Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 126977 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1035 on: September 04, 2013, 08:54:32 am »
I don't have any problem with trading personally, it's hard, but it's mainly hard because no one likes me. Those that are neutral are far more open to trade, so I'm trading with 5 factions now. Didn't pay anything for it.

However, playing normal difficulty with Romans is waaaaaay too easy. Like Xant said, taking 1 casualty for every hundred of theirs. I gave up on velites, because they died too easily, now I'm rolling only principes and cavalry. Kills everything I've encountered so far, and I've fought Venetii, Etruscans and Carthage.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:16 am »
That's shameful. I can definitely confirm that you'd take much more losses than 10 with hastati in rome I.

Guess the romans are OP for now. They'll probably tone that down soon enough. So enjoy it while you can.

It isn't just the Romans, it's in general. Same thing in my Spartan campaign.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:18 am »
Also, what about ranged? Anyone getting good use out of them? I've started making pure melee armies because of the ridiculously low range of archers, and they don't seem very effective either.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47:08 am »
I have some OP slingers (6 with 1-3 gold chevrons), pretty decent if you can get them shooting the enemy. Battles are over way to fast (large battles versus AI takes 5 minutes).
Monkeys!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2013, 09:53:02 am »
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/77224-Multiplayer-Balance?s=b074d157e961697b7fcdaa45ec201cda

Overall this is pretty telling. Common consensus is basically that it's a melee blob fest with no real skill involved, heavy infantry overpowered and ranged underpowered. Oh well. Not that different from other Total Wars IMO. Only Napoleon has good, balanced battles with real tactics.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
Here  my pro rating: A weak 3/5, typical CA release. It's needs 6 month of patches and a lot of mod TLC.

Trading with AI is near impossible (like getting Trade Agreements withouth paying for it), though they keep insisting I Give them money, because, uh, they need it. Diplomacy broken, at least on hard.
Lack of (coffee) makes me post things I shouldn't. My game just broke because my opponent accepted joining my confederation (for the third time, insta kills it).

So then you'd say there is nothing so fundamentally wrong with the game design and balance that it couldn't be fixed with patches and (if necessary) mods? Nothing to stop it from eventually becoming superior to Rome 1 in every way? Only release problems?... In that case I might as well risk opening the box, I guess.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:25 am »
You might actually risk forming your own opinion? Sounds dangerous!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:22 am »
Also, what about ranged? Anyone getting good use out of them? I've started making pure melee armies because of the ridiculously low range of archers, and they don't seem very effective either.
I have some slingers, they seem pretty effective at killing retarded defending AI which doesn't attack me when I stand halfway into their village slowly killing off the garrison. Kinda breaks my campaign, taking towns is piss easy because I can just let my 4 stacks of slingers kill off 1200 men. They do very well against high tier units as well, inflicting considerable casualties on them. Noticed this myself as well, I tried tanking their ranged with my most heavily armoured unit, but it got wrecked all the same. The game is more fast paced than MTW 2 though, so in field battles you barely get time to skirmish.

Not a multiplayer exper at all, but definitely thinking about using some slingers. They are dirt cheap and putting them a bit away on the flanks of my force while I protect them with some spears or screen them with cav might actually prove useful.

My main gripe with the game so far is that fatigue seems pretty much removed as a concept. Fights seem be over rather quick and running doesn't seem to tire my troops at all. Haven't payed too much attention to it, but I am not sure whether I have ever seen a not 'Fresh' unit. Haven't fought much quality units in my campaign yet though, maybe the fights last longer then.

Anyone used phalanxes in multiplayer? They don't seem to function as a good anvil anymore. Enemy units just bumrush them in the front, sustaining heavy casualties when they do but effectively wrecking the phalanx and finishing the fight very quickly with the result going either way. Maybe using the bracing ability might help though. Not sure if I am too fond of them so far.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:18 am »
+3
You might actually risk forming your own opinion? Sounds dangerous!

Lol, it's Mr Judgemental again ^^

Problem is, the moment I open that box, my 40€ stop being refundable. That's the "dangerous" part. After all I've read about the game, I am having my doubts. So I'm asking for opinions, which are free. Besides, I hate to buy full-priced games only to find out I totally disagree with the developer's design decisions. But then it's already too late and I actively supported them. If there was a demo, I'd say you have a point.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
my brief jumbled impressions
« Reply #1044 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:07 am »
there may be balance and optimisation issues, but they will be fixed eventually and the game is really growing on me.

there are alot of important redesign of vs previous TW game mechanics, such as recruitment and public order. old public order system was completely broken and exploitable by what I called tax fluctuation. and nice additions like all the different types of buildings/cultures, its just way more vast. overall a inteligence balance of simplfying boring gameplay, ie managing recruitment from each town, controlling up to 15 agents. and adding complexity to interesting parts of the game, siege, buildings/tech, cultures, pollitics etc.

would take me too much effort to list and explain all the nice changes rome 2 has, id rather be playing. But I think eventually it will be impossible to go back and play older TW games.

there are of course negatives, for instance the victory conditions seem crazy high. you get choice but 110 settlements is a fucking lot! needs a "short campaign" option like in shogun. game also seems alot easier altho I'm yet to play legendary but I won't want to until short campaign because it will just be too much fucking effort to take 110 settlements off full stacking AI cheaters.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1045 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:33 am »
+1

Problem is, the moment I open that box, my 40€ stop being refundable. That's the "dangerous" part. After all I've read about the game, I am having my doubts. So I'm asking for opinions, which are free. Besides, I hate to buy full-priced games only to find out I totally disagree with the developer's design decisions. But then it's already too late and I actively supported them. If there was a demo, I'd say you have a point.

No worries, everyone except mighty ptx understood you just fine.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 04, 2013, 10:54:16 am »

All PC games have demos bro. just checked already up on TPB.

kind of glad because my copy doesn't have DLC and I might like to try spartans and co at some point.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:24 am »

Ok, i didn't know this, i take that back, sorry.

I think it'll be worth the money, eventually, anyhow.

No worries, everyone except mighty ptx understood you just fine.
You seem to make a point of taking your hurt to other threads, whenever someone posts something you don't like :lol:

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:36 am »
All PC games have demos bro. just checked already up on TPB.

kind of glad because my copy doesn't have DLC and I might like to try spartans and co at some point.

Thanks for the tip, but my days of piracy are over ;)

However, if there should be some sort of hack to re-enable the cut out content (aka day one DLC), I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #1049 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:43 am »
im just annoyed i have to play in windowed mode, but also the fast pace battles are horrible, i used to play NTW3  a mod for Napoleon) some battles took up to 3 hours, now thats what i call a fun battle
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?