know this was a thing. After reading up on it, it sounds a little interesting but it also sounds nothing like the real Total War experience (you pick out of preset historical generals, limited to a single type of unit, etc). The Shogun 2 system had its quirks but that's why you make new titles.. to improve shit about it. The map control/clans/unit persistence was a step in the right direction. Going back to straight up lobby while they make this weird arena shit is two steps backwards and one step to the side.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #1026 on: September 04, 2013, 04:30:58 am »
+2
I hope that when i have time to play this it will run well. If not i will go to CA offices and torch their building.
Turtles

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #1027 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:47 am »
Game runs great. Playing on Extreme.
Crashed twice, but games crash for me once in awhile anyways.
I use missile infantry in sieges too and their troops either rush mine or get the fuck out of the way, don't understand your problems with AI standing still.
Playing as Sparta 12 hours in, having a ton of fun. Took over everything up to Macedon and a little after. Typulis or whatever... minor faction is actually giving me more trouble than Epirus, Athens, and Macedon combined. Campaign AI is much better. Battle AI is definitely better but not as much as I had hoped.
One thing I hate is siegeing a province and waiting for them to sally-out and I have to defend a VP. Doesn't make sense to me.
Province management is way better.
Sound bug once in awhile that makes a "weird sound" for a very short duration.
Other than a few minor things, the game is great I'm sorry for all you guys having issues and not being satisfied. Worth well over 60 bucks imo.

in that prolog thing I played I used the slingers to take out half the enemy.. they just stood there till I ran out of rocks to fling. Then I had to march over to them with my melee to get them to actually fight back
Leader of BS

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:40 am »
It seems like the biggest change is that unit quality matters a lot now. Inferior units barely kill anyone from better quality units. In M2TW you could expect to lose 20-40 men out of a 120 man top-of-the-line infantry unit when fighting against average infantry. In Rome 2 you lose 0-1 men. At least that's my observation so far.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #1029 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:44 am »
It seems like the biggest change is that unit quality matters a lot now. Inferior units barely kill anyone from better quality units. In M2TW you could expect to lose 20-40 men out of a 120 man top-of-the-line infantry unit when fighting against average infantry. In Rome 2 you lose 0-1 men. At least that's my observation so far.

So elite infantry vs average infantry equals complete annihilation of the average infantry with no losses to the elite? Shit.

What unit vs what unit when you noticed this?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:03 am »
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Think it's 70, not sure), Intel Core i5 750, 8 GB Ram. I built it two years a go for like 450 euro. Have trouble running a lot of newer games at decent graphics, but Rome 2 runs quite well.

I have pretty much the same and runs rome 2 with decent fps on extreme as well, bar it getting just slightly choppy when a lot of units clash. Guess it's just bad optimization from CA.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:16 am »
Meh, my game could ship any moment now and I still don't know if I even want to keep it. It's impossible to get an idea of the game, when half the people are giving it 0/10 because they can't run it, and the other half are giving 10/10 to counter the 0/10 ratings... I don't care so much about technical issues that will get solved sooner or later. Sure, people have a right to be angry, but it's not relevant when rating a game or deciding wether you actually want to have it. That kind of retaliation is not very helpful.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 04, 2013, 08:35:48 am »
So elite infantry vs average infantry equals complete annihilation of the average infantry with no losses to the elite? Shit.

What unit vs what unit when you noticed this?

With any units, basically. In my campaign I'm constantly winning battles with like 10 losses and 1000 kills, just meleezerging opponents with the first available Roman infantry (hastatii?). The melees can take long, and in earlier Total Wars I would have taken at least 200-300 casualties myself.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #1033 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:45 am »
+2
Here  my pro rating: A weak 3/5, typical CA release. It's needs 6 month of patches and a lot of mod TLC.

Trading with AI is near impossible (like getting Trade Agreements withouth paying for it), though they keep insisting I Give them money, because, uh, they need it. Diplomacy broken, at least on hard.
Lack of (coffee) makes me post things I shouldn't. My game just broke because my opponent accepted joining my confederation (for the third time, insta kills it).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:55:21 am by Jacko »
Monkeys!

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #1034 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
With any units, basically. In my campaign I'm constantly winning battles with like 10 losses and 1000 kills, just meleezerging opponents with the first available Roman infantry (hastatii?). The melees can take long, and in earlier Total Wars I would have taken at least 200-300 casualties myself.

That's shameful. I can definitely confirm that you'd take much more losses than 10 with hastati in rome I.

Guess the romans are OP for now. They'll probably tone that down soon enough. So enjoy it while you can.